gallstones? or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this great board 39 year old male and felt like posting here to see if anybody can give me a few answers. About a month ago I suddenly got struck down by what I thought was a stomach bug, i was ill for 11 days then semed to get better. Then suddenly 10 days ago the bug returned but this time I had constipation with it and gradually had pains in my centre back and right shoulder plus occasionally in my centre chest. This has had me sick with worry but when i went to the docs he just sent me for blood tests (which i get back this week). I am so stressed by this and it seems to make the pain worse when im worrying. My sister and mother have both had gallstones in the past and had there gallbladders removed but find it strange that i have constipation with it. The pain is worse on an evening/night and after eating it seems worse its not a severe pain but its constant and keeping me awake at night. Over the counter pain relief doesn't seem to work. All your helpwould be appreciated thanks BHB

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd say you've got a Stomach or Duodenal Ulcer but yes it could be Gallstones, this constipation, (charming topic of conversation I know but) are you or have you had 'black bullet poos'? smile
  • Posted

no sorry haven't had any black poo, its been dark brown in color. forgot to mention i've also got gerd and have been unable to sleep because im waking with tingling thumbs?
  • Posted

You must be reading my body well, woke up this morning and had a grey/black colored stool covered in mucus, does this spread any light cuz its made me worried sick.
  • Posted

If it's not something you've eaten causing the colour change (which is possible), it means you should discuss your problem with your GP as soon as possible. Black bowel movements (called Melena or Melaena) can mean you have upper GI bleeding, a classic symptom of a fairly substantial Ulcer smile
  • Posted

I have hardly eaten for 10 days because whn i do eat it causes the pain, I did try some pizza last night and this played up my shoulder and back pain last night. Forgot to mention i've also had a test and have microscopic blood in my urine. But after a urine sample this had cleared. Have passed motion again since last night and the later motion appeared normal brown.
  • Posted

I suppose it could have been the tomato that caused the darkness. If it's Gallstones you should avoid fatty foods (like cheesy Pizza) at all costs. What are you taking for the GERD, have you ever been given something called Helicobacter Pylori Eradication Therapy (Omeprazole or Lansoprazole and Antibiotics)? smile
  • Posted

No but am booked into see my GP this morning at 10.30. Its one of the things im going to ask him about. TBF i think the worry im experiencing is making matters worse I keep convincing myself its cancer or something just as nasty. Gonna ask him if theres any meds i can take to help with the anxiety also.
  • Posted

You'll have to tell us what your GP says :D
  • Posted

dr says it doesn't seem sinister but he has sent me for a gallbladder scan and a h pylori test just to check.
  • Posted

No medicines then? smile I hope for your sake it doesn't start really raging because it's terrible sad Try to get back to basics with your diet (it'll help whatever your problem is), fresh fruit and vegetables with low fat meats are good, ready meals and similar crap are bad wink
  • Posted

Ok thanks...will keep u updated when i get my results.
  • Posted

I had very similar symptoms to you, and thought it was gallstones, but the pain went away before they could diagnose anything. I have a CT scan next week.

When this happened a couple of years ago, I that the constipation was brought on by the painkillers I was given - codeine based painkillers cause constipation.

• Posted

Im now guessing it wasnt gall stones, for about 3 hours last night i broke out in a sweat then later the pains seemed to go away and my head cleared, my body is still aching and my stomach a bit raw but feel loads better and have even been able to eat properly. Was it a virus or bacteria? guess i might never know
  • Posted

Im now guessing it wasnt gall stones, for about 3 hours last night i broke out in a sweat then later the pains seemed to go away and my head cleared, my body is still aching and my stomach a bit raw but feel loads better and have even been able to eat properly. Was it a virus or bacteria? guess i might never know
  • Posted

Hi bhb, i was suffering exactly like you and after many trips to my GP I initially had a CT Scan which showed that I had a Cyst in my left Kidney (& was assured that is all it is) I also have Duodinitis & Gallstones, my GP prescribed Lanzoprozole capsules (1 daily), and after many weeks I was still left with dreadful pain in my left side radiating right up my back and left shoulder. Eventually I had an Endoscopy (which I was petrified of but was given a twilight anwesthetic and dont remember a thing). The Endoscopy showed that I had a Hiatus Hernia, as well as the Gallstones duodinitis. My Dr said that all these problems are mainly caused through eating all the wrong foods, too many fatty foods etc.

I am now taking the Lanzoprozole regularly and must say that it keeps the pain at bay, however, when I eat rubbish, the pain returns.

Please insist that your GP sends you for CT scan and most of all an Endoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.