Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I find I get the pain when I eat certain food. Perhaps its foods that gave me my gallbladder problem in the first place.
  • Posted

I must join in this discussion as my gb was removed 23 days ago and I am still suffering.  Pain is intermittent, under right rib cage & radiating around to my back. I have had some indigestion as well.  I have been taking Rx pain meds about once each day and supplementing with my heating pad.  Visited my surgeon today and was astounded by his response to my complaints.  He stated, " well, there's only one answer, if you're still having pain, maybe it wasn't your gallbladder."  The CT & US I had on 3/31/15 indicated I had a gallstone and based on my complaints, he proceeded with the surgery.  Today he said that my gb was not infected, nor did I have any stones.  He said, "it didn't look that bad."I was in such shock that I hardly reacted.  Plan:  Omeprazole 40 mg, 2x a day for 2 wks and re-assess @next visit. The only complications indicated in the Op report are omental adhesions to the gallbladder and another between right fallopian tube and the anterior abdominal wall. Having shared this, I feel somewhat less anxious.  Thank you for offereing this forum.
    • Posted

Sounds like my recover.  It was more than 2 months before I began to feel almost normal.  My surgeon kept telliing me:  Recover should be 3 weeks!  Good luck.  
    • Posted

I am encouraged by your response.......I will be patient and take my Omeprazole as instructed, hopefully condition will improve.
  • Posted

Hi guys, when I was first diagnosed with gallbladder trouble and whilst waiting for the op . I changed my eating habits and cut out all fat foods, I lost weight ,but better still I lost the pain . I had to wait 2 years for the operation and in that time I wasn't in pain. I have now just been told by a family member who also had the op 20years ago and has been feeling a bit off to say the least lately , that having test done at the hospital they removed a gall stone from her Liver , now this made me sit up, does that mean we can get them again , she's totally shocked but I am now questioning did she hear right did they mean a stone and not gallstone. Anyway I am now going to check this out properly and will let you know the outcome. Let's hope she heard wrong, on the other hand maybe a lot of problems could be connected to this. 

• Posted

Yes gallstones occur over and over. Especially by foods eaten. That's why they normally just remove the gallbladder once stones are found. Even liver stones are rare as my son is prone to kidney stones
  • Posted

Reading thru the various post operation problems might suggest that the very rare condition Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD) is present.

4 months after surgery I am very familiar with many of the issues aired. 

The immeditate remedy is Tramadore(excuse the spelling?) injection (this is a Contolled Drug so you need to have your doctor organised with the serum)  in the upper leg muscle. It is not a solution but is for pain relief and if received very early in the pain cycle can achieve  a good result. 

Some day there will be  a solution to SOD but it is a horrrible condition.

If any one is having other treatments please do post them.

• Posted

Has anyone who has the same pain after gallbladder removal considered GERD? I had my gallbladder removed in March. Everything was fine until a few days ago. Then the pain returned more intense than ever! A previous doctor told me I had GERD. Looks like she was right 😞
  • Posted

Hi happyalien.I know all to well what your going through. I had mine out in august of 1998 and to this day July 4 th 2015 I still get savior pain. I had an attack today. I get them so bad I get sick. I have even passed out. And they still can't tell me what it is from. The one I had today. I was taking a nap and it woke me up.i was in so much pain and they scare me so bad. I know when I'm going to have one. My mouth gets dry and my hands and for head gets real sweaty. I was driving my 16 year old son home from a game and staying having one. But this one for some reason I passed out at the wheel. Thank God. God had his hands on the wheel and his hands on my son to get us to stop. I'm still looking and paying someone will help with this. Soon
  • Posted

Hi all. I had my gall bladder removed about a month ago and three days ago experienced severe pain and tightness in my chest. It was so bad I thought I may be having a heart attack and I was rushed to A&E. After many tests, x rays etc the doctor has diagnosed neuropathic pain caused by damage to the nerve endings in my chest during the operation. He has prescribed special pain relief to stop the spasams called Gabapentin and says he is pretty sure this will prevent the pain coming back. I know it has only been a few days but so far so good! It may be worth some of you with similar symptoms checking this condition out. Good luck, there is no way I could live with that amount of pain on a regular basis!
    • Posted

I am so sorry to hear of your nerve issues. I hope they lighten up and the pain eventually goes away. It's always something. Hope your recovery is soon.
  • Posted

OK freaking out a little here from reading all this..I am awaiting a surgey date to have my GB removed...is anyone feeling better  or is the pain issue still unresolved?????
  • Posted

How are you getting on? I'm exactly the same as you but I had mine removed 20years ago but the last 6months have been hell !!

Have you found anything to ease the pain?

Take care xxx

• Posted

I vomit daily, I cant eat so many foods that I enjoyed , my diet consists of mashed

Potatoes, chicken soup, mashed cauli , mushy peas and icecream , not much else , on watch for next 5 years as enlarged bile duct

That causes acid flooding that makes you

Itch all over, dark circles under eyes, feel tired, now anaemic .... Dr admitted finally maybe it wasn't my gallbladder... Too late now he removed it

• Posted

Both my gallbladder and bile duct were removed. Perhaps asking about having the duct removed will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.