Gallbladder removed, my body is not functioning as normal

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, it has been 4 weeks since my gallbladder surgery,. I am light headed, unable to feel when I am hungry, cannot have a normal bowel movement without taking a laxative, gas pains that knock me to my knees, despite drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water I feel constant thirst and I eat a healthy diet. Lastly, I have painful episodes that feel like gallstone attacks.  My lab work is great, CAT and X-rays, nothing. I am taking pills for acid reflux.

is anyone experiencing or has experienced the symptoms I am going thru?

Thank you, for reading

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

forgot to mention constant nausea
  • Edited

Hi Rebecca am sorry to hear your suffering. Constipation and or diarrhea are common side effects after gallbladder removal. This is usually temporary and should settle down within 12 weeks for most people. Nausea is also common and should slowly dissipate too. Your digestive system has been altered and in some people there is an adjustment period. Some people also experience the gallbladder type pains after the surgery and this should settle too. Psyllium husk fibre might help your constipation and acid reflux. Also milk thistle helps detox the liver which in turn has a positive effect on the digestive system and may help the constipation, acid reflux and pain. I had mine removed 8 months ago and have experienced a lot of side effects diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and pain but have spoken to do many who had similar experiences and it did settle down in most people. I still don't have the same hunger I would have had before the operation even at this stage. Hope you feel better soon. Take care xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your quick response. I found it very comforting to know that I am not the only person who has experienced the same discomfort.

you have given me hope that I was unable to find elsewhere including medical professionals. 

Best Regards,

Rebecca

• Edited

Rebecca don't worry your not alone. I was in hospital in February and March and no one would admit it was a side effect of the operation until I freaked out one day and demanded answers as I had none of these symptoms before the operation except for the gallstone pain. I saw the top gi doc here in Ireland and he said it was from the operation. Thankfully my gp has seen all these symptoms before in other patients and she told me straight away that it would take time to settle down. Try not to get stressed as its the worst thing you can do. Also fresh ginger root in teapot of hot water is good for the nausea. None of the meds helped me. Try to be as positive as you. It was only after my operation that I found out that a lot of people have temporary side effects afterwards something we are not told about before the operation. But it could take time so be aware of that. It won't go overnight but will gradually get better. I hope you feel better soon. X
    • Posted

Yes I agree with this description.

Gallbladder removal is major surgery and everyone is different.

sometimes it takes longer to adjust. Hopefully these issues clear up soon. If not perhaps another docs opinion might help.

i hope to hear your better soon.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I've felt light headed since and found iron helps either supplement or high iron food/drink. I think for me it could be the blood loss during surgery

• Posted

I still have stomach cramps sometimes if I eat anything too fatty so still having to be careful.

Also taking laxido as a laxative.

A GP said it would settle down, it just takes time.

I have no nausea or gas pains.

What are you taking for acid reflux.?

My GP prescribed me Omeprazole.

I tried coming off them when I had my gallbladder removed but have had to come back on them for a bit.

I think part of the problem is you are told recovery period is 3 weeks and people are very different. They are not honest enough with you about recovery period.

Hope some of this helps.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

I had mine out in June and really didn't have many complications.

I still need to take a laxative occasionally to help things move along. Except if I eat greasy or fatty food.

No two people are alike and each persons recovery is different. Some bounce right back, others, it takes a while.

I am on Protonix for acid reflux. I noticed I get it pretty bad sometimes since having my gallbladder out.

• Posted

Thank you, to all of you for taking the time to read my posting and for responding so  fast.  I appreciate all of your recommendations.  I cannot begin to express how comforting it is to know I am not the only one. 

Hugs ,

Rebecca

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I had my Gallbladder removed in 1997 and to this day I still suffer what your going through, the pains i get are so severe it puts me in tears, I have gone to different doctors and there is nothing they can do for me, I think I am one of the unlucky ones that still suffers the symptoms since 18 years ago, I also get nausea after everytime I eat. I hope your feeling alot better these days and the pains have gone away, I still get the pains where my Gallbladder was removed and its agonising. Keep eating healthy Rebecca and take care of yourself.

Regards

Eve

• Posted

Eve, I am so sorry that you have to endure with those symptoms day in and day out. It seems so unfair. I wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca

i am 2 weeks post op tomorrow - i had a problem with my stitches but the nurse removed the end of it yesterday which is far more comfortable no and hopefully the infection will settle.  i had a really bad experience two days after the op when i had the same pain as  before, luckily a friend had warned me that codine might not suit after the op (she had a friend who was the same  fine with it before but not after and gave similar pains to a gallbladder attack) - as some of the others here i am too still taking lansoprazole but hoping to wean off that when things settle - i was hoping to go back to work this thurs but no way am i fit enough and the nurse keeps telling me im doing too much (im doing nothing apart from pottering around the house) so yes i agree with an earlier comment they aren't truthful with how long it will take to recover - hang in there, i have found these pages invaluable too .... :-)  

• Posted

Weird change of events for me today. I woke up and felt pretty good. I took a quick shower and then became to weak to stand. 

Called my surgeon and he said "that is my body's way of telling me to rest."

i have been resting for a month....before surgery, I worked out 90 minutes to two hours 5 x a week. If I can get out of bed and walk around the block once a day, that is a big deal for me. 

• Posted

Rebecca,

I am also 1 month post op. I still have pains where my gallbladder was at. Pains will move to my left side and radiate to my back. My bowel movements are much better. They took about two weeks to get back to normal. I was told that i had a pretty serious surgery and that recovery could take 6 months.

I hope you get better.

Foods to eat should be light. Soupd, breads, rice. No greacy foods. Only grilled food. Foods that are lean meat (Chicken, Turkey). I know it can be horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.