Gallbladder problems in peri?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone have gallbladder pains that come and go?  And that started while in peri?  Last ultrasound didn't show anything.  I was wondering if when my hormones are out of whack it causes it to be sludgy or just hurt...and then sometimes when my homones are more balanced, it's okay.  Anybody have experience with this?

Of course I'm worrying myself to death that it is something bad since they didn't see stones this time.  About 18 months ago they saw sludge and gravel size stones?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 2chr

Yep I know what you mean with the pain..... I had my gallbladder removed March this year as had stones there, and even now and again I get the same pain on that side where gallbladder was🤔..

So it be honest god knows why my body is doing this to me other then some thing to do with menopause... 

remeber our bloody mind does play games with us, thinking all bad things  happening, menopause who needs it 😩 🤗X

• Posted

Thanks dawn.  Can you describe your symptoms before you had it removed?  My mom had her gallbladder removed a really long time ago and she said she still gets pain there when she eats certain foods 
    • Posted

To me most of the time it felt like a stitch, just below my ribs on right hand side ..... but I was admit to hospital begin of the year, as I woke at 3am with pain in the front of my chest, like heart burn, that went through in to my back, it felt like a belt around me just under my boobs, so I tryed every tablet going to take the pain away? But nothing worked , so at 8am as this was. Not better I phoned for a ambulance, because I had blood clots on my lungs, it was possable it could be happening again, and my doc always said to phone 999 up if ever got chest pain....

So when I went to hospital they checked me out for every thing, and was told I'd got gall bladder stones so they think that May of caursed the pain, so out it came..

But I do think we always think the worse at times that some thing is really wrong with us... even I still do, but I put that down to my age (53)  as when we were younger nothing seem to bother us if a pain came, but now wow what is wrong with me lol😩

I don't think for one moment if u do keep getting  some pain some where it's always best to get checked out at the docs even if it's to put your own mind at rest .

Big hugs to you 🤗X

• Posted

I had all the symptoms and was convinced that I had stone or something wrong with my galbladder. I had very odd pains and symptoms too. I was so worried. Gallstones are in.y family and my mums, aunts needed to get it removed. I then had 1 endoscopy, 2 throug examination /ultrasound looking at my gallbladder, liver, pankreas so on while I was on. Holiday in Turkey this summer. I was told all look fine. O was told by the gastroentolgist the pain.might be caused by my bowels. She gave me a medication that loosened my bowels (wasn't constipated) and it really help control then pain. I am now thinking that due to perimenopause and flactuating hormons our body causes us some odd pain which makes us worry. All the best

• Posted

Thank you imagine.  My pain is in my back too.  I'm so over going to the doctors

• Posted

Yes, I'm very familiar with the pain you're talking about.  I had my gallbladder out 8 years ago, just a few years before peri started.  I'm 46 and I've been in peri about 5-6 years.  I didn't have gallstones, just sludge, but when I did have a gallbladder attack it was very painful.  Now when my hormones are out of balance, I get phantom gallbladder pain.  Almost like I still have my gallbladder.  It's very bizarre.  The pain I felt before I had my gallbladder out was a radiating type pain that went up through my chest and shoulders and around to my back.  It felt like sharp little jabs from the inside.  Sometimes the pain would localize in my mid-back region.  Sometimes my right side, just under my ribs was very tender.  After having my gallbladder removed, I sometimes get a sharp little pain on my right side in the area where my gallbladder used to be --around the time I am about to start my period (my cycles are all over the place, but I can tell when my hormones fluctuate and something is going to happen).  The phantom gallbladder pain isn't all the time, but it will definitely happen several times a year.  My sister is in peri and she also had her gallbladder removed and she sometimes gets that phantom pain.  My aunts have commented on it as well.  I think it is very common.  Also, you mentioned they saw sludge and small stones during one of your scans.  My surgeon told me that the gallbladder can clear itself of sludge and stones (if the stones are small enough) and the next scan may not show anything.  I debated about having my gallbladder removed, but was tired of dealing with the discomfort and after the consultation with my surgeon, I felt it was in my best interest to have it removed.  I was glad I did, as I believe I had gallbladder disease for nearly 20 years before I had it removed--probably since my late teens.  I felt much better after the surgery.

I wish you all the very best.  Take care and let me know how you are getting along.  I hope the sludge/stones stay away.  Hugs!  --Sarah

• Posted

Thank you very much for the reply Sarah.  All of those details help so much.  I have my physical this morning and I will discuss my gallbladder pain with her again.  I am really just tired of feeling bad with it.  

Did you ever have any changes in your urine or stool colors?

• Posted

I’m glad you are able to consult with your doctor so that you can get help with your symptoms. I never had changes in urine, but definitely in stool throughout the years I had my gallbladder.  Sometimes I dealt with very loose stool or not fully formed and other times it was more about color change to a very light colored stool.   Sorry about too much information!  But yes, stool changes are very common with gallbladder issues.  

I wish you all the best today.   Please keep me posted on how everything goes.  Big hugs—Sarah

• Posted

Thank you again Sarah.  Yes that is pretty much how mine is.  It's light colored, mostly orange and then sometimes the colors are mixed with yellow in it.  Also stool with no form.  I've had dark urine a couple of times last week and I freaked out, but my labs have been good.  Today is for my annual well woman check up, so I may have to make another appointment to talk about the gb stuff, but I know She will make it soon.  She is good about stuff like that.  

• Posted

Thank you for the details and sharing all that with us Sarah . It is extremely helpful and eye opener! Take care
  • Posted

Dear 2chr

I had my gallbladder removed some time ago and although I had pain and discomfort it didnt show on any scan, it was just after removal (which I requested) that it was found to be infected. Pain in right shoulder is a symptom and I had pain and discomfort after fatty foods.

• Posted

Thank you pinkcat.  I haven't noticed any food in particular  that causes it to act up.  But it seems that coffee does.    Did they do a ctscan?  They are wanting to do that, but I said I don't think my anxiety can take it right now.  I will be a basket case.  So, she is drawing labs to make sure everything is still ok there.  If my labs are good and the pain settles down, I may can put it off long enough she will just do another ultrasound.  Did you ever have changes in your stool or urine?  

• Posted

Yes I had a ct scan and a mri done, I cant remember exactly as it was some time ago but I think the stools were at times a light colour (I cant remem exactly) but the main symptom was pain and discomfort on eating fatty things and pain radiating through to right shoulder.
    • Posted

Thank you again pinkcat.  I guess I will wait for the labs to come back and go from there. I'll probably have to get the Ct.  I will keep you ladies updated.  Thanks for being here for me

• Posted

Yes I have gallbladder pains that come and go and have been to A&E once with it because it was so bad and had two ultrasounds and nothing was found. Gallbladder type pain is listed as one of the 66 symptoms of menopause xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.