Gallbladder pain/exercise

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys,

I was recently diagnosed with having 3 large gallstones and will probably have my gallbladder removed in the coming months.

My question is: does anyone feel gallbladder pain when exercising? I got pain when I ran for a bus and when I played football a couple of months ago. I was just wandering whether this would be due to having large gallstones moving about in there or whether it may be something else.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Steven

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what kind of pain was it?? can you describe it?
    • Posted

I have an inflammed gb with lots of shadows inside. The pain i get is a deep bruised feeling/ tender feeling where my gb is, also sharp stabbing pains/dull aches  that some times go to my right ribs and a constant knot feeling in my right shoulder blade....................plus lots more unplesent symptoms lol.
    • Posted

yes i get that too.....its defo your gb making that pain sad horrible isnt it!!  Do you get any other symptoms??  I get a lot of nausea, but never been sick.
    • Posted

im with you there vonniexx. with the pain. take it easy.🌹
  • Edited

Hi Steven,

I had Gallstones which infected in my gallbladder and led to pancreatitis, I had incredible pain for 3 months following this, I couldn't barely stand up, sometimes I even found bending and sitting up too difficult!! In answer to your question I would say that yes I did have pain from moving using my core area!!

Hope this answers your question.

Lucy

• Posted

I'm surprises you didn't have your gallbladder removed practically straight after having pancreatis as I had that and was upped the waiting list and was put down for an emergency operation due to the pancreatis cos I was told it's quite serious
    • Posted

I got admitted to hospital as my liver and kidneys were shutting down, I also had a temperature of 39.9 and a heart rate of 120bpm so I was in a bit of a bad way, they said I nearly died!! The operation was put back because I had to be readmitted to hospital, I spent a month in altogether and they said my body had to be back to normal before they could consider operating or I might not survive the operation!! What was your experience with pancreatitis??!! I've never spoken to anybody else who's had it before!!
    • Posted

Mine was nothing compared to yours I was admitted into hospital after about 5 days of on and off pain and I'd just had enough, but after them starving me and then a low fat diet the pain went told I would be discharged and get a date for the op within 2 weeks then suddenly gained a 40.2 temp and told I had an infection which took 5 days for them to be ok for me to go homethey did several scans to make sure they didn't need to take any of pancreatis out but thankful didn't. I was in a ward where most of the people had gallbladder problems and I was in there the longest the consultant told me 1 in 10 people die from it and that it's very serious and I'm very young to get it... I thought he was scaring me into loosing weight ... best diet in the world to go into hospital where they won't let u have crappy food lost 2 stone just being in there!
    • Posted

Hahahaha, funny you should say that, I lost 2 stone too!! I was clear fluids for about a week, then free fluids (ice cream/jelly) for about 2 1/2 weeks and then back to food again!! My first biscuit was AMAZING-I chose a bourbon!! Did you get fluid on the lungs??!! I had that too and had to have a nebuliser twice a day, that was horrible too!! They don't hold back with the scans do they??!! Did you have the one where they inject die into your veins-it felt like I'd just had a shot of whisky!!

• Posted

No I actually felt fine just the sharp pain in abdomen back and shoulder I was very constipated didn't go for 5 days but then I hadn't eaten anything I kind of felt like I was the healthiest one on my ward but they were being discharged and I hated the whole fact of being pushed in my bed to the scans when the other ones were allowed wheelchairs and I nearly told them I can bloody walk there ya know the only thing what really caused the problems was that the pancreatitis caused was diabetic symptoms my sugar levels went below 5 suddenly quite often and at one point I felt so crap I asked them to do my bm level and it was 3.3 which is very low the glucose drink they made me have was awful I told them give me a bottle of coke next time. Yeah I had that felt like I was going to wee myself it was a very odd feeling... I know I made the nurses worry once as I hadn't done a wee in about 15 hours but I do that normally lol and oh yeah the other thing I had big problem is being sick or constantly feeling sick I was given a lot of anti sickness and still an hour after having the strong stuff (via iv) I still felt sick
    • Posted

It sounds like you had a really bad case of it.... mine sounds very mild compared to yours even though the doctor told me you are very poorly you know lol
    • Posted

I know the stuff you mean, I had that too, it was a nice break because I had been being sick about every 15 to 20 minutes before that for about 48 hours!! Yeah they told me off too because I didn't drink much, they kept trying to make me drink ensure, it was rank!!!!! The chocolate one was just about tolerable!!
  • Posted

When I had gallstones and my gallbladder went completely haywire (biliary hyperkinesia) , I had pain when I played hockey once a week. It would feel like the stitch at times, other times it was a constant ache, and was always accompanied by dry heaving.
  • Posted

yes. i have pain lots of times on and off as im on painkillers now. when i reached over to stroke my cat i had terrible stabbing and burning pains under right rib and tenederness to the touch. i also got a hernia from stretching, be very carefull as that area could be quiete diseased and that leave the stomach mucsles not as stongly protescted as there is a web around our stomach and all that area that keeps the muscles in place. and when our gall bladder gets diseased seemingly this web of muscles is very much weakened. so dont lift anything heavy either. take it very easy. good luck. 🌷🙏🌺
    • Posted

Hi Cheeky

I had a very sick galblader as well. My gallbladder was Infacted, inflamed and ready to burst. The Surgon had a hard time to removing it. He told me that my body created a white wall around it that he had to clean it. After the surgery I had the drainage attached in me for one week. I should tell you that I experienced the worst pain in my life whit my gallbladder. After the surgery I was feeling better but still had pain in the same spot. I thought the pain would go away after awhile. But it didn't, it get better but never went away. Still after four years I have the pain. At first it was only on my right side but suddenly shifted to my upper left side. Last year I came down with another sever pain. The pain was like a huge belt around my upper side of my abdomen. I was so scared that I ran to GI Doctor. He orderd some tests such as, MRCP, Ct scan, stool tests and many blood tests. Everything came normal. All of the pancrise enzymes were normal too thanks god. But then I came down with the sever constipation. I didn't take any medication for the pain. I don't like meds. So I tried to tolorate the pain. After awhile the pain got better. But the constipation got really worse. To the point that I could feel it's moving through my large colon. And when it was going to the same upper left side that it was in pain I could feel the and pressure there. Then I would get the pain and burning all over my stomach. Then i would have feeling of burning and itching in the left upper side of the colon exactly on that bending part of the colon. If my stool was soft I would have less pain if not I would get all those pain. Then I explained all these to the GI doc and asked me to do colonoscopy which I am afraid to do. I don't like to be sedated. Now I am scared and confused here. I don't know if it's my pancreas or the colon. I don't know if the people with the pancreas problem have the constipation problem. I don't know if they can eat everything from fatty to spicy. Beacuse I do eat them on purpose to see if I'll get any problem. But I eat them moderate. I don't know how is the pancreas pain and symptoms or if all the symptoms are the same for all. I also don't know if the Surgon damaged my colon, nerve or anything else during the surgery. beacuse sometimes I feel my colon or my stomach shaking and vibrating. Honestly I am lost.

For god sake I did the surgery to get better not worse. At least I didn't have all these problems before until after the surgery.

Now here I am with all these pain and problems my stomach is still sore after all those years.

😢

• Posted

hi cathy.sorry it took so long  to reply to you.its that time of year where everything is up in the air and now getting back to normal. im so sorry and sad to hear of your experience,as you say you had the operation and removal to get better not worse. its so upsetting, and what annoys me is that when they  do the blood tests and enzyme tests they all come back normal. so you wonder if they believe you. at least i do. as one time when i was in agony all my tests came back perfectly fine. one other time they came back that i had an infection and got anti biotics, i suppost we are all taking a chance when we get our gall bladder removed, that things could be just as bad or worse. im hoping for the best,i must say most people i hear that have had gall bladder removed have diarrahea. not constipation, iv heard that most of the removed gall bladder people have to take something to stop them from diarreaha.it sounds a lot of your pain and problems are caused by constipation, so maybe you could eat more foods that make you go to the toilet. more fibre will make you go to the toilet. all  can say cathy is i wish you all the best and hope that you get some relief.its a terrible time you are having and my  heart goes out to you. i go to the hospital tomoro. its not for the op but the pre op appointment where they weigh you and take your blood pressure and what ever it is that they do to make sure that im fit for the operation, im scared myself. as i dont like being put under and anasthetic. but i'v got to try and have faith as the pain i have suffered has been really terrible all that burning you talk about to and the tenderness to touch, and not beig able to eat.so i just say to myself surely it cant be any worse getting it out if its causing all this trouble. all the best cathy. 🙏💐
    • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed in April last year due to gallstones.

Although I am better than I was I knew I was still not right.

So went to GP a few months ago . She ordered a blood tests which back as normal.

When I saw another GP last week he said blood tests done last time were raised!! They called it normal because it was what they expected,having had my gallbladder removed!!

I now have to have another blood test on Wednesday and then go back and see the GP I saw last week with the results next week.

He said if the results are still raised that is an indication that I might have a gallstone stuck in my bile duct.!!

Honestly,why can't they be straight with you from the beginning?

Sarah

• Posted

how did the blood test go sarah. hope things are getting sorted out for you. what a carry on. all the best.❤️🙏
    • Posted

Thanks for asking cheeky.

Blood tests came back normal so no stone stuck.

Dr said I was just taking a long time to settle down after having my gallbladder out and also some of the pain would be related to the fact that I have a haitus hernia.

However what I have now is liveable with.

I think part of it is that I am just getting older to be honest.

I am 65 now so live with it basically.

It could be a lot worse.

Chin up.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.