Gallbladder is gone so where is this pain from?

Posted , 555 users are following.

HI

Had the dreaded gallbladder removed last June after only 7 months of pain (so I'm pretty lucky).

Everything went well, home the same day - took a good 4 weeks to feel totally better after the op but eating was ok and I don't seem to be affected by bowel issues like some people.

Only problem is I have dull ache in exactly the same place I used to get the gallbladder pain. It's not intense pain but it's in the front RUQ under my ribs and moves round the side and to my back.

It doesn't seem to appear after anything in particular and most of the time it's there constantly. Suppose it's more of an annoyance than anything else because I'm always aware of this ache. I'm quite reluctant to go to my GP because after spending about 7 months constantly in the surgery last year updating painkillers and nausea pills I don't want them to think I'm addicted to medical attention.

Just wondered if anyone had anything similar or if it's just a by-product of surgery that I'll have to get on with?

Thanks

34 likes, 1357 replies

1357 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gall bladder removed about 5 weeks ago with open surgery. Keyhole was not suitable as my gb had fused to my duodenum because of 2 year misdiagnosis at a different hospital.  At first I was ok and felt myself getting gradually better with the odd good and bad days however I now feel m going backwards. I still have to sleep heavily propped up by pillows, I can only sleep on ,y back not on any side.  My incision is a cross at the top of my abdomen and although scar appears really good I find it pulling and uncomfortable like a tight piece of string around me.  I now find I am struggling to sit or walk far as my back is in excruciating pain and where my gall bladder was I feel uncomfortable when coughing etc even my laugh has changed because it's uncomfortable . Another issue is my skin on my tummy feels raw to touch even with material.  I decided to see my go who advised me recovery in reality is at least four to six months but he did say in a few years I could re I've similar gb pain due to adhesions. The raw skin feeling is due to nerve endings re joining having been cut.

i find, thinking about it that certain foods irritate me and I lost a stone in weight. 

• Posted

Oh Elaine, I feel for you I really do.  I had my second gallbladder removal operation (long and boring story) at the beginning of February this year.  I had an open surgery and had a hernia repaired in the belly button site.  There was lots of 'goo' at the gallbladder site that had to be forcefully scraped off.  I'm now 7 weeks post op.  I seem to feel ok some days and sooo tired on others.  My Docs keep telling me it's such early days.  Especially as I've been so poorly the past year getting worse and worse with some medical professionals not taking me seriously and telling me I couldn't be experiencing or feeling the way I was.  Being proved right doesn't aid recovery unfortunately.  Please keep resting up.  And move a little each day.  It will get better.  It's so hard and tough I know.  It's horrible living it and getting through it. We will make it through the other side.  With Warm Regards.
    • Posted

Miss dolly thank you for your response and to be honest it's all the replies on here that actually make you feel better because you get to hear that what your feeling is mostly normal ... 

Im doing ok but wish I could stop the string like sensation of my scar and wish I could sleep on my side but you know what in the grand scheme of things .... We are all very lucky... We wake up every day we are on the mend and each day will get better. Some are not so fortunate so thank you so much .... I hope your mended soon and life is kind to you xx

• Posted

Elaine, I hear you completely in what you say about this site making you realise that things are normal.  We're all in this together eh.

I've been using bio-oil on my scar for the past month.  The Nurse said it was ok to use once the wound was healed.  It's helped I think.  I've lost the numbness over the last couple of weeks.  I'm 8 weeks plus post op now.  The past week I've been able to sleep on my side more.  And lower down on my pillows.  It's funny how you get used to sleeping with your head and body quite high up!  You are right, each day we are on the mend.  Happy healing to you too. 

• Posted

Hiya there hope your feeling well. I've been using Aloa Vera gel.  This was a got from someone at work and came highly recommend.  Only been using it for two days so a bit early to say right now but all seems ok so far. Been to docs this week as still a tad sore so sent for blood test to see if I might have abscess on inside of scar.  Mind you not too painful today. 

I ,use say each day is usually better but still get the odd off day. Been back at work now for five days and that helps.  Your right about sleeping upright. I do find I slip down a bit whilst sleeping and not so bad now when I do but still can't sleep level or on my side .  I'm post op now by about eight weeks .  Some times I wonder if I am getting better or simply getting used to it lol.  

• Posted

I'm feeling ok at the minute.  I think half the battle is realising that I can't do a lot so doing things slowly and surely with lots and lots of rest.  I think the better I get, the more it reinforces how ill I actually was.  Weird to explain and experience!  That's good you've got your gel sorted.  Oooh, that sounds painful about your scar.  Let us know how you get on.  It's strange isn't it when you know you don't feel right, but really, you've got nothing to compare it to.  I always thing, well that's what Doctor's are for!

That's good you are back working.  A bit of normality does wonders doesn't it and a bit of routine.  Keep on keeping on.  And keep getting better.  That made me smile what you said as I can relate to that.  This morning I realised I am getting better when I was able to lean over and my tummy didn't hurt!! 

• Posted

I had my out in May 9 2015 the first couple of weeks I was ok now I am having the same pain on my right side again it feel like my gallbladder again
    • Posted

I've seen a lot of people who have had their gallbladder removed complain of this.  I am post op by seven weeks and still a bit sore. I have visited my GP and had a very good conversation and understanding from him about this op ..... One thing that stands out is he did warn me that after the op , maybe a year down the line, I may suffer from adhesions.  I asked him what that was and he explained it to me outlining that the pain is pretty similar to gall bladder pain. Some worse than others so it may be this is what you are suffering from.
    • Posted

It's possibly adhesions which is something my doctor warned me about. Basically he said sometimes a sticky residue inside causes things to stick and this causes similar pain to gall bladder pain ..

i hope it's not too unbearable  for you and you can get it sorted ... :-)

• Posted

The problem with the pain is I have a high tolerance, so I am in a lot of pain when the attacks happen
  • Posted

hi. I'm so glad to find someone with the same problems I'm having. I just went to urgent care and had an ultra sound. found nothing. I'm having the same exact pain you described. I'm at the point where I too give up on seeking medical help due to the crazy amount of time devoted to chasing my pain source. after u.e gall bladder removal I spent an additional week after being admitted thru emergency room. pain was very bad and after every test possible I was released and sent home. I've been in an out of pain since. usually there every day but right now I'm in a five day bout of bad pain. I'm interested to hear how you're doing and keep up on your progress I wish you luck. because I TOO FEEL YOUR PAIN. sincerely. Kevin
  • Posted

When I read through these posts, a lot of them sounds as if I had written them myself!  I had my GB out several years ago and I've had reocurring pain in my upper right quadrant with several horrific "attacks" as I call them that leave me in such excruciating  pain I vomit.  The "attacks" last about 20-40 minutes and are like nothing I've ever felt before. 

I've been to the ER and they did the Morphine, EKG, CT scan, and all were within normal limits so they sent me home.  I've been to my regular doctor several times and a gastrointerologist who ordered me a colonoscopy and an endoscope.  Both were "Normal". I then had MRI which was also "Normal".  I've told all the doctor's that maybe it's a floating stone that keeps getting stuck in a duct somewhere but when the test don't show it, they dismiss the idea.  The doctor doesn't want to see me again and I think he thinks I'm crazy.

I've read a lot about ERCP.  Did you have that done?  My husband is tired of watching me go through these "attacks" and getting the "there seems to be nothing wrong" answer. 

Any additional information/suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.   I really am tired of the pain.

• Posted

ERCP stands forEndoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography which I believe is a test that allows the physician to examine your liver, bile duct, and pancreas through a tube down your thoat.  According to what I've read, this would allow the physician to remove any stones that might be floating around getting stuck in the duct and causing pain.  Although I can't seem to find a doctor who agrees with this cause of action.
    • Posted

Sorry...also, dye is injected and X-rays are taken of the ducts so they can see if stones are in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.