Gallbladder pain two months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi guys, 2 months after having my gallbladder removed I still having some pain in the upper right abdomen. It is less than before the op but it is still there. It is not an attack, it is more like dull constant pain exactly were the gallbladder was. Any of you had this for some time after the surgery. Thanks a lot.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi cmurguia.

yes I have exactly the same thing going on and I'm 5 weeks post opp today at 8pm

im also worried about it sad to say but it's on my mind all the time only to be expected really though ,the worry I think.

im hoping it's just part of the healing process .

as mine was gangrenous dead and full of puss ,sorry.

i had some dense adhesions cut down too what ever that means and apparently was hours from death .

so hopefully we're just healing inside which I've read from posts on here from lynne I think it is repeatedly saying the inside takes much much longer to heal !!

i think we need to try not to worry to much unless we have a fever or are in constant extreme pain from I can make of it !

least I hope so .

merry xmas to us both.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 7 months post surgery now and I really would say that it took me 6 months to fully recover. I had pain, soreness and a lot of heartburn. My sister, who is a medical professional, kept reminding me I’d had an organ removed and that even though it was keyhole, they do the same thing inside as if they’d cut you open. I’d get down about it but I honestly now believe her! It takes time for your system to adjust and recover.  So take time to look after yourself, go to the Dr if you aren’t happy but also believe that things will get better 😁xx

• Posted

Thanks Charlotte. May I ask how was the pain you had during those past months? Was it the same (or fairly similar) to the pain you had before having your gallbladder out? 
    • Posted

Hi,

The pain was sometimes crampy sometimes sore. I do believe a lot was to do with gas but also stomach muscles. The discomfort was also exactly where the two small scars were on the right hand side. I also had a lot of discomfort with the upper middle scar, I felt full a lot and like everything was just sitting there. It does pass, you are still early days. I think we just want to rush to get back to normal. I tried to clean the cupboard out under the stairs at 2 week’s post surgery and made myself poorly, the pain was awful from bending. Take care and let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I know you posted this 9 months ago, but I'm hoping you'll get a notification of a reply. I'm in the same boat, however only just over 3 months since my keyhole surgery. I went on vacation last week and ate pretty much whatever I wanted, drank beer, wine, and coffee with no trouble at all. Then the day after we get back, WHAM. Pain, diarrhea, bloating, gas, etc. The first thought is, why the heck did it happen now and not when I was on vacation? Then I thought, oh boy, is this a stone in the bile duct? Then after totally freaking myself out, I found this for reassurance. My question for you is, how old were you when you had your surgery? I'm 42 and I guess I still think/feel like I'm in my 20s. My boyfriend is trying desperately to remind me that I'm not young like I used to be and that he's sure this is normal. Please share your thoughts if you get this message. It will be much appreciated. Glad to hear you're better and that it was just a matter of time! Thank you.

• Posted

Hi,

I’ve just picked this message up. Sorry to hear you’ve not been well. I was 39 when I had mine out a year gone May.  I think the bottom line is that we have to watch what we eat. I am absolutely fine on a day to day basis, no more heartburn, pain, bloating etc. However, if I have a few days of eating rubbish then I don’t feel well. An example has been this week, I’m a teacher so there were lots of end of term treats. I spent a day eating chocolate and cake then on the night I had a fried egg and bacon. As a result I was ill for a few days, lots of bloating, gas, gurgling stomach, heartburn and feeling like I didn’t want to eat. I hope this reassures you, the message is...we have to be goodwink 

Best wishes,

Charlotte x

• Posted

Charlotte.

hi would you mind explaining for me what you mean by being good ,if you don’t mind and have the time that is.

i mean if you wouldn’t mind ide love to know what you do eat on a daily weekly basis.

like listing what you eat for breakfast ,lunch and tea , like literally list watt you eat in a week.

as I am useless on diet and totally uneducated on that side of things.

if you could do that for me ,ide like to try your diet .

and I think it may help many others as no one seems to list what exactly they do eat anywhere on here.

i ask conservatively as I know it’s rather a big ask Charlotte.

kindest regards.

• Posted

I need to hear that and read it over and over. Just had mine out 8 days ago and getting discouraged because I feel so badly. 😦

• Posted

Hi, I had larascopic surgery on Feb 7 th of this year. It took me almost two months to fully heal. It is normal to have the cramps and pain still. I was told by the day surgery ward from the hospital I had my surgery done in. It's alot to do with the gases that they used to separate the organs to do the surgery. The pains and cramps are from the organs returning back to normal. Also it is normal to have them until your body continues to heal after the surgery. Give it time. You will feel better. I still get the gassy and bloating but my surgeon told me it's normal. You will also get the cramps if you move in certain ways. Just becareful til your fully healed.

• Posted

Hi Yes it is normal to have some pain after surgery as you've mentioned the insides take longer to heal but if this doesn't go then you will need to go back to your doctor. 

When I had mine removed in March this year they said taking the gallbladder out probably wouldn't take all the pain away as they thought I had something called sphincter of oddi dysfunction which can happen in some cases after gallbladder removal but I saw another doctor and I'm currently being treated for abdominal wall nerve entrapement which some doctors don't know about as very little is written about it. It gives a similar pain to gallbladder pain, with it being under the ribs around the side and up the back to the shoulder blades.

Give your healing time though but go back if this pain gets worse.

Take care

• Posted

hi, we are all different, but we have had surgery,prodded and probed inside, mine was now 12 months ago, im still not right,but sure im on mend,my stomach feels like its had a elephant standing on it, my gp says my upper body muscles hasnt pulled up tight,i have to do deep breathing exercises, keep you posted, all best, 
  • Posted

Yep I’m now 8 weeks in and still get pains under my ribs and also in the back in the same area I had the pain before the gallbladder came out. I spoke to my GP about it last week and also this week and she’s not concerned. Asked me if I’d seen a video of what they actually do to take it out. Thinks it’s probably just taking time to heal xx
    • Posted

Yep exactly the same as your symptoms Scottie and 5 weeks out today.

had my gp run bloods on Monday ,results back today all within range.

amalase,l f t s and some ,so ?

we wait we see hopefully lol

• Posted

Thank you all who've replied to this. You've truly eased my mind. I had my surgery on November 6th, so it's been about two months and I've had soreness on my right side. Sometimes lower by my belly button.  it's not appendicitis pain, just a dull ache that radiates from my belly button to the keyhole scar on the lower right side. Other than that, I'm feeling much better than when I had my gallbladder. Of course, I just want to feel normal again but I shouldn't rush my body to feel normal after just having an organ removed. Sometimes you need to hear that from others to realize the severity of it all. So thank you!

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder out 3 months ago and have the same symptoms, dull constant pain under my right ribs. I just came back from my surgeon's office and he said it is an intermuscular bruise from the instruments during surgery. I am to take 2 Advil, 3 times a day ( 1 hour after eating), ice 3 to 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, and Nexium 2x per day. He said it should take about 10 days to heal, however, it could take longer... I will give you an update as I progress. I hope you are feeling better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.