Gallbladder removal wait length on NHS (UK)

Posted , 27 users are following.

Over the Christmas period I had severe pain and jaundice leading to hospitalisation and the removal of a few stones that had become stuck in my bile duct. The doctors recommended that I have the whole gallbladder removed as there were large amount of stones and something about chronic inflammation. This was abroad and I have since returned home to the UK and saw my doctor last week who referred me to a hospital.

I asked about the online booking system which my doctor didn't seem to know about so I'm worried that I will be referred to slow local hospital. I have since become aware that I am allowed to pick any hospital in the country so I'm looking to pick a hospital with faster than normal turnaround for this operation.

If anyone has had any experience with a fast hospital in the UK with gallbladder removal please may you let me know. I am in a lot of pain and have lost around 15% of my body weight. Additionally I have had a job offer abroad for early March so I really want to get this done quick. I don't mind travelling far (I'm in Bristol right now). I've read online of some people who got it done within 4-6 weeks, but most it seems have to wait over 3 months.

I would appreciate very much any input, this issue is causing a lot of stress!

Thank you.

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there     Sorry to hear about your problem   - Mine was the other way round. Had my gall bladder removed and then they found stones in the bile duct so had to go back in.   It's a dilemma which hospital to choose but my advice is choose a small hospital rather than the busy city hospitals.  - I was advised to choose Louth hospital because our city hospital Lincoln being much busier they tend to cancel the ops like Gall bladder on the last minute as they have lots of emergencies to deal with.  Hope this helps and you get sorted quickly.
  • Posted

Hi,I think people's waiting time goes on how well you manage the pain,I had niggles for weeks then on December 7th at night I couldn't stand the constant pain and went to hospital and was admitted that night,next morning I got taken for a scan and next thing I knew the surgeon came to my room an hour later introduced himself and said he would remove gallbladder in an hours time!.. Atleast I had no time to think about it 😀.. I think I was treated as an emergency due to the fact my skin on right handside was sore to touch and increased pain on breathing too...there comes a time when you can't handle the pain and that's when they need to do something..I know it's annoying but unless your at your gp or emergency department regular then I can't see it being done in a hurry...good luck
    • Posted

I think the level of pain is a very good indication of what is happening inside!  They do not like you passing stones as they can get stuck and cause all sorts of issues.  I have a high tolerance to pain for one reason and another which meant that my situation was more serious than was bargained for because I was able to manage and live with the pain through years of practise.  It's one of those issues the gallbladder where everyone is different and what works for one in terms of food, doesn't necessarily work for another.  For example, I've never really had bad indigestion.  Or loose stools.  I've always been the other way, even after removal.  It's all about finding what works for you and going with it.  It's great that there are forums like this, because you can learn a lot from other folk.  And you know that you are not alone in how you are feeling and what you are going through.  Good luck to all.
    • Posted

That is lucky. I was really quite poorly the first few days and I didn't realise just how bad I was. The consultant told me they would never remove a gallbladder with inflammation because the risk to other organs and spread of infection. I did have an emergency MRI because they thought a stone was stuck and I'd need that removed. Turns out it was an inflamed bile duct so likely a stone was stuck but passed. I guess every consultant or hospital policy is different.
    • Posted

I'd lived with it for three years before I sought help and even then I'd suffered 24 hours before I called an ambulance. I coped with attacks up to 6 hours before and I was convinced it was just going to go as it had done before but when it didn't I knew it must be bad. I was so bloated I struggled to breathe and needed oxygen for 2 days. So I cope with the stitch pain quite well but I just want an end to it now.
    • Posted

I can relate to all that you say I really can. It is absolutely horrible with all the pain and all the other issues to contend with. I hope you get sorted and that things go well for you. My surgery wasn't a great experience and I ended up in hospital for a couple of extra days but the relief of having the gallbladder gone was instant. That felt good. After a few months I felt very well. Those were good feelings. Take good care
  • Posted

I'm curious - how did they remove the stones?  And it seems funny to me that they would do that and not take the gall bladder.  Where were you for them to do this?'I'm afraid I'm one of "those" people that do not want my gall bladder out. However, I say this and right now I'm fine, but when an episode occurrs, I think differently.  I would, however, like to just have the stones taken out.  Can they do this?
    • Posted

I am pretty sure that the stones in the gall bladder can only be removed by removing the gall bladder. As far as I know you cannot have the stones removed from the gall bladder without having gall bladder removed completely.  Sometimes while removing the gall bladder some stones can be spilled (as in my case) and they will then pass into the bile duct  and get stuck and cause even more problems (in my personal experience) and then it is a separate operation (endoscopy) to removed these stones. I guess sometimes it can be done the other way round and stones can be removed from the bile duct before the gall bladder is removed. Hope this makes sense :-)
    • Posted

They say that if you have gallstones this indicates that there is a problem with your gallbladder so will remove the gallbladder.  Removing the stones alone is too difficult I've been led to believe.  I've seen stuff about them zapped with a laser but then sludge is left behind.  If the gallbladder is infected it needs to be removed as it will just keep happening and it can burst. 
  • Posted

Reading this forum, I don't think doctors deliberately mislead patients: its more a case of one person tells you one thing then another says something else. There is a definite lack of communication not just between medics and patients but also medic to medic.

I am a previously fit and active 67year old female with no family history of gallstones. I was a vegetarian for fifteen years and have eaten low fat for years, however I admit to a craving for ice cream, probably my downfall.

Had my first bad gallbladder attack in July 2015 (4 days before I went to A&E) and was misdiagnosed as having kidney stones- told "definitely NOT gallstones". After several minor attacks I got another bad attack in September which lasted three days and was almost hospitalised. A week later I had to be admitted as an emergency following an attack so bad I fainted with pain. I was badly jaundiced. I had ultrasound and MRI scans confirming I had a lot of stones. I had ERCP to remove stones and insert stent and was told I'd have cholecystectomy in a couple of days. However I was discharged without surgery next day after a week in Hospital. No explanation was given. I attended for a further ERCP early in December- very invasive- to have stent replaced. Asked what would happen next, but nobody gave me an answer. Week before Christmas I had a further attack and GP sent me to triage at local hospital. I had infection so was given antibiotics and told I wasn't even on waiting list! I had assumed that surgery would be within 18 weeks of original referral which was in September so was expecting appointment for end of January time. I still have not heard. I don't think medics realise what it's like for patients. Nobody explains how system works. They don't understand the effect of waiting on a patients mental wellbeing let alone physical health and what effect it has on lives: you cannot make plans. I feel unwell, run down and despite sticking rigidly to low fat diet (I actually lost weight over Christmas) I am getting pain and discomfort. The bottom line is my gallbladder needs to come out before I can even start recovery. All these delays and procedures and periods of being an inpatient are just adding to the cost. My gallbladder problems are not going to resolve unless I have surgery and the sooner that happens the better it is for me and the cost to the NHS. The NHS was in its infancy when I was born. I was brought up to believe if I was ever ill, treatment would be prompt and free, so I feel very let down.

I hope you have had surgery and are fully recovered by now.

• Posted

Hiya, 

you have my sympathy. I am is the same boat as you but I am hoping the consultant will have me in hospital and have this blasted GB out within a few weeks.

I was also hospitalised, in fact, I am just out. I was very jaundiced. I was given an endoscopy and they removed a small stone that was blocking a bile duct and put in a stent in the other duct as a huge stone was leaning against it and causing a blockage. They can't get to the stone so it might cause issues. 

As I write, the old, familiar pains are niggling away and I am terrified I might get an infection so I am being very cautios with what I eat.

Like you, I have also lost a lot of weight. These GB's are a terrible burden and mar one's quality of life.

I do hope mine is removed very soon 

• Posted

I'v been having pain in my gallbladder for three and a half years but thought it was a stomach ulcer before it's diagnosis by ultrasound in November 2016. The consultant told me it was a large stone and I would be put on the list which was running at around 7 months. Come May 2017 after months of restricted diet, disruption to sleep, difficulty managing to get through the day for tiredness , I called the hospital. They said the list had grown....July was likely. I was devastated. My attacks grew in frequency and intensity. I can remember the night they became more sinister and started before bedtime rather than waking me up about 2am. They would cause me agonising pain in the rib that I couldn't manage in any position, and all the pain killers I've tried don't touch it. The first night I was sick from the pain I really thought my gallbladder had ruptured. I was sweating then freezing, felt like my whole torso was on fire, felt sick, was sick, generally feeling like death. I'd been feeling like this over 6 hours and after the sickness went to a&e. By the time I'd waited hours the pain was subsiding. They did blood tests. No infection. Just said go home carry on waiting. Called the hospital next day they gave me the news the waiting list is up to around 12 months long and growing all the time. They said they get calls from people like me every day and none of us can have priority. They said don't expect anything before September.

I'm lying here now in bed at 6.30am after 13 hours awake in pain because I had an egg sandwich at 2.30pm yesterday. The pain began early evening and is still going strong. I usually exist on boiled veg and don't eat after 2pm - which is difficult when you work full time. I've lost 19lbs since Christmas (good job I had it to lose) and I'm thoroughly distraught seeing no end in sight. I've looked into private surgery £6k. Don't have the cash. I feel the NHS have really failed me on this occasion, though I am a big supporter of the NHS after the superb care they gave my daughter when she was diagnosed with a brain tumour last year.

I live in Devon so if you're planning to get gall stones....for goodness sake don't do it here!

• Posted

Seems to me the NHS has no clue when it cones to gallbladder problems. I live in the South East and i've been told by my gp that it's not my gallbladder because my ultrasound and all my blood tests have been normal. I've had a consultation with a gastro and he told me i wouldn't get a HIDA scan and is sending me for a ct scan and according to him if thats normal i'm being left in my gp's care. I've felt unwell since Oct 16 and been in pain and felt very unwell since January and got nowhere. I'm also a big supporter of the NHS but maybe it could be better if the goverment didn't give all our money away on doing deals worth 1.3 billion to the DUP etc. Sorry for the rant!

• Posted

Just to update - I eventually had open surgery in February. A week after discharge I spiked a temperature of 38.5C. I was readmitted and next day told that the histology labs had found a growth in my gallbladder. Three weeks later I had a liver resection to remove part of my liver and other tissue that was near where my gallbladder had been.

Leaving patients with gallbladder issues in pain for so long can result in serious consequences as I have found. The gallbladder can rupture leading to peritonitis. You can develop jaundice as I did and be in danger of septic shock. Stones can move and block bowels, liver and pancreas. It's just not fair and it's risky to leave patients suffering. I don't care how stretched the NHS is, we should not have to grovel to get much needed treatment.

This state of affairs is widespread throughout the NHS. My daughter has just been refused an emergency US scan. She had a myemectomy four years ago and now thinks she may be ten weeks pregnant. She was told she'd have to have another Caesarean section should she ever get pregnant again and was close to having a hysterectomy at the time. She is at risk of an ectopic pregnancy but the hospital has refused the GPS request for an urgent scan. She also suffers from PCOS.

It's not actually a free service. We have all paid into the national insurance scheme which funds the NHS. In my case my parents and grandparents also paid.

I will need to be monitored for five years in case the cancer returns, however I'm doing well and feeling better than I've done in years. I'm not ungrateful for the treatment I've had but I'm shocked at how bad things are getting.

• Posted

I've lived in my current town for 35 years. When i first moved here the population was 70000 it's now 180000. 35 years ago we had the main large hospital and two smaller ones. Now we only have the main hospital that is now smaller than 35 years ago. We have no cancer service, so people have to travel 25 miles west day in day out for cemo/radio therapy sick and ill from treatment! We have also lost our maternity services and people have to travel 25 miles east! This made myself and partner decide nit to have anymore children as with our 1st and only child my partner only just made it in time and it could take an hour at busy times to get to the hospital 25 miles east!

• Posted

I live in Leicestershire where we have three hospitals formed into one trust but nearby Grantham, Boston and Lincoln hospitals are having problems. Here, the children's heart unit that does so much good work is under threat of closing. It means patients living here or in Lincolnshire will have to travel to Birmingham for treatment. When I was waiting for a scan, a patient had been brought from Northampton for treatment. It just ridiculous.

• Posted

It's certainly a sad state of affairs! We also have no paediatric services now.

• Posted

Hi

I'm in Leicestershire too. Can you tell me what hospital

you had your operation at ?

I'm still waiting for the op and don't know which hospital would be best.

• Posted

There's no choice Linda: despite the fact we have three big hospitals, all HB surgery is performed at Leicester General Hospital. Compared to the other two hospitals, it is Dickensian. The facilities are poor and don't really meet modern day standards. This hospital is under threat of closure so no money is being spent. It has been widely reported on local radio and press. Some of the staff are understandably demoralised. They've not had a pay rise for years either. That said most of the nurses and doctors I came across did a good job. Some showed real compassion and dedication. Just don't expect it to be comfortable with regard to bathrooms etc and there are no TVs or anything like that so take in something to keep yourself from dying of boredom. I had Mr Garcia as my surgeon, eventually, but also was treated by Mr Lloyd and Mr Metcalfe and all three were good.

• Posted

No pay rises fo hard working nurses. MP's got a pay rise this year that takes the biscuit! You will like this one, in 2013 Liam Fox mp put in ten expenses of under £1 for little tiny car journeys and one was for 3p for a 96.7 meter journey.

• Posted

Nobody in public service is getting pay rises, except for MPs it seems. Why should nurses and other public servants pay for the banker's mistakes? Nurses have to eat. They have the same living expenses as everyone else. No wonder they are leaving the profession in droves.

Don't know what ordinary folk can do about it though. 😟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.