Gallbladder removal wait length on NHS (UK)

Posted , 27 users are following.

Over the Christmas period I had severe pain and jaundice leading to hospitalisation and the removal of a few stones that had become stuck in my bile duct. The doctors recommended that I have the whole gallbladder removed as there were large amount of stones and something about chronic inflammation. This was abroad and I have since returned home to the UK and saw my doctor last week who referred me to a hospital.

I asked about the online booking system which my doctor didn't seem to know about so I'm worried that I will be referred to slow local hospital. I have since become aware that I am allowed to pick any hospital in the country so I'm looking to pick a hospital with faster than normal turnaround for this operation.

If anyone has had any experience with a fast hospital in the UK with gallbladder removal please may you let me know. I am in a lot of pain and have lost around 15% of my body weight. Additionally I have had a job offer abroad for early March so I really want to get this done quick. I don't mind travelling far (I'm in Bristol right now). I've read online of some people who got it done within 4-6 weeks, but most it seems have to wait over 3 months.

I would appreciate very much any input, this issue is causing a lot of stress!

Thank you.

3 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

It really is a sad state of affairs and I can relate to every one of your comments. I have just recently been discharged from hospital after a four day attack, this was from living on a low fat diet etc.. I had no inflammation or inefection but my gallbladder is full of stones.. I said to my doctor what is the criteria for an emergency removal and she described my symptoms down to a tee I thought great that will be me going in for the op then!! Nope, they pumped me full of pain killers for four days which did not touch the pain at all.. then on my third night I had another attack the junior doc came to me did a routine check and profusely apologised for the way I was feeling.. the next day my doc came on her rounds and said so, seems that the oral pain relief isn’t working we will start you on iv of morphine, I had completely enough at this point.. I was at the stage where I felt that I would become hooked on really strong pain killers! Who can seriously live like that? I’m a single parent how can I look after my son hooked on morphine and tramadol to get through the day, so I told them to discharge me, I would rather die in pain at home than in the hospital.. I was meant to be starting my nursing degree in September but I have lost faith.. I don’t know if I want to support the nhs anymore.. sorry for the rant but I’m so fed up, I don’t know what to do anymore about it xx
  • Edited

Hi 

So I have been suffering with gallstones for around 9 months now. I have had gallbladder attacks and usually manage to ride out the pain, that was until wednesday night just gone. 

I had the most severe attack yet, the pain was unbearable and for the first time in my life I felt like I was going to die. I found myself telling my mum that I thought I was going to die as she drove me to A&E.

In the reception of A&E I was waiting no longer than 10 minutes before being called to triage from there I was straight into majors having morphine administered through IV. 

The attack lasted 6 hours and I was in pain following discharge the next day. The pain is only a dull ache which is still going on now, I am unsure how long this lasts so any replies with an answer would be great. 

I also have to say that the morphine was absolutely amazing help as I really don't think I could have taken anymore.

I did as well have an ultrasound which confirmed that I am full of stones, however there is no infection or any other causes for concern. I am now on a waiting list to have my gallbladder out (NHS) of course. 

The sad part is I have been told I could be waiting up to a year for it.

• Edited

From my original GB attack I waited 2 or 3 years for my GP to actually put me on the surgery list. Then the hospital; delayed and delayed. Eventually I had a serious attack and ended up in A and E. Still no date for surgery. Luckily I had medical insurance through work so I went private. Within a week I had the surgery and was home the following day. Never looked back from this.

I think it is classed as non critical surgery so it gets bumped by more life critical surgeries that need the facilities. Having been through both sides I can understand this but that is little comfort when you are screaming in pain as another stone goes walkabout!

L

• Edited

Welcome to the NHS, I waited 1 year with 7 trips to AnE and only officially been put on the waiting list over 18 weeks ago after having jaundices and very high CRP, Hive..... , at AnE last week, i fainted due to loss of water after severe vomiting and diarrhoea i was taking in for surgery and the surgeon decided not to operate still and told me to wait as i am still on the waiting list and to take pain killer instead ,did not even give me a discharge or medication. I just raised a complaint follow up.

• Posted

im having problems at the moment ultrasound booked for this week it seems that any food including foods with zero fat within 2 hours of eating im getting the tail tail signs cramps increasing in intensisty to the point of crawling on the floor in agony i have had 1 trip to A&E but by the time i got there the pain was subsiding. The attacks normally last 5-6 hours with a dull ache for several hours afterwards. My question to all you fellow gallbladder sufferers is i cant seem to eat anything that doesnt upset it so im on protein shakes. is there anyone that can advise on what foods are easier and doesnt cause an attack.

thanks you

Mandy

• Posted

I have found nothing in particular sets the pain off, but when it starts lasts at its worst 13 hrs

• Posted

been waiting a year and rang waiting list been told be another 2 months, starting to feel dismayed and depressed after hearing people are presenting at A E to get op quicker which puts others further down the list.

I don't want to go in when it becomes an emergency as then things can go wrong, my gaul bladder not been checked all this time and pain now radiates all over abdomen and to the left side which is worrying me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.