Gallbladder Symptoms

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hello everyone -- A couple of weeks ago, after experiencing right flank discomfort for a week or so, I went to my primary care physician who suspected kidney stones and referred me to a urologist.  The urologist didn't seem overly concerned and doubted he would see anything on my CT, which is scheduled for next week. THe blood test and urinalysis my physician ran were all normal, together with blood pressure, etc.

Since I first went to the doctor, my symptoms have changed, whereas now:

-- My pain, a dull ache, really,  is primarily under my right rib cage, just below the final rib

-- ocassional burning sensation in the same area and more toward the center/left of my ribs

-- ocassional, more stabbing-like pain in various areas of my back, both right and left side, as far up as between the shoulder blades

-- some fatigue -- consistently falling asleep in front of the TV in the early evening.  Pretty new behavior for me

-- Occassional mild nausea (no vomiting)

-- an occasional very loud intestinal gurgling

Do these sound like gallbladder symptoms?  I;m wondering because I don't have any of the urinary issues that seem so common and no diarrhea/constipation, etc., No jaundice, etc., though I think I'm more burp-y and gassy lately.  What do you think?

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey everyone -- Well, my CT scan is scheduled for this afternoon.  I have to say, my symptoms were pretty mild to nonexistent there for a few days...but today, I woke up with diarrhea and the gurgling is back.  The diarrhea is definitely new, but thinking it may be from a spicy vegetarian curry I had last night (though my spouse didn't have the same reaction).  Anyway, the discomfort seems to have eased under my ribs and is now more right-flank focused.  Here's hoping I get some answers today.  Thanks again for all your support and advice!
  • Posted

My CT scan and urologist appointment went well.  In fact, he said ut was the best CT he'd seen all week, no stones, no cancer, perfect kidneys, no gallbladder issues, nice looking bowels, and so on. Relieved, but wonder what's goimg on.  He said I should ask my PCP (GP in the UK, I assume...) about peptic ulcer disease or something esle I can't recall at the moment.  He did say (his words): "We DID rule out a lot of scary sh*t.." so I'm relieved about that.  Maybe it's just the aches and pains of approaching old age!
    • Posted

Schwarzerhund, Thanks for letting us know.  Maybe you just need to reduce the types and amounts of fat you eat, and limit spicy food?  I hope that's the case.  CT scans are considered pretty definitive in the US, but if you continue to have trouble there are other tests you can take to see if your gallbladder is releasing bile properly.  Good luck!  confused
    • Posted

Hi, you must be relieved to hear nothing found, even if you still have solved yr symptoms. At least you got to know soon after - In Uk I waited over 5 weeks to hear the CT scan results and even then just chance I got them as I went to the accident & emergency during a flare up! Waiting is terrible!! Anyway, it is all a process of elimination with these digestive issues. Forgive me if you have already answered this, but have you been tested for H Pylori or hiatal hernia yet? I have these plus gallstones and it seems they share similar symptoms just to make things more difficult. Take care.

• Posted

Cynthia, interesting you mention that.  The urologist suggested that I speak to my primary care physician about H Pylori and ulder disease, so I guess that's the next step.  It's true, waiting is the worst part of it all.  Thank goodness I had a scan at 2 p.,m. and was able to have it analyzed by 4 p.m.Anyway, I DO feel better about everything...funny how one's mind goes to the worst case scenario right away. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Lynda -- my urologist suggested it may be H Pylori or ulcer disease, so I may check on that next.  I also keep hearining about something called a HIDA scan, which tests for gallbladder function, so I may mention that to my primary care physicain, as well.  Thanks for your reply!
    • Posted

You're so welcome Schwarzerhund--I think that the HIDA scan is the name of the test I mentioned.  I had a CT scan last year in September and was also thinking the worst.  I was a nervous wreck before and after.  I'm one of those that has to think the worst, then I can be pleasantly surprised if it's nothing too bad!   Keep in touch.  confused 
    • Posted

Well, I have to see a urologist, so it would be nice if he can check all the things you had checked. Just had my gallbladder out Wednesday, so waiting to see how I feel in a couple weeks to a month. Not very confident that my surgery will solve all my issues, but, fingers crossed! Back to the not feeling like eating thing😔 
    • Posted

Good luck, Debbie! An abdominal scan shows everything, so it's nice to get all of those organs checked with one scan. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    • Posted

Hi, Debbie,  please try to take it easy with yourself, can take a while to recover!  Let us know how you're doing!
    • Posted

I'm taking it slow, believe that! Started taking digestive enzymes. Hope it helps!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.