gallstones operation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have got gallstones and waiting for my op now but tried eating porridge this morning for my breakfast but could not eat it due to the pain. then after I took my tablets I went to the toilet to be sick. Would the Doctors get me in any sooner if I can't eat but still able to drink

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi you poor thing the pain is intolerable I remember it sad 

if you call an ambulance you may get operated on quickly.

That's your only way of bringing your operation forward ..

but remember once removed it willl

be a distant memory ...

• Posted

Sadly I doubt it.  I was bedridden for 2 years and couldn't eat anything apart from Apple Juice, and skinless, grilled until dry, Chicken bits - and even then I still had attacks.  

Keep ringing the hospital and checking if there are any cancellations, and in the meantime, ask your GP (or check with your GP and buy over the counter) Buscopan anti-spasmodic pills, and take them 3 times a day, 20mins before food.  Also, when you are having attacks - buy Colofaq anti-spasmodic pills, and take those instead of Buscopan, because they are broken down in different parts of the body.  Next you also want some Peppermint Oil Capsules - Colpermin, over the counter - but again, you can get on prescription - 3 times a day.  This is to soothe your guts... and also get some anti-acid, such as Gavilast, and take those regularly too.    Apple Juice (fresh - not from Concentrate), also helps... though nobody knows why.  I also added in from Holland & Barrett health food stores, Potters Slippery Elm bark pills, and Ginger Root Capsules.  The Slippery Elm is very good for your guts, and adds fibre, and the Ginger Root Capsules stop nausea.   On top of that, you need your Doctor to give you some strong pain meds, such as Co-Dyramol - to ONLY be taken during an attack, not as a general pain medication.  Ibuprofen too is good.  Speak to your GP for strong pain relief - and keep those to hand - if you run low, get a repeat prescription.  If in doubt with attacks - GO TO HOSPITAL!

Another thing I found helped me, in the hours before attacks (It is vital to pay close attention to your body, and learn your warning signs - like a build up of gas, an increase of saliva in your mouth, change in body temperature, or any discomfort) was Simethicone.  This is an anti gas/bloat component.  I found Wind-eze tablets the best, and their gel capsules were not as effective. They are hard to find, so you may need to search for them.  The component is currently commonly available in Immodium Plus pills - but you do NOT want to use those during an attack, as you want to ease the spasms, but not slow your metabolism, which is trying to get rid of a Bile dump, and anything else, in your body.

I hope that helps you out.  Be kind to yourself, and keep chasing the hospital every week for an cancellations.

Regards

Jinny

• Posted

I would think they should. but then again, I live in CA, and have a 6 week wait for my surgery.I am on a cancelation list also. Feel like ripping it myself. I just eat fruit all day and a lot of water. Today is the first day I ate a little rice and fish, and it's hurting already. So back to water and fruit till surgery

Debbie, when is your surgery? I hope they can get you in sooner.

hang in there, until then you can talk to all of us. This little forum has really helped me

• Posted

Thanks Gail72309, Ihave spent the day in Hospital but to no avail. My consultant is off all week and his secretary is off untill tomorrow so hopefully might get somewhere after that. Since I have been back I have now been sick but I think that is more to do with the fact that i've had nothing to eat all day than anything else
    • Posted

Hi Debbie, hope you're feeling a little better today.

Do you suffer with hot and cold but no fever? I was sweaty all night and now I'm cold. And also I can't have a bowel movement without taking something, anyone have that problem?

• Posted

Hi Gail 

just reading your comment I realised I always felt sick sweaty and unwell before a bowel movement. And I often woke in the night feeling really sick and then I would have a bowel movement and be ok.. I just got used to it thought it was stress!!!! I felt nauseous a lot and thought it was nervous stomach, now my gallbladder has gone . I don't feel nauseous etc... I realised how long and how much it was affecting me... 

• Posted

Hi Sally,

exactly what I always think, I'm stressed,  my stomach is nervous and have let this go on for years. Can't wait to get this over with .

Thanks for your help

• Posted

Hi. I wondered if you're symptoms started gradually and got worse? Or just really bad straight away? 
    • Posted

Hi Beth,

I really think I have had this problem for years but always thought  or blamed it on something else. but when the last 2 months I have been in constant pain. So went to doctors, X-rays didn't show anything so was put on medicine for ulcer stomach, then 6 weeks later still sick and then was ordered ultrasound, found gallstones but still waiting for my surgery in late 

July.

What kind of pains are you having? Even if they ( the pains) calm down, something always triggers them back. So make sure you push the doctors for more tests

Gail

• Posted

Hi Gail. Thanks for your reply. I started with pain under right shoulder pain and nausea about. Month ago. Now pain and cramping right hand side back and front, near ribs. Stabbing pain in chest after food. Nausea. All symptoms gradually getting worse. My doc said she didn't think gallstones because I had an unrelated ct scan 7 months ago and there was none then. She has ordered blood work. She said possibly reflux, which I have had and am taking meds for, but this is very different pain. Very distinctive. Does this sound like you're symptoms? 
    • Posted

Hi Beth,

Yes, the tighting of the chest under your boobs? They did  a lot of blood work on me too and came back good. My doctor also gave me medicine for ulcer, reflex stomach and you know, I just read those medication agrivate gallbladder pain. look you medication up on google and ask it if that medication brings on pain. Also it said cholesterol medicine cause pain to gallbladder too. So I went off both those a few days ago and at least I not doubled over in pain anymore. Still have pain after eating, so I m just on jello and soup till my surgery.

Does anyone in your family have gallstones?  Both my sons have them, one already had his out and the other try's to avoid certain foods. but it think my Mother had them too, she had a "bad stomach" all the time too.

drink a lot of water too to ease the pain and they say a sip if pure apple juice helps with the bile .

Hope you find some relief too

Gail

• Posted

Hi Gail. Thanks so much of you're reply. Great to talk to someone with similar problems. Yes my sister had gallstones. I'm having the blood work done tomorrow and will see the doctor later in the week. I think I need an ultrasound. I haven't eaten today, but had coffee,and that set the pain off so I didn't finish it. Am about to eat now, not looking forward to it. I will take you're advice, and hope it helps. Will let you know how I go. Hope you're not in too much pain.  Thanks so much for you're help.( these forums are great) .
    • Posted

I felt like that for awhile before I got all this problem with my gallstones and just thought that it was my body's way of saying stop what you are  doing and go to the toilet
    • Posted

Hi Gail, and Debbie and anyone else on this forum. Just updating on my problem. Doctor said bloodwork is good.Said was probably reflux. I agreed because my symptoms seemed better, but I said I would like a scan just in case. I havent had it done yet because I hadn't had the pains again. Lo and behold, today I was in pain. Burning behind breast, which feels like my indigestion, but much worse, and awful shoulder pain. Later on vague pain around right ribs. Better now after about four hours. Will definitely get scan now! Hope you are all doing ok. 
    • Posted

Beth,

The pain around the right rib sounds familiar  My blood work and ultrasound all came back clear, but still had pain. The MRI was the only test that showed the stones. And be careful, before they found out it was stones they treated me for reflux or maybe ulcer and gave me pills for that and POW!!!! that really did something to the gallbladder because the pains got so much worse. Then I read on google, that the medicine was bad for attacks?

Hope they find the problem for you soon Beth, hang in there

Gail

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.