Gallbladder polyps

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi guys,

In short this is my health history, in April i have been diagnosed with Mononucleosis, after couple of ultra sound tests one of the doctors noted two gallbladder polyps one was 1mm other was around 4...they suggested the follow up, i had second opinion too and they said is probably cholesterol polyp nothing to worry about, he said also that 90% of gallbladder that he removes shows no malignant character. Yesterday i went for a check after 9 months to another doctor and she noted 4-5 polyps one was 6.6mm in the middle of gallbladder. She recommends removal, after reading all of these posts by you, i start not to believe that there will be no consequences for removal of GB. Did any of you had heard is there some other possibility rather than removal?

Thank you very much.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, can only say best thing I did to have gallbladder removed. No op is without ups and downs. Mine was gallstones which caused the problem Yes have had post op discomfort but with folk posting on the forum it helps everyone to understand. Not many . Ops go with out some discomfort as your body is not used to being invaded. Hope this helps.
  • Edited

So I assume you have no stones? What about any pain?I had multiple stones and polyps. If one has stones they may be in the body for years and not cause any problems and therefore go undiagnosed. Then one day a stone may get stuck in a position that causes inflamation and in my case incredible pain and one finds out he has stones. The surgeon told me that my gallbladder should be removed as in the most serious of cases death can occur if a stone lodges in the wrong place.I had mine removed only 3 weeks ago but have made a full recovery and have not experienced any problems. Believe me I have given the stomach a full workout over Christmas! I don't know what the outcome of just having polyps and no stones is, maybe you should do heaps of research and get a few more opinions first. I didin't like the idea of having an organ removed even though the surgeon said I could function perfectly well without it, my argument is why did God give us appendixes and gallbladders if we don't need them?? Research and more research then decide is my answer.
    • Edited

Hi Kevin,

Exactly, I do not have any stones in gallbladder; I have discovered polyps accidently in April on the last check up after 5 ultra sounds checking organs due to mononucleosis as regular procedure. On last Friday, I decided to do another check and it seems that size of the biggest polyp (in the middle of gallbladder) increased from 4 to 6.6mm...I have certain discomfort in right area below ribs (but I can tell it seems like pain is coming from surface) :S

Tomorrow, I have scheduled for second opinion and i agree with you that God gave us this organ for a reason and modern medicine are just focusing symptoms not the problem source. These few days, I have introduced strong regime of diet (no fatty food, lot of lemon, ginger, fish, water, fruits and vegies and I do feel much better), had Sunday soccer and felt nothing.

I have 29 years and I want to give a chance for this organ to recover, by helping body fight this sickness. God bless you all

• Posted

I also have the same argument as my surgeon is pushing me for it. I was diagnosed with 3 polyps of various sizes in 2016 through ultrasound result after a complaint of pain on my rt lower rib. I decided not to go for surgery right away and to have it observed. In 2019 I was scolded by a family doctor when he learned I didn't go for the surgery. New ultrasound resulted that the 3 polyps has not grown in size but are still significantly big to be considered for a cholecystectomy. I told my surgeon and doctor I never had pain since after the first ultrasound. Now 2021 surgeon asked me o sign all the papers to proceed with the surgery even though size has not grown in size since and there are no pain. Oh God please help me decide.

• Posted

Hi there I have had problems with my gallbladder for nearly five years and was just two n half years ago I was told I had gallstones as for the other two half years my doctor was putting me on antibiotics saying I had a kidney infection and the whole time it was gallstones so like you I had second opinion aswell and like a said was told it was gallstones so am now waiting to get my gallbladder removed as the pain I'm in with it just now is so bad I'm at hospital at least 7-9 times a month for pain relief injections as my strong painkillers don't help so I'm jus waiting to see a surgeon. 
    • Posted

Time to go..........gallbladder! You should be back to normal within a few weeks of the op.
  • Edited

Hi Vojislav,

How are you doing ?  I found this post when I am searching about gall bladder polyp. Recently ( Dec 2016) , i was diagnosed with a gall bladder polyp of 5mm . Doctor advised me to followup the ultrasound test every six months to monitor the gall bladder. If the polyp seems to reach or greater than 10 mm, Doctor told its better to remove gall bladder completely.

I am very interested to see how you are doing with your diagnosis smile

• Edited

Hiya. I was having lower back pain since May 2016 and was having to take lots of paracetamol and Ibuprofen in order to function everyday, so I had several scans. They found a gall bladder polyp that was 14mm (also have a swollen kidney, which will be sorted soon.) Anyway I had my gall bladder removed a week ago. Luckily I felt great a few hours after surgery. I haven't needed any pain killers at all. My back pain has gone. I still can't bend/stretch properly without some discomfort. I do feel lucky as lots of people I spoke to were out of action for several weeks after gall bladder surgery. Hope you get on ok. 

• Posted

Hi Balaji,

Im doing fine, did not removed gallbladder yet, Im doing follow-ups. Last time they saw 1 polyp around 7mm...idk anymore...sometimes i have discomfort right abdomen when i overeat and perform somekind of physical activity just after.

We'll see...how are you all doing?

• Posted

Hi balaji.. how ru now has d polyp reduced or u had surgery.. kindly update
    • Posted

Don't just take the doctor's words as the truth.  Gallbladder polyps larger than 2cm (20mm) in diameter may pose risk for malignancy. Malignant polyps are extremely rare and only about 5 percent of gallbladder polyps are cancerous. Unless you are having persistent pain and the polyp size excess 1.5mm then treatment can be gallbladder removal.  Gallbladder polyps of 2cm, do not need gallbladder removal surgery. Instead, monitor it yearly by ultrasound to evaluate for any suspicious changes that could indicate gallbladder cancer. Many polyps are not even true polyps at all on final histological biopsy.  90% of these polyps turn out to be cholesterol polyps. Even true gallbladder polyps with malignant potential may never progress to malignancies within a lifespan.  Ultrasound Parameters that can make polyps cancerous are: 1) 50 years or older 2) is the polyp solitary 3) is the gallbladder wall dilated in the area of the polyp 4) rapid growth of the polyp 5) uneven surface of the polyp and 6) persistent pain. However, surgeons want to treat polyps similar to colorectal polyps.  Although, they know gallbladder polyps will turn out to be stones attached to the gallbladder wall. They will insist on calling it abnormality rather than a cholesterol deposit forming a stone within the gallbladder wall. If you do not believe me ask your GI doctor. GI doctors have no financial incitive in removing your gallbladder. 

• Posted

Don't just take the doctor's words as the truth.  Gallbladder polyps larger than 2cm (20mm) in diameter may pose risk for malignancy. Malignant polyps are extremely rare and only about 5 percent of gallbladder polyps are cancerous. Unless you are having persistent pain and the polyp size excess 15mm then treatment can be gallbladder removal.  Gallbladder polyps of 2cm(20mm), do not need gallbladder removal surgery. Instead, monitor it yearly by ultrasound to evaluate for any suspicious changes that could indicate gallbladder cancer. Many polyps are not even true polyps at all on final histological biopsy.  90% of these polyps turn out to be cholesterol polyps. Even true gallbladder polyps with malignant potential may never progress to malignancies within a lifespan.  Ultrasound Parameters that can make polyps cancerous are: 1) 50 years or older 2) is the polyp solitary 3) is the gallbladder wall dilated in the area of the polyp 4) rapid growth of the polyp 5) uneven surface of the polyp and 6) persistent pain. However, surgeons want to treat polyps similar to colorectal polyps.  Although, they know gallbladder polyps will turn out to be stones attached to the gallbladder wall. They will insist on calling it abnormality rather than a cholesterol deposit forming a stone within the gallbladder wall.  If you do not believe me ask your GI doctor. GI doctors have no financial incentive in removing your gallbladder. 

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

I know this post is old but I recently found out I have a gallbladder polyp and I’m scheduled to have it removed next week.  I have been absolutely terrified.  Can I ask what yours turned out to be?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!  Thx!

• Posted

Hi Samantha15073. Aww sorry to read that you are terrified. I was a bit worried beforehand as I had read some horror stories on the internet. To be honest my operation went like a dream. They removed my gall bladder and that was it. They never said anything other than it was a polyp (which was quite big.) I had my op on a Wednesday and I went on a night out on the Friday (with my doctors consent of course) I was back at work after two and a half weeks. I work in a school with 4 year olds. I didn't lift anything heavy at work for about 3 weeks afterwards but was still very careful. Also I found stretching up was a little uncomfortable. My work colleague said she had 6 weeks off work when she had hers removed but only through discomfort rather than anything serious. Hope that helps. Hope you get on ok. Let me know how it goes or if you want to know anything else. Good look. Take care. Dont over do anything after the op even if you feel ok on the outside.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I am in tears as I write this as I am so worried it will be cancer.  I’m guessing yours was ok?  How long did it take to get results?

I’ve never been so affraid in my life.  I just really want to be here to watch my sweet kids grow up.  Gallbladder cancer is just so deadly.  I can’t eat or sleep waiting for this.  Anyway, you were so sweet to respond.  I have no one to talk to.sad

• Edited

Aww bless you Samantha. After my op, that was it. No one got in touch from the hospital. Just had to go to my gp for the stitches to be removed which was also painless. My polyp was about 14mm so it was quite big I suppose. Has anyone in the medical profession suggested that it might be cancerous? I know its easier said than done but try and be strong and positive. You don't want to make yourself ill by worrying. It might just be a pesky polyp like mine was.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Thanks again for your reply.  It really is so helpful.  No one has suggested it’s cancer.  I’ve just read up on it too much I guess.  It’s really terrified me.  I will try not to worry too much.  I need to be positive and try to think good thoughts. Mine is 8 mm so I’m really hoping it’s not.  Anyway, thanks for being so sweet. 

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

You do not have to have your Gallbladder removed if your polyp is under 2cm. Especially if you are not in any pain.  It’s a major surgery, Please see a GI doctor before you opt for surgery. Surgeon just want to make money. Gallbladder polyp cancer is very rare. Most polyps are stones attached to the gallbladder wall. Please do not have surgery. Do your research  

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your comment.  However I have already made up my mind.  I have very severe health anxiety (it has landed me in patient 4 times in the last year.)

If I don’t have the operation I will be in mental distress beyond control. 

I appreciate your concern!

• Posted

It does cause anxiety, but you should not rush into surgery, especially if you never had surgery and if you are not in any pain. Speak to a GI doctor, they will tell you it is not necessary to have your gallbladder removed for polyps that are under 2cm.  8mm is very small just have an ultrasound done every year and don’t eat fatty foods.  Your surgeon just want to make money.  If you talk to a pathologist they will also tell you that polyps are stones attached to the gallbladder wall. They are not cancerous.  general surgeons know this. The ones that are honest would never suggest surgery because it’s unnecessary unless you are having pain. 
    • Posted

Hi Sakura , I updated the post in dec 2016 . Now it's September 2018 . I did not remove my gall bladder ...,  gall bladder is very much required for digestion .  If gall bladder(GB) , one should not consume fatty foods ., since bile secretion will not be available for digestion .  Instead of removing gall bladder , just avoid fatty foods and keep your gall bladder safe .  

I only get pain when I overeat , especially fatty junk foods . Hope this helps .  During these months , I tried to update about human well being ..... ' human body is a closed system and this closed system should never be disturbed by reductionistic approach (removing parts through organs ) .  Stone or polyp is not a disease but symptom . Removing GB means symptom is removed . But what's the cause ? Chances are high , such polyp or stones can form somewhere else after removing GB. 

I am holding on my intuition that GB removal is not necessary for me .

• Posted

Hi Samantha ,  I wish you a speedy recovery smile 

I updated this post in December 2016 . Now it's September 2018 . I did not remove my gall bladder ...,  gall bladder is very much required for digestion .  If gall bladder(GB) removed  , one should not consume fatty foods ., since bile secretion will not be available for digestion .  Instead of removing gall bladder , just avoid fatty foods and keep your gall bladder safe .  

I only get pain when I overeat , especially fatty junk foods .   During these months  (last 22 months ) I tried to update about human well being ..... ' human body is a closed system and this closed system should never be disturbed by reductionistic approach (removing organs through surgery ) .  Stone or polyp is not a disease but symptom . Removing GB means symptom is removed . But what's the cause ? Chances are high , such polyp or stones can form somewhere else after removing GB. 

I am holding on my intuition that GB removal is not necessary for me . 

I wish you all the best 

• Posted

Great post! Your body needs a gallbladder for digestion without it you cant digest fatty foods well. Like cheese, milk, steak, coffee, etc. It’s awful not having a gallbladder. Just clean up your diet. Stones and polyps are the same. Created from consuming too much fat and cholesterol. Surgeons want to make make money. It’s a business for them. They will never tell you the truth because that’s  $60,000 they will lose. 
    • Edited

Hi Samantha,

Yes I have polyp similar to your size. Infact, it was diagnosed by Radiologist and consulted by an Oncologist. Oncologist told me remove as soon as in December 2016. I live in Germany and the doctors cannot force anything on patient. So doctor only suggested for removal but gave final decision to me. I till now did not remove, even after an Oncologist recommended for removal sighting that it will turn to be most horrible disease in a year.

If you wish, we can also connect with email along with other fellow friends who have polyp and encourage each other to a healthy life.

I have tremendous respect for the doctors who spend almost 1 to 1.5 decades on study (10-15 years of Medicine study) . They are great and very knowledgeable. However, a surgical procedure might a successful. But the drugs given to relieve pain and medications after that creates Adverse Drug Reaction. That's the major drawback of today's modern medicinal system. I still admire doctors and their commitment. Yet we, as an individual human being, needs to do our own due diligence before doing some modifications into our body. Gall bladder (GB) , Liver and Pancreas are utmost important.... And they should never come across surgical instruments.

I wish you all the best, for your surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Yes, I had a 9mm polyp and I made the worst decision to remove my gallbladder. Having gallbladder polyps is not a disease nor a terminal illness. I wish I would have taken my time to do research rather than rushed into surgery. Recovering from a gallbladder surgery is not easy. I lost a lot of weight because it impairs your digestion for a while and for life. I regret the decision because I had a perfectly functional gallbladder, no issues with digestion nor was I having any gallbladder pain attacks. The pathological report revealed it was a stone attached to the gallbladder wall and not a pylop. In fact, I spoke with the pathologist and he told me that 95% of gallbladder polyps are stones attach to the gallbladder wall. If it is a true gallbladder polyp the changes of being cancer is very rare and less than 5%. Should I have known this information I would have never removed my gallbladder. It's an organ that has a very important part in digestion. Surgeons have found a loophole in which they can get away in removing gallbladders when it is not necessary. I also met a GI doctor who told me that gallbladder polyps become questionable only if they are over 2cm in size. I wish you well and that you make a very informed decision and get a chance to speak to other patients who have had gallbladder polyps or had their gallbladder removed. 

• Posted

hi! thanks so much for checking on me! i did have the operation. it was really easy and ive had no problems!! there was no polyp just gallbladder sludge-ick!

• Posted

Hi I am Karthikha.I took ultrasound on sep 2021 that time i had multiple polyps with larger 6.4mm.I took ultrasound 2 days back now it shows two polyps 9mm and 4 mm.I am just affraid it could be malignant because it grew too big.Any suggestion about it.can you say whether to remove gallbladder or not

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.