Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is my first post i also had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago and since then i have had pain in my lower back and a burning sensation very painful below my right rib cage. After years of pain i finally went to my Dr 2 weeks ago he gave me pain meds and sent me for a scan. i have had my scan results back and their was a shadow and some damage to my liver  (i don't drink) the Dr rang me with my results and has sent a letter for a surgeon to contact me via phone to make an appointment has anyone else been through this? thanks for taking the time to read and reply.
    • Posted

Hi katrina what scan did you go for if you dont mind me asking at lest something showed up and hopefully you will be pain free i am going for a ultra sund scan on friday amm hoping something shows up as cannt bare the pain at work xx
  • Posted

Hello there. I am 3 months post op and saw my GP today as I at times am really sore in area where gallbladder was. I also at times get really sharp pain where my right shoulder & arm meet and also in my right hand side of neck. He said it was probably nerve damage and that it should hopefully settle down soon.

I was surprised how sore it was when he pressed down in old GB area. Does this ring bells with you or anyone else?

• Posted

Yes, but that is the first time I have read it could be nerve damage. My GP said probably adhesions which is scar tissue.Hopefully when I go to him in two weeks , he will set up a CT scan so he can verify what it is exactly. What, if anything, can be done about nerve damage? Did your GP say?   rolleyes
    • Posted

He didn't say too much apart from to give it 6 weeks to see if it went & if not to go back to see him again.
    • Posted

Did he say to come back or not to come back? I may be misreading what you wrote. Six weeks? Something is wrong when you have pain and needs to be checked thoroughly. I do not tolerate pain well anyway and when I am having pain I get my doctor on the phone! I have found that Hydromorphone known as Dialuid (maybe spelled wrong) really helps with the pain. Hope you get some answers!!
    • Posted

Yes. He said to go back and see him if pain was still bad after another 6 weeks. Thanks for your advice re Hydromorphone.
  • Posted

Hello, I have had my GB out for 10 years now! 

Found out right away and had surgery. Recovery was good and fast. 

Live had this dull pain every since, in the same spot. Doctors have put me on omeprazole for 2 years now, it helps with all the acid but not for the pain. 

Ive had horrible bowl problems ever since as well. Colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood work, bowl tests, ultrasounds show nothing. I Think my doctor may think I'm crazy. 

I recently found out (on my own) dairy was a HUGE problem with all of this! 

I spoke with my doctor he said try no dairy for a week, then no gluten for a week, it's been 7 days no dairy, and I can already see a difference. I've went from 8-10 bowl movements daily to maybe 2 a day now on day 7.

i see my doctor next week. 

All of this and I'm only 30!!!

• Posted

I had mine out 10 years ago also. had the same issues you have had. Yes, dairy, fatty foods, even coffee will cause me diarrhea. I have to be careful about tossed salads too. Everything I love gives me diarrhea. I have IBS and the only way I eat what i am not supposed to is when I am going no where and I can easliy tolerate the bm. My pain according to my doctor may be adhesions. I go Thurs. to him and hopefully he will order a CT scan to verify. Hang in there! I will let you know about my test results.. smile
  • Posted

Hi I am post op 4 weeks after suffering with gallstones since Oct 2014, I was taken in as an emergency, my questions are is anyone else had lots of bloated ness, I was for about 10 days after my op, then last Mon I began to have a tummy like I am 7 months pregnant, and have also started to get a dull aching pain under my ribs exactly in the spot where I used to have horrendous pain before...I guess a trip back to the gp is on the cards for me....
  • Posted

hi happyalien

I also have residual pain after gall bladder removal. Same dull ache and it has been years, I also started getting that muscle cramp and the area is really sore. I had to have a ERCP after my gall bladder and the surgeon missed a stone and it was in the bile duct, although that was the past.. this dull ache and cramping is really getting me concerned. I see PCP this week I think it is time for a trip to the Gastro.

• Posted

Hi Happyalien,

Of what I've read on this thread, Its seems Most of us who have had Our Gallbladders removed are having ongoing problems, although this is my 8th day since Keyhole Surgery to remover my GB, I'm still getting quite a bit of pain on my rightside under rib cage, i no this will take time to heal, but leaflet states pain should resdie within 2-3weeks, Lol..I dought very much this is the Case, especalling reading everyones posts on here, same as you i keep getting Cramp like pains under my ribcage & cannot sleep on my right side, feels like it did before i had the Proceedure done, feels like i'm having gallbladder attacks but minus the Gallbladder if that makes any sence, Lol..Wow you had to have a ERCP because a gallstone was left behing & got stuck in your bile duct, not thats really Dangerous, this happened to my hubby last year, he was in a great deal of pain, Complaining of stomach cramps, we Initally thought it was a stomach bug or even mild food poising at the time, but the pain started to get progressively worse as days went on, stong pain releif did nothing to help him, So by the sunday morning he was in Agony & i Noticed his Colour was slightly Changing to a Yellowish Colour we couldn't go to Our Gp,s surgery as it was closed being the weekend, So i drove him to the Local Walk-in Medical Centre, I did want to take him to the ER Department but my hubby was Insistant on going to the Walk-in Medical Centre first Just incase he was a bad stomach Bug, As soon as they Examined him, they sent him straight off to hosptial, the Doctors there said it looks like he was Jaundice & could be the Liver, We were really worried at this point & thinking all sorts, Like Cancer..ect, they gave him much needed pain releif and a Xray, came back & Conifmed he had 2 Gallstones & one stuck in his bile Duct & in the eveing they mangaged to take both gallstones Out Via endoscopy i think? proceedure though his mouth & took them out that way! as soon as the Gallstone had been taken Out it was Instant releif, could have been much worse, Its Very Dangerous if gallstone get Lodged in the bile Duct & even fatility somtimes, So i'd adivce anyone with bad pain under left ribcage & stomach to get it Investergated! Lisa i wish you all the best when you see the PCP & hope the manage to find out whats going on, Please let us no what Happens on here :-) x

• Posted

So Sorry about my Spelling, Lol, Hope you can read it Ok
    • Posted

Hi Everyone.  Glad to find this list. I had lapro gall bladder surgery almost 3 weeks ago and am still suffering from a lot of gas and variable pain. Forturnately, it is not severe--sometimes worse than others.  Sometimes it more of a burning, sometimes like a stitch or general discomfort and pressure. Very uncomfortable and constant.  In communication with my surgeon who indicates that I wait.  

Had severe pain on day of surgery.  Repeated severe pain with episodes every 12 or 24 hours the first 6 days. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.