Gallbladder Symptoms

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hello everyone -- A couple of weeks ago, after experiencing right flank discomfort for a week or so, I went to my primary care physician who suspected kidney stones and referred me to a urologist.  The urologist didn't seem overly concerned and doubted he would see anything on my CT, which is scheduled for next week. THe blood test and urinalysis my physician ran were all normal, together with blood pressure, etc.

Since I first went to the doctor, my symptoms have changed, whereas now:

-- My pain, a dull ache, really,  is primarily under my right rib cage, just below the final rib

-- ocassional burning sensation in the same area and more toward the center/left of my ribs

-- ocassional, more stabbing-like pain in various areas of my back, both right and left side, as far up as between the shoulder blades

-- some fatigue -- consistently falling asleep in front of the TV in the early evening.  Pretty new behavior for me

-- Occassional mild nausea (no vomiting)

-- an occasional very loud intestinal gurgling

Do these sound like gallbladder symptoms?  I;m wondering because I don't have any of the urinary issues that seem so common and no diarrhea/constipation, etc., No jaundice, etc., though I think I'm more burp-y and gassy lately.  What do you think?

2 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I'm a 37 yr old female and I've been suffering with what I believe to be pain from my gallbladder for about 2 yrs now. The pain starts in my upper right quadrant as a mild discomfort. It becomes gradually worse and becomes more localised under my right rib and radiates through to my lower back (just below the rear ribs). It's a constant ache which can last for about 10 days before it settles fully. The pain also radiates down into my groin. When I first saw my gp, kidney stones were suspected and I was sent for an ultra sound appointment. The ultrasound was clear of stones but did show a 6mm polyp in my gallbladder. However I was told this could not be the cause of my pain so was referred to a gastrologist. He repeated my ultrasound which came back clear apart from the polyp. I've had an endoscopy which came back clear and also a ct scan which came back clear. During the past two years of having these tests I continue to have flare ups of pain which apparently have no visible, physical cause. I will continue to have yearly ultrasounds because my polyp needs to be monitored but my consultant is adamant it is not the cause of my pain. I'm in the middle of a flare up now and it's really getting me down. I don't feel like eating because the pain makes me feel nauseous. I don't take any pain relief as I've yet to find one that works. My consultant has suggested my gp refer me to a pain clinic. I've been trying to notice a pattern with my flare ups and it does seem to be worse during times of stress rather then a paticular food . Does anyone else notice stress as a trigger for pain? Or anyone suffered this long without a diagnosis for pain? Apologies for the lengthy reply.
    • Posted

Hi Katie.  Wondering how you are now?  I too am thinking mine flares up with stress.  It is really strange.  Different meals don't seem to bother it, but we have recently built a house and are moving and it has really started acting up.

• Posted

Hello, my symptoms have become progressively worse since my above post. I am in daily pain in the upper right quadrant area which radiates to back and shoulder blade. I have terrible acid/indigestion symptoms. I am struggling to know what to eat because anything seems to make the pain worse at the moment. My polyp is still monitored yearly and I had my most recent ultrasound scan last week. I won't receive the results from my consultant until early November. I am constantly told that my polyp can't possibly be causing me this constant pain and discomfort and nothing else visual is showing up. This chronic pain has been going on for nearly 4 years now and the negative effect it's had on me as a person is soul destroying. Any test I have seems to come back clear. I've even had trigger point injections via the pain clinic to see if it was muscle related but they didnt make an difference to the pain. The only test I haven't had is a HIDA scan. I think my gallbladder isn't functioning as it should and this is something I will be discussing with my consultant. Sorry for the lengthy reply, you probably wish you hadn't asked ?.

• Posted

Hi Katie.  Thanks for your reply.  Don't worry about how long, it helps me to know all the details.  I am going to ask about a hida scan next.  I have a hard time believing that the polyp can't cause pain.  I mean it is something that shouldn't be there, right?  I belch a lot and just suffer with the constant pain on right side that wraps around to the back....and nausea!!  Do you take any hormones or birth control pills?  

• Posted

Hello, sorry for the late reply I've been away on holiday.

I used to take birth control pills but stopped taking them a few months back. I wanted to see if it would make any difference. I've recently started taking lanzoprazole and that helps with the acid symptoms. The only little pattern I have noticed with my pain is that it gets worse the nearer I get to my period starting. Once the initial bleeding starts it eases off for a day or so. I noticed this since I came off the progesterone only pill. I've yet to discuss this with my doctor.

• Posted

Thanks Katie.  I will pay attention to see if it bothers me more during certain times in my cycle 
    • Posted

HI, just wanted to update you that I'm now on a waiting list for gallbladder removal. My recent ultrasound shows that my polyp has grown in the past year.

How are you doing? Not in too much discomfort I hope. ?

• Posted

Hi Katie!  Did they say what causes those polyps?  My pain has been pretty regular.  Nothing debilitating and I do get breaks from it, but it's everyday.  Went back to doc.  She took labs again and recommends a ctscan next.  So I'm waiting on labs...prob know by Wednesday.  And then i guess if I'm still having the pain, I will get the ct.  I just wish they would do the us again.  I would rather that than a Ct.  sometimes I will get a sharp pain that catches my breath.  Did you ever get that?  I haven't had any nausea lately.

• Posted

Also, did they ever do a hida scan?  I will be interested to know what they tell you after the removal.  Because they may find stones and sludge after all.  Keep me updated on that
    • Posted

The only information I know about polyps is what I've come across by doing my own online research. There are different types of polyps. All I know about mine is that it's singular and it measures 7mm. It's taken 3 years to grow from 6mm to 7mm. I will also to very interested to know the state of my gallbladder once they have taken it out. My consultant who is a professor in this area of medicine isn't convinced that the polyp is the cause of my pain. He is going to have a look around with an endoscope whilst I'm under the anesthetic as I'm having gastritis symptoms which are now being eased by lanzoprasole. I spoke to my gp about HIDA scan but she didn't have much knowledge about them. I was planning to speak to my consultant but didn't feel the need to because I now know my gallbladder is coming out.

When you say labs, do you mean blood/urine samples? I've had a lot of those and they always came back normal except on occasions when my white cells were lower then normal but they always seemed to right themselves. My pain is never usually sharp it's more of a very deep sore feeling like something inside is inflamed. It's persistent and I feel it in different areas under my lower right ribs and back/shoulder blade. For the the first couple of years it would flare up every now and then. Over the past two years it's got worse and now I'm in persistent pain ranging from a level 2 to a 7 on the pain scale. I have recently found that ice works better then heat in giving me some limited relief from pain. I have been reluctant to be phobbed off with strong long-term painkillers as I felt this was just putting a plaster on something that clearly needs sorting.

My advice to you would be to keep pushing. We know our own bodies and we know when something isn't right. My polyp was only found because I started having this mystery pain. If I hadn't experienced pain I wouldn't have gone to the doctor therefore I wouldn't have been given an ultrasound which detected the polyp. I don't want to alarm you but my consultant told me that if left unmonitored they can become a cancer risk. Mine is coming out because it's started to grow and not because of my pain symptoms.

Do you live in the UK or US?

Take care.

• Posted

Does anybody have difficulties with breathing I can't breath propley when i am standing i go dizzy i feel week my belly feels a bit bloated

Am sò scared

• Posted

I have had some problems with getting a breath and also the dizziness. Do you have the other gallbladder symptoms?

Hope you find an answer.

• Posted

I can't breath very well when i am standing my belly goes tight. An it's like I don't breath through my abdomin no energy hot flushed on face am chest heartbeat in right ear an stiff neck tingly arms what about u xx

• Posted

Hi K roach.  Did you ever get any answers as to what was going on?  I haven't heard of anyone else getting the hot flushed face.  I keep thinking I am running a fever.  I was relieved to hear someone else has experienced that

• Posted

Yes. Breathing is difficult due to pain and the feeling of tightness over the diaphragm area. I also wake up with feeling of dizziness and headache around the back and sides of my head a bit like the feeling one is going down with flu.  A HIDA. Scan a couple of weeks ago showed gall bladder dysfunction with bile  ejection rate down to 41% by frame 11 after taking fatty drink and continuing to decrease   after that. Prior to going into hospital A&E the pain was so bad my liver function tests had been normal but on fasting and clear fluid because “deranged” An ultrasound had shown 3 stones that were not stuck in any of the ducts  but if just  their presence causes extreme discomfort they will consider taking the gall bladder out anyway. It’s scary but try not to get stressed as it makes it worse. Oromorph with Coca Cola really helpful! Sometimes just Coca Cola - my thoughts being that I’m not producing enough acidic bile to manage digestion properly! Good luck. See your doctor and if you haven’t already go to A&E and shout a bit louder. x

• Posted

Thanks for your post it's the breathing that's the scarest been a year but the breathing an bloated tummy has only been 6 mouths ish waiting for the op. I haven't had much pain but I do have a very stiff neck mostly on the right

• Posted

Good luck with op. Just waiting to find out when mine will be. Let me know how it goes. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.