Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Happyalien and all,

I just recently had my gallbaldder removed a few days ago. I'm about to have my follow up with my surgeon next week. Since I have had the surgery i still experience a little pain where the gallbaldder was at. Also i do get some back pain as well. Also below my chest bone seems to be tender. I still have abdominal pain but I'm still recovering from the surgery. 

The surgeon told me it was no 100% gurantee that i would be better. But the galbladder was inflamed when they removed it. Just curious what else i shoud ask to get checked for if i continue to have pains.

I hope all of you get better.

Thanks     

• Posted

Did you ever go to your GP?  Did anything ever come of it?  After almost 4 weeks post-op, I was in a dressing room, trying on clothes and I lifted my arms over my head and it felt like I pulled a muscle, all down the right rib cage in the front, all the way around to the back of the rib cage, as you had described.  Since then the pain had no rhyme or reason, other than it increases after meals, like I have a gallbladder again.  I'm going back to my surgeon again tomorrow.
  • Posted

I also had my bile duct removed because a stone was stuck in it too . Did they remove just your gallbladder ? Or both that and the bile duct? Because your pain sounds far too familiar to me. It could be a stone in the bile duct they missed.

It's something to consider!

I hope you find the answer to this soon,

You should not be in any pain. Bring this to the Drs attention as you explain the ribs pain. Sometimes greasy foods can be difficult to digest, so enzymes are prescribed to help break down food since that was the gallbladder's su job. Also eating yogurt every day is helpful keeping the good bacteria needed in the gut. Helps me a lot. Just a suggestion.

• Posted

Sorry to hear all you people are still suffering after removal operations.  I nearly died in my operation and was told I would've died if I hadn't had it removed when I did as it was ready to burst.  That was nearly 2 years ago.  I was discharged from hospital back into care of my GP with no further outpatient appointment or information or anything.  Last year I started to feel my gallbladder again.  My GP told me it was psychosomatic.  In January I kept getting what I thought was the stomach flu.  To cut a long and boring story short, I've just been told that I have a large post operative mass where my gallbladder was that should settle with time, even though since January I have just been getting progressively worse.  Lansoprazole generally deals with the sickness side of things.  But the pain is debilitating and even hard core pain relief isn't helping.  I'm so bloated and it feels very hollow.  Apparently they can still see brusing from the op that occured in August 2013.  I have never ever heard anything like this before!  I was told yesterday that I should be grateful that they saved my life.  I shall keep on keeping on with a smile on my face and hope in my heart.......
  • Posted

One option to research for pain under the right side ribs after gallbladder removal is narrowing of the sphincter of Oddi (google it).  This may well apply to those of you with extreme pain.  I am 2 years post removal of gb and have just started to get a pain under my right ribs.  It seems to have started with a bad bout of chest and back pain similar to the gallbladder pain which is slowly wearing off after about 10 days.  I am wondering whether a rather rich meal at friends might have triggered this? I have been on Lansoprazole for oesophageal reflux for years and doubling my meds for this didn't help.  Sphincter of Oddi pain will not be relieved by antacids or emptying your bowels.  I don't think I have this as my pain is not severe but it may be the reason for some of you.  Not sure there is a cure, from my research, but sometimes knowing what it is helps with the coping of it.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi, just an update that might help!

I like many others on here suffered years of pain, for years GP diagnosed IBS. 18 months ago my GB was removed urgently due to thickening and mass. Hospitalised four times since, stone in bile duct which then went of its own accord apparently. Pain on going!

My gastro was on hols so saw another Gastro who was told to release me but due to the fact that I have lost 1/4 of body weight apparently couldn't . She tested for Coeliac and thyroid, also ordered a CT of abdomen and pelvis.

Received a call from hospital to say that I needed to come in for an urgent flexible sigmoidoscopy! When I got home I received a short letter from original consultant to say " CT shows inflammation of your colon raising the possibility of a condition called colitis, it has not been mentioned on previous imaging. I have previously had MRCPs CT and upper endoscopy but I think they concentrated on the GB area.

Symptoms abdominal pain constantly but seems to build up til I'm sick, weight loss, diarrhoea and constipation. Tiredness and more lately my hips and legs have a dull ache in them.

Any help or ideas? Has anyone else had this please

• Posted

I too had my Gall bladder removed- about 3 yrs ago and about a year later have nausea, pain in right liver/rib region. Liver enzymes were elevated but have returned to normal. CT was negative. Can't lie on my right side, sitting straight up feels like my ribs are cutting into my liver. Pain comes and goes.  My GP said there is a nerve around the liver that could be causing this- he has seen several cases post gallbladder removal. Just started me on Nexium and said there is nothing more that can be done. Suggests Tylenol??
  • Posted

I too had my Gall bladder removed- about 3 yrs ago and about a year later have nausea, pain in right liver/rib region. Liver enzymes were elevated but have returned to normal. CT was negative. Can't lie on my right side, sitting straight up feels like my ribs are cutting into my liver. Pain comes and goes.  My GP said there is a nerve around the liver that could be causing this- he has seen several cases post gallbladder removal. Just started me on Nexium and said there is nothing more that can be done. Suggests Tylenol??
  • Posted

Hi Happy, I am having the same dilemma. I am looking into the possibility that it might be acid reflux or anxiety. Thus far, no identifiable pattern.
    • Posted

Rebecca,

i had a follow up today with my GI. He mentioned to me that it could be anxiety from being stressed out. Problem is i'm not really stressed out. I mean am worried but my job is not crazy stressful. He mentioned if it didnt get better he would give me pills to calm me down. Not sure what type of pills they are. Will keep you posted if i go back to GI.

• Posted

It sounds to me like most of you are suffering from a condition called Neuropathic Pain. It can happen when the surgeons accidently cut into the nerve endings whilst performing surgery. For me the nerve endings they cut were right in the middle of my lower chest. I knew nothing about this until a few weeks after my operation I had really severe pain come on suddenly in my chest. So bad I found it difficult to breath. My husband contacted the national emergency helpline who said they thought I was having a heart attack. I was in so much pain I believed them. We rushed to A&E when thankfully they said my heart was fine but I was clearly in a lot of pain.

After a really good check over the doctors were pretty sure that I was suffering fir neuropathic pain and prescribed Gabapentin and Omeprozole. I have taken these every day and until this morning have been fine. However my GP recently decided to lower my dose of Gabapentin and this morning and I had another bought of extreme pain. Fortunately I now know I'm not having a heart attack but just goes to show I think that the Gabapentin works. I urge all of you suffering to check out Neuropathic Pain as a diagnosis as if your pain is anywhere near as severe as mine you must be at your wits end! I am so thankful that I was diagnosed so quickly, the pain relieved and now know the score. Good old NHS at its best!

• Posted

Joanne,

Hello. I am suffering from postop pain as well. It has been a month today. I know i am still in recovery mode. But i feel pain where the Gallbladder was. Pain then radiates to the left, then to my back. It just like to travel i guess.

I actually had a follow up today with my GI. He mentioned this happens all the time. I was warned that I may still suffer after the surgery, but still went ahead with it. Sometimes i regret it since i am doing worse than i was before.

How did your doctor find your problem with the nerve? Or how did he diagnose Neuropathic Pain?

I have been sticking to a pretty good diet since surgery. but still have issues.

• Posted

I had my gall bladder taken out about 6 or 7 years ago and had the biggest scare of my life... just 2 weeks before the operation I had a scope done... then my gall bladder removed... then i went in for my 2 week check up and told the doctor i was feeling extremely sick... he blew me off and said it couldnt be related to the surgery... I ended up in the hospital for 4 days on heavy dose  of IV  fluids running non stop... NOONE even told me what was wrong until a nurse I knew well asked me how i got parentenitis... I had no clue what she was talking about because my surgeon whom had admitted me finally never told me.... I came home and rested then decided to read about parentenitis and found out if untreated it could cause sever problems such as twisting your intestines and even worse.... DEATH... I was so angry that my Dr. had blown me off when i originally told him I was sick and then after being admitted he didnt even have the decentcy to tell me what was wrong.... All in all im glad Im not dead considering I was having fevers that went up to 104 every evening to the point i would get delirious and was finally able to have someone drive me to the Dr. .. Now i suffer from IBS regularly and its painful... i dont know if it is involved with the parentenitis issue or not... but it hurts... this past week i have been have sever upper back pain starting on my right... thinking maybe a kidney stone... went to the dr.... took a urinalysis which came back clear and was told i had a popped rib... went for my follow up to a different dr and he doesnt think its a popped rib... took another urinalysis and xrays... no clue what is going on... .still waiting on word.... i wonder if it is phantom pain from my gall bladder... the pain has now moved to the right side and my spine ... lots of pressure on my upper back and sternum when i try to take a deep breath... lots of joint pain and now im starting to get a headache and neck pain... and last night my shoulder muscles were restless... ugh i just want to feel better... something has got to give
    • Posted

milisa,

You can try to use these peppermint pills called "IBGARD". Just google IBGARD and it will come up. This is uppose to really help with IBS and acid reflux. This seems to be helping me.

I am one moth post op fom Gallbladder. Still feeling pains but was told they will last a while.

Good Luck hope you get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.