Gallbladder polyps

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi guys,

In short this is my health history, in April i have been diagnosed with Mononucleosis, after couple of ultra sound tests one of the doctors noted two gallbladder polyps one was 1mm other was around 4...they suggested the follow up, i had second opinion too and they said is probably cholesterol polyp nothing to worry about, he said also that 90% of gallbladder that he removes shows no malignant character. Yesterday i went for a check after 9 months to another doctor and she noted 4-5 polyps one was 6.6mm in the middle of gallbladder. She recommends removal, after reading all of these posts by you, i start not to believe that there will be no consequences for removal of GB. Did any of you had heard is there some other possibility rather than removal?

Thank you very much.

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi vojislav64496,

How are you now ? i just says ur case as i am also suffering from polyps. Now, I am in my Vacation in my home country and here again i got diagnosed with polyps n  thats 6mm . 1 year ago also i was diagnosed but that time it was 5mm ..But i am really confused . Last yr  when i was in vacation i was diagonosed and after staying few mnth i went back to  Germany , i had followups and visited 3-4 times and did ultrasound but suprisingly none of the doctors found my polyps in Germany  instead they told me my gallbladder shape was little bit different. I got relief but again now when i am back in my homecountry i was diagnosed. How can it be possible ? Do you have any idea? i really donno whom to trust.

Did you checked 2-3 doctors? Can you plz suggest me?

• Posted

Don't just take the doctor's words as the truth.  Gallbladder polyps larger than 2cm (20mm) in diameter may pose risk for malignancy. Malignant polyps are extremely rare and only about 5 percent of gallbladder polyps are cancerous. Unless you are having persistent pain and the polyp size excess 15mm then treatment can be gallbladder removal.  Gallbladder polyps of 2cm(20mm), do not need gallbladder removal surgery. Instead, monitor it yearly by ultrasound to evaluate for any suspicious changes that could indicate gallbladder cancer. Many polyps are not even true polyps at all on final histological biopsy.  90% of these polyps turn out to be cholesterol polyps. Even true gallbladder polyps with malignant potential may never progress to malignancies within a lifespan.  Ultrasound Parameters that can make polyps cancerous are: 1) 50 years or older 2) is the polyp solitary 3) is the gallbladder wall dilated in the area of the polyp 4) rapid growth of the polyp 5) uneven surface of the polyp and 6) persistent pain. However, surgeons want to treat polyps similar to colorectal polyps.  Although, they know gallbladder polyps will turn out to be stones attached to the gallbladder wall. They will insist on calling it abnormality rather than a cholesterol deposit forming a stone within the gallbladder wall.  If you do not believe me ask your GI doctor. GI doctors have no financial incentive for removing your gallbladder. 

• Posted

I was diagnosed with 3 polyps of various sizes in 2016 through ultrasound result after a complaint of pain on my rt lower rib and occasionally on my back. Surgery was being push to me as ultrasound indicates that the polyps are all more than 6mm in size.I decided not to go for it right away and to have it observed. In 2019 I was scolded by my family doctor when he learned I didn't go for the surgery. New ultrasound resulted that the 3 polyps has not grown in size but are still significantly big to be considered for a cholecystectomy. I told my surgeon and family doctor I never had pain since after the first ultrasound. Now 2021 surgeon asked me to sign all the papers to proceed with the surgery even though size has changed since and there are no pain. I worry about the post op especially the side effects of anaesthesia. I am skeptical about having it removed. My argument is that there is a reason why God created gall bladder in our body. Oh God please help me decide.

Does anyone know if there is a possibility that polyps would shrink in size in a natural way?

• Posted

I will share my experience with you and to help others make an inform decision. Most surgeons and doctors will not always tell you the truth.

I was diagnosed with 2 polyps in 2006 the largest measuring 5mm. This was an incidental finding while I was getting a scan. I was recommended to have it checked every year. For many years there were no changes to the size. I also cleaned up my diet and avoided fatty foods as that is what causes polyps to grow. In 2018, the largest polyp was 9mm from 5mm. 4mm growth in 12 years which was not significant. They also found an extra polyp. My family doctor recommended I go see a surgeon. Although, I never had any pain or discomfort.

I met with 2 surgeons. The first one was very quick to say surgery and was annoyed at the questions I had. He finally said he really did not know much about polyps as there is not enough studies or information available on gallbladder polyps . They just know to remove the gallbladder and he would love to help me. (Of course $$$).

The 2nd surgeon also said surgery. He said “it was the right thing to do and if it was him he would do it.” (What a joke). At least he thought at 9mm it was not malignant. To do surgery because it had grown in size and I would no longer had to worry about it. p

They did not care weather I had any symptoms, pain or discomfort. Just very focused on surgery ($$$). Just because we can live without a gallbladder it doesn’t mean we should be taking it out. The excuse they use is to “prevent” malignancy. Which is very rare in gallbladders about 5% and it may never happen.

Unfortunately, I opted for surgery, a decision I will always regret for not taking my time to do my research. I was so sick from the surgery. I had underestimated the severity of the surgery, since they call it a routine surgery. I ended with major GI issues and common bile duct attacks. Its a major shock to the body losing a functional healthy organ.

I had to see a gastroenterologist to treat all the post surgery GI issues. The GI doctor told me I had an unnecessary surgery. That of course, a surgeon would suggest surgery that is what they do for a living. He also said family doctors do not know anything. He had me see a surgeon since we thought my appendix had been punctured during surgery. That surgeon said he would have never suggested surgery unless the polyps were bigger than 20mm (2cm) and if I was having pain.

The pathology report came back stating it was actual stones attached to the gallbladder wall and not polyps. I had a healthy organ removed and went through hell all to someone's greed. Gallbladder surgery is very expensive can cost up $70,000. (That’s a good incentive for any surgeon).

It took me almost 3 years to heal. Without a gallbladders, anything greasy/fatty gives me colics and immediate diarrhea.

Maria, your polyps are small and you are not having any pain. Take your time and do research.

Things I wished I would have done before removing my gallbladder

1. To see a GI doctor for opinion
      2. Gotten 3 surgeons opinions
      3. Had opted for ultrasounds every 6 months to monitor the size. Sometimes the ultrasound tech can over measure the size.
      4. Asking what percentage of patients who removed their gallbladder truly came back positive for polyps?
      5. If only 5% percent polyps are malignant and very rare, why did I need to removed my gallbladder?
      6. What parameters is the surgeon using to recommend surgery?
      7. What was the size of the largest polyp they removed and what was the pathology report?
      8. Ask to speak to patients who had their gallbladder removed due polyps.
      9. If literature says polyps greater then 2cm can become malignant, why remove it for polyps that are small?
      10. Is the surgery medical necessary?
      11. Requested a copy of the surgeon visit note.
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm 19years old and I recently know that I have a 3mm polyp after doing an ultra sound . I'm skinny and all but I'm worried it will grow

• Posted

Don't just take the doctor's words as the truth. Gallbladder polyps larger than 2cm (20mm) in diameter may pose risk for malignancy. Malignant polyps are extremely rare and only about 5 percent of gallbladder polyps are cancerous. Unless you are having persistent pain and the polyp size excess 15mm then treatment can be gallbladder removal.  Gallbladder polyps of 2cm(20mm), do not need gallbladder removal surgery. Instead, monitor it yearly by ultrasound to evaluate for any suspicious changes that could indicate gallbladder cancer. Many polyps are not even true polyps at all on final histological biopsy.  90% of these polyps turn out to be cholesterol polyps. Even true gallbladder polyps with malignant potential may never progress to malignancies within a lifespan.  Ultrasound Parameters that can make polyps cancerous are: 1) 50 years or older 2) is the polyp solitary 3) is the gallbladder wall dilated in the area of the polyp 4) rapid growth of the polyp 5) uneven surface of the polyp and 6) persistent pain. However, surgeons want to treat polyps similar to colorectal polyps.  Although, they know gallbladder polyps will turn out to be stones attached to the gallbladder wall. They will insist on calling it abnormality rather than a cholesterol deposit forming a stone within the gallbladder wall.  If you do not believe me ask your GI doctor. GI doctors have no financial incentive for removing your gallbladder. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.