Gallbladder Symptoms

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hello everyone -- A couple of weeks ago, after experiencing right flank discomfort for a week or so, I went to my primary care physician who suspected kidney stones and referred me to a urologist.  The urologist didn't seem overly concerned and doubted he would see anything on my CT, which is scheduled for next week. THe blood test and urinalysis my physician ran were all normal, together with blood pressure, etc.

Since I first went to the doctor, my symptoms have changed, whereas now:

-- My pain, a dull ache, really,  is primarily under my right rib cage, just below the final rib

-- ocassional burning sensation in the same area and more toward the center/left of my ribs

-- ocassional, more stabbing-like pain in various areas of my back, both right and left side, as far up as between the shoulder blades

-- some fatigue -- consistently falling asleep in front of the TV in the early evening.  Pretty new behavior for me

-- Occassional mild nausea (no vomiting)

-- an occasional very loud intestinal gurgling

Do these sound like gallbladder symptoms?  I;m wondering because I don't have any of the urinary issues that seem so common and no diarrhea/constipation, etc., No jaundice, etc., though I think I'm more burp-y and gassy lately.  What do you think?

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I have multiple gallstones and a thickend gallbladder confirmed by an ultrasound and MRI scan. I'm waiting for an operation.

Gurgling, yes, absolutely! After three years plus of suffering symptoms, excessive gurgling seemed to be a precursor for an attack. As well as fatigue, a feeling of fullness, tigthning of my stomach and then burning acid and nausea. The pain from an attack is like a really bad stitch on the right side under the ribs. Also it felt like my body wasn't working from the middle down. It's hard to explain. I didn't go to the toilet much and my hands and feet would swell. It felt as if my food got stuck and wasn't moving. I could eat breakfast but it wouldn't feel digested by lunch time and then I would get an attack brought on suddenly by dinner or after. The stitch like pain would sit there grumbling away before a full blown attack. But the gurgling, yes, the gurgling.

I haven't had an attack since a big one last October. But I have felt grumbling and gurgling away for the past two days. I don't know if you have been advised but a very low fat diet can really help with the symptoms. I've been told to stick to less than 3% fat diet until I'm operated on which is really tough but it has prevented me having a big attack, so far, touch wood. When I get the stitch pain I have Buscopan for it which seems to help and I'm on lanzopizol every day for the acid.

So yes, your symptoms as you describe, sound similar to gallbladder symptoms. Hope that helps.

• Posted

So interersting -- it's a symptom you don't hear too much about.  Thanks for sharing, Lisa!
  • Posted

Just wondering -- I haven't been definitively diagnosed yet, but doesn anyone think their gallstones are a result of taking statins?  I've been on a statin for 2 years.
    • Posted

I have no idea about that. I haven't taken anything. I think mine were caused by yo-yo dieting.
    • Posted

It's interesting you say that Lisa as although gallstones is suspected with me I have been told I don't fit the typical profile as I only weigh 9 stone but I was asked about my diet and I have been a yo yo dieter since I was 18 and I'm now 37
    • Posted

I've read that yo yo diet causes changes in the cholesterol in the bile. If you put in yo yo diet gallstones and search it you can read up about it. I've been yo-yo'ing since my teens plus it's in my family, although not for some time. I certainly do fit the profile now. Female, fair, fertile, fat and over 40. Although thanks to the gallstone, low fat diet, I've lost 2 and a half stone. So it's not all bad, although extremely restrictive for four and a half months and counting :-(
    • Posted

Hi, Lisa, That's what my MD told me my stones were caused by, yo-yo dieting.  I ended up with a fatty liver, too, which is a whole other story, but it can also cause a feeling of fullness and a dull ache on your right side, below the lung.  Good for you for taking good care of yourself and good luck with your surgery!       
    • Posted

Thanks Lynda although I'm begining to wonder if I'll ever get it done. The wait is so long. I've been getting active as well. Hopefully it will help the recovery
    • Posted

You're welcome, Lisa!  Just remember it's major surgery.  They're removing an organ, even if they are doing it from tiny incisions.  Be gentle with yourself, and spend as long as you need to in order to recover!  It will be a relief to have it done, I know!  confused
  • Edited

I have had some "normal " gallbladder symptoms ans some not so common symptoms. I have been having gallbladder issues going on 10 months now. I finally have an appt with a surgeon March 7th. I just wanted to list some of my symptoms on here so that some of you can know and realize all the things a bad gallbladder or gallstones can cause. I personally feel better when I hear from someone experiencing the same things I am. You would be surprised all the things that your body can experience because of your gallbladder. I have had the following symptoms over the last 10 months. Some are occasionally and some are constant. Some have only occurred a couple times, but here they are:

headeache ( that goes away quickly or sometimes stays a while) 

nausea ( on and off. Sometimes very bad)

heartburn ( aka chest pains too) 

constant burping

rolling gas and stomach noises

URQ pain but also mirrored on left side 

shoulder pain and between shoulders

lower back pain

pain in hips and legs ( aching but this not very often)

muscle pain and weakness

feeling tired ( often)

lower stomach cramps ( feels like bladder infection but not) 

ache under my right ribs ( constant) 

feeling like getting the flu ( occasional) 

constipation ( only occasional) 

loose bowels ( depends on what I eat ) 

light or sometimes orange colored poop

dark urine ( a couple times) 

sleeplessness late at night 

I have experienced all of this at one point or another. I am getting mine out very soon, but wanted to share to ease anyone else mind if I could. The anxiety level gets crazy sometimes and you will think it is so many things. Best advice is to get it out. I am tired of being sick. 

• Posted

Yep, that's a pretty good list. I suffered terrible with left shoulder pain, like a trapped nerve and feeling like a had a hair on my face and a twitchy eye.
    • Edited

Hi Tonya, yes can certainly relate to this and it is reassuring to know we are not completely crazy as people without the experience of gallstones (incl some friends and family!) and Drs too don't seem to comprehend all the extent of symptoms that are not textbook. We are all different and affected in various ways but gb illness can be quite devasting to the general health, due to knock on effects on otgher organs I guess. I just feel wiped out after months of this and now on the waiting list, wanting it over with but also very fearful as my last op over 10 yrs ago was not all smooth going. Thanks for sharing and best of luck for a good speedy recovery
    • Posted

Hi, Cynthia, Tonya's list was really good, wasn't it?  I completely understand.  Some Dr.'s want it all strictly "by the book" and since they generally hardly listen anyway it can be a real struggle.  As to family members, they can have that "get up and get on with it, anyway" outlook.  You don't look as if you're dying, so you're probably malingering.   I think that's why we're chatting here! confused  Just try to be gentle with yourself after surgery.  You know your body the best, no one else does!   
    • Posted

Yes, thank goodness for these networks Lynda, as illness can be a scary place. Family and friends are kind and supportive of course, but they have their lives to get on with and are not all that interested in discussing gb issues! LOL x
    • Posted

You are right there. I've been waiting over 19 weeks now and no sign of a date. I'm told May or June is likely now but the hospital hasn't improved and with further strikes likely, it's not going to improve. (England) I do have a complaint open though because it's a breach of my legal right to treatment time. I'm not holding my breath! I think my family have enough of listening to me so I come here to moan instead. Everyone here knows what it's like living each day in limbo and it helps to know we arent alone.

Still, on the positive it has given me a much needed boost to lose weight and get healthier. I gave up smoking 4 years ago and the weight piled on. So it's good to lose some weight and get active. I think I got stuck in a rut and needed a wake up call. So it's not all bad :-)

• Posted

Lisa, yes, I think that every negative does come with a positive, and all that happens to us helps us learn--though sometimes I think I want to shout out, "What is it exactly that I'm supposed to be learning here?"  wink
    • Posted

Yeah! It took me a while. Lol once I resigned myself to the fact it was going to be such a long wait and the weight started dropping off, it gave me a new focus. I'm still hopping mad at waiting SO long but there is little point in sitting arround thinking about all the time. Although it is hard not too. I miss so many foods and that's the worst bit. To not be able to eat out or grab the odd takeaway is murder some days. That's when I get self pitying. When I feel well enough to eat and I go out and smell food, I crave it.

• Posted

Me, too!  Then, I'd throw all caution to the winds and end up spending the next day or two (or three) in the bathroom!  But, because you're loosing weight and getting healthy, I bet you'll recover much sooner!  That's definitely a plus.  
    • Posted

Hi tonya.  I know it has been a while since this post, but I am hoping someone will respond anyways.  I have been having the pain under the right ribs.  Right now it is wrapping around the bottom of the ribs to the back, but not shoulder blade.  I have pain at the tip of my left shoulder and pain under left rib also.  So glad someone else experienced the same odd symptoms.  Also, nausea, headache, burping and the last couple of days orange stool (what causes that anyways?). Sometimes I feel warm like I am running a fever.  Did you ever have that?  All lab work was good.  Still waiting on ultrasound results.  I am thankful to have read your post. How did your surgery go?  And did it get rid of all of the symptoms?  I am also very very tired of feeling sick!!
    • Posted

I had pain all the way round from bottom of right ribs to the same spot in my back too! Then nausea which became constant for 7 weeks before finally getting the gallbladder out. Prior to that it was just when I was getting attacks. I tried all the different anti sickness drugs possible too.

I was getting fevers every few days, once actually lasted 10 days! Was sent to hospital twice and was in for a week both times. Wasn’t straightforward diagnosis as one ultrasound showed small stones then they couldn’t see them on the ultrasound after I was admitted the first time.

The consultant sent me for a HIDA scan which showed the gallbladder wasn’t functioning as well as it should be. I saw another surgeon a couple of weeks later who agreed to remove it. Was admitted again 2 days after that with a high fever, RUQ pain and very high heart rate. Had IV antibiotics and got the gallbladder removed 6 days later as was still in hospital.

As soon as I woke up from the surgery the nausea was gone 👌🏽. Now almost 7 weeks after surgery I feel so much better. Still getting some pain under my ribs and have had post-op wound infections but a small price to pay for getting my life back xx

• Posted

Hi Scottie.  Thanks for the reply.  Today was the first day I haven't been nauseated in a while.  I am still having the ruq pain though.  And I belch a lot.  Got the report today that the ultrasound was normal.  oh well.  I will talk to doc about a hida scan.  Thanks Again.  It is reassuring

• Posted

Spot on! All. Of the above except mine with additional  debilitating,, 11-year history of Severe Chronic Neuropathic Pain Syndrome in the right shoulder having been hit by a viscious air bag after a car accident. I had assumed it was worsening neuropathic shoulder pain over last two years or so. This finally came to a head this year with severe tight burning chest pain just below ribs  - spreading right across  mid abdomen that my GP surgery thought a heart attack so on 3 occasions called an ambulance and sent me off to hospital but all tests came back normal. A locum doctor finally listened to my  suspicion this was gall bladder related in view of the pain becomg acute and sent me for an ultrasound which found 3 gall stones.  On last trek to A&E with flare up I told them about the stones and they did a CT scan which also showed a ruptured duodenal diverticulum which had repaired itself and questioned any trauma. So it is possible some damage had been left undiagnosed at the time of the accident but now come to a head. On the waiting list to have it out but still waiting results of a HIDA scan to check gall bladder function two weeks ago. So all of you out there waiting for answers is to shout a little louder. Good luck!

• Edited

Hi, I know this post is old but i have experienced all of these symptoms (some constant some not) gradually worsening over the last 12 months. Reading everything in this post has been reassuring. The right side pain went away for a few months but as of 3 weeks ago, it is back, it is worse and it is constant. This has been accompanied with various other symptoms - all of which are noted above.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.