Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all,

Had My GallBladder Removed last week, thurs 19th Feb 15, and am still in some pain, I no its only early days for me compared to other,s on here, But my right side of tummy area feels quite hot & getting awful pain under my right rib cage & Kidney area, even pain killers like Co-Codmal arent helping that much, after the first 2days after the Op i could barely move my Arms & Legs were that painful & i,d felt as if i.d run a marathon, Lol

I'm actually not even sure what happened as it was only done by Key hole surgery, but they kept me in over night & i didn't even get to see the Surgen or Doctor before i left, all i was told was the Op went well when i asked the Aneisetist in the recovery room after my Op & was still prittey grogey at the time & only saw him for a few seconds,

When they Discharged me the nxt day they didn't even give me any info on what i should eat or when & all my Discharge Papers say that i had a thin walled gallbladder, Lol, they did put me on Ibrufen aswel in the hospital & nurse couldn't understand why that was, I ahte when idon't no whats happened after an Op, going to book an appointment to see my GP next week hopfully he can shead some light on what the Virdict of my Gallbladder was, Hope this pain Subsides soon! 

• Posted

WOW! The doctor did not see you and, you did not receive any instructions about what to do at home about your diet or anything? I would have been very upset. Why did they keep you overnight? Keyhole ususally is out-patient and you go home after 2-3 hours from waking up.You need to ask a few questions when you see your GP next week!
    • Posted

Hi Angela,

i no its awful if i think about the way they treated me after my Gallbladder Op, they stuck me in a side roon on the Liver ward of my Local hospital, which was the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham Uk, because there wasn't any beds any where else, I wanted to go home that evening but they kept me in over night beacuse of Pain i was in, also suffer with Ashma & think this may of also been reason they kep me in over night, but would have liked to have no how many Gallstones they found & what was actaully wrong with my gallbladder at least! this is my 8th day since GB Op & still in pain, can't sleep on right side where Incissions were made, Very Brused! Hope it goes soon, but reading some of your posts, looks like its not as straight forward as all that!! thanks all for commeting back!

• Posted

Painwise, this sounds like my experience. Tons of gas, pain in and around the abdomen and I am in day 20.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi,

Not to be disheartening, but I like the other posts have had continued pain, has got progressively worse. Had my gallbladder removed 2years ago, but had several severe attacks last summer and pains have been daily. However, after many MRI s, ct scans, all the diff tests...I fall into the group of unknown..no solutions other than go to the chronic pain team...try manage the mix of pain relief I am now on. I have subsequently got a stomach ulcer..which is also not nice. Really hope your pains passes x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I think i'm starting to realise that this isn't going to be as stright forward as i Initually thought, Sorry to hear about all the pain you continute to get, its not on is it, also having had a stomach Ulcer myself i no how painful that is, hope they mangage to find out the cause of your pain hun, like i said to others Demand to have ongoing Investigations, its your body here thats Suffereing not there,s, wish you all the luck hun, I'm still in a bit of pain, mainly where my ribcage is & a lot of Bursing, One of the Surgens did say to me beofe i had the Gallbladder Op that it would take up to one year for everything to settle down!! we shall see, all the Best x

• Posted

This morning that dull ache behind my ribs and rt shoulder woke me out my sleep. There was shortness of breath again, so I went to ER. Diagnosis, acid reflux. I've had this issue like everyone else since shortly after my gall bladder surgery in 2013. I have been taking omeprazole for YEARS since 1997 because I have reflux disease. Reflux is not this. I feel like I have mini gall bladder attacks. I am going to go back to my Gastrointestinal doc and insist on the scope. Although my gall bladder was diagnosed relatively quick with only 1 really bad attack, this ache under my ribs and shoulder blades is miserable. Thank you all for the validation. How do doctors not understand, if I can google it why can't they?
    • Posted

Hi Annissa,

If i were you hun, I go back to your Gastroinestinal Doc & demand proper Investigations, especailly after so many years of suffereing, somtimes i feel like these surgens see us as Cattle meat, as they preform so many of these gallbladder procedures its nothing to them, they don't no what pain the Paients go though unless they have had an Op themselves before, were Just a number on a hospital Band, hope things will change in the future, I Wish you all the Luck sweety, Let us no how you get on with your Gastrointestinal doc, remember its your body, you treat it with Respect, So make sure they do aswel!!! x

• Posted

I also have pain and discomfort 10 months after my surgery.  It seems to be fairly common from what I am reading.  I actually felt pretty good for about 6-7 months but the pain and discomfort seems to be getting somewhat worse with time.  I suffered for several years until I almost died.  I was rushed to the hospital last March and was misdiagnosed and sent home.  2 months later I went to a new doctor who told me I was dying.  My pancretis  and liver were in full of stones.  That was a Thurday.  Friday I was in the hospital and Saturday was my first surgery.  Another surgery on Monday and a third surgery 6 weeks later.  Thank you for the information and support.

• Posted

Does anyone ever get gurgling on their side too? My doctor wants to do an endoscopy to look for ulcers.
  • Posted

Does anyone have gurgling in their side?. Had my gallbladder out in 2007. Still get pain under ribs. Dr wants to do an endoscopy to check for ulcers.
  • Posted

Hi

I had a similar op in June 2012 and have been plagued by pain in the area ever since. Repeatedly told by GP that at first, I was healing so should be patient. Then,  the pain was bearable so i should not worry. Of late it has become excruciating as opposed to the feeling like a constant tootache in the  tummy. Saw a Dr at the surgery today (06/03/2015) who asked me what I would like him to do. I replied he is the medic and he should be advising ME on what he could/would do as am becoming suicidal (sound extreme but its true). He believes I may have scar tissue. He prescribed Tramadol as a strong painkiller and suggested buying OTC laxative to counteract the constipation that is likely to follow the intake of Tramadol. He is obviously treating the symptom and not establishing and treating the CAUSE. This leads me to think I may have to (1) be on long term  tramadol risking becoming addicted to it in time (2) resigning myself to living with the  pain for the rest of my life. I relish neither options and fear what the impending depression could e

drive me to do. The Doctors just dont care anymore. The more moner the Govt. pays them the less work they do. The latest of course is £55 for every person referred for assessment for Alzheimers to aid early ddetection and treatment. I will not be surprised I get referred for a cognitive test as my pain is driving me scatty and I am forgetting or slow to recall simple facts. If you can get a GP appointment, I would suggest to just pester your Dr until he/she comes up with something sensible. Dont be driven  to suicide like me and dont wait for over 2 years like my stupid self. Good luck

• Posted

Tara I am in the same boat as you. Was just placed on Tramadol last week for pain and "possible scar tissue". Like you, I am going mad. My anxiety is the highest EVER from being in pain all the time so I was also put on antidepressants. I have to wonder if ANYONE truly knows what is causing this and why SO many people suffer, yet there are no answers.
    • Posted

This to Tara also. My GP told me it was probably scar tissue. I have not been able to see him since I changed insurance. I am waiting to see if he is going to be in the network. When he is believe me I will demand a ct scan to see if this pain is adhesions and I will have them lasered out! I do not stop until the cause is found out!
    • Posted

Jennifer, following visit to  GP who suggested I go to A&E if pain persists, I did so yesterday. Spent 7 hours while various tests (blood) done and CXR & ECG  also done. Told since it is now a continuing problem I should not have gone to A&E but consulted GP instead. So GP says go to A&E and A&E says see GP. In the  meantime I suffer.  Its frustrating that no one cares. Treating the symptom (pain) without establishing the CAUSE is going to get us nowhere. Repeated visits to GP is another problem as appointments are at a Premium. I strongly feel I must start making a date with the crematorium!! Not yet on antidepressants as tha will be treatment yet again, for another symptom  while the cause remains unexplored. I feel sorry for both of us.
    • Posted

To all who experience pain after GB removal. Don't give up keep going to docs until it's found. It took ten years and 8 docs before they found my GB ha stones and bile duct was blocked with a stone. It heriditary in my family. Foods also an important factor.

hope you all are finding the cause of your pain and have resolved it by now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.