Gallstones ruining my life! Anyone feel sick all the time?

Posted , 16 users are following.

So fed up of these damn gallstones! Currently on a waiting list to have gallbladder out but keep being ambulanced to hospital for pain relief as nothing at home cuts it. Noticed feel sick lots and my acid reflux has got alot worse also. Anyone else have similar problems?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsay I had the same symptoms as you, ive now had my op but have noticed anything fatty or greasy still makes me ill.  Have you tried a really low fat diet as when I was suffering before op I was sent home on veg and water I know thats extreme and to be honest as it was xmas I didnt stick to it 100 per cent but since op I have joined a slimming group and am feeling loads better which Im convinced is a lot to do with the food.          Hope this helps good luck
  • Posted

Hi Lindsay, 

since having my gallbladder taken out 6 weeks ago I still have symptoms of acid reflux depending of what I have eaten. I find being on a low fat diet helps as I find eating more fatty foods makes it worse. 

I was hoping that after the op I would be able to eat anything, but unfortunately I still have symptoms only no where near as bad as I had before the op.

i do hope you don't have to wait long to have your operation and things get better for you x 

• Posted

Had op March 2nd, and still have reflux, especially if I eat fatty food. Also having cramps feelings under ribs. All you can do is manage your pain the best way you know how, which is what you seem to be doing. Eat small infrequent snacks or food, every 2-3 hours, low fat, and watch your dairy and high carb intake. Those seem to make me feel worse still. Good luck to you, hope your op is soon!
  • Posted

Thank you all, really hoping the op will be very soon I asked to be put on the cancellations list as I have children at home and a young baby so it's just very hard when I have to keep going to hospital. Got prescribed morphine today which I had at about 12pm as pain came back. It worked after around half and hour but now I've felt horribly sick since about 5pm constant. Just had some anti sickness pills so fingers crossed will work soon x
  • Posted

Hello all... so i just wanted to give you a heads up on quite a few things. . Cuz i dont think you're aware of them. .. 1st.. prilosec or omnepresinol i think is the generic term is what you need to settle your stomach before and after surgery. .. and a low fat diet will help assist in dealing will gallstones, especially pre-surgery!! For those of you whove had surgery, you have to know that you have to reintroduce foods SLOWLY into your diet.. or your just looking for trouble. . You no longer have a gallbladder. . So your body is just dumping bile straight into your stomach, which is what causes stomach upset... prilosec helps alot with this. .. and before surgery.. stones block ducts. . Which causes MAJOR PAIN... so keeping your diet mild and free from fatty /spicy foods will help alot in the xpain area.. as far as pain meds.. you will get constipated big time if your not careful, so be mindful of taking a stool softner or laxative to keep things moving! ! I'll be back for other things since i have to run!!
  • Posted

Currently in awful pain yet again, what does it mean when the attacks are becoming alot more often?
  • Posted

It probably means your either passing a stone, or a stone is blocking 1 of the ducts.... hard to say without images. But images dont always pick up the stones as well... have you had a hida scan done??. Usually that is a very good indication of how your gallbladder is doing and if bile is passing at all through the ducts or is blocked by a stone lindsay... more than likely, if your having this many attacks it is just going to continually get worse and more painful... when i finally had an emergency surgery.. i was in screaming pain at the er... the worse thing that is going on is that the more attacks that your having, the more infected and inflamed your gallbladder is getting. If the occurs, they will be unable to do any surgery on your gallbladder if it is swollen and infected... and might even have to put a drain in it. And a drain is the worse feeling in the world lemme tell you. .. had one for 3 weeks , and i would of rather kicked myself in the teeth 2x a day then had that drain in! ! If i was you, i would really maybe go on a very light diet for a few days, soup, toast, rice, no super heavy meats, no acidic juices, no spicy anything, no tomatoe sauces, just keep it light for about 3-4 days... then very slowly start re-introducing some stuff back in. .. contact your GI dr for some prilosec or buy it over the counter! !! And see if it helps.... also.. zofran... it works wondersssssss for nausea but is an rx script from the dr only. .. you may also want to have the drs check any of you guys for hiatal hernias or gastritis. ... i just had a gastroscopy done and found out i had both and my GB surgery was the day before Thanksgiving. .. still been experiencing some nausea, heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux etc..... dont forget that we have just lost an organ here. ... so it takes quite awhile for our body to recover from it, and now there is nothing stopping bile feom being dumped straight into our stomach... so at times this can either cause upset stomach if you dont eat often enough... burning sensation if there is no food to soak up the bile.. etc etc... in my case... i can't even eat a full meal anymore to save my life! !! Not even a sandwich! Drives me crazy. .. 😬😡 altho i did lose 35lbs.. not a fun way to lose it, but. .. still , no complaints i suppose. .. so good luck to you! !
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply Yeah I've had a scan and it confirmed the stones. Literally just been given a date for my op it's for this Thursday thank God there was a cancellation! Will have to be really careful this week to avoid any flare ups, don't want them cancelling it!! How quick did you recover? I'm having key hole surgery never been put to sleep before so a little scared!
    • Posted

You are so lucky to get your op so quick. Best of luck to you and keep your diet bland and as low fat as you can.
    • Posted

So what are you doing for your your HH and gastritis? When did you have your gallbladder out? I had mine out in March, and like you, can't eat much at any given time. Have you been able to put any weight back on? I have Gerd and am taking nexium 40mg, and sometimes have to supplement with Gaviscon or Pepcid. Having endoscopy and colonoscopy this month. Having pain under left rib area, and also constipation. Did you have that also? Just looking for answers and support, I suppose. Anyway, good luck to you Lindsay, and to us also tru. 
    • Posted

I am so sorry it has taken me forever to get back to you! !! Sometimes i feel like i barely make it through a day. ... feel so exhausted, somedays i have to fight to stay awake once i make it home from work... its just unbearable! ! And when i read your post,, i was just floored by some of your comments! I have been unable to put back On weight for the life of me!! And for some reason i cant even finish food... not even a whole sandwich... i mostly just attempt to eat small multiple meals a day, and my weight will fluctuate a few pounds up, but right back down to the weight ive lost pre surgery (the 35lbs ive lost since dealing with gallbladder issues. . And iven lost a few more over the last couple of weeks, and i dont watch what im eating at all anymore)... my biggest change I've noticed is that i used to have serious IBS issues.. mostly diarrhea, and for some reason ive been experiencing more and more serious constipation. . Which has been a nightmare!!! Very painful, backed up for days and by the time it hits serious mode.. its not fun. .

I had my GB out the day before thanksgiving... on emergency surgery if you can imagine. . I was in screaming pain by the time something had to be done. I am on prilosec for the hernia for now i believe and the gastritus.. i think it coats the stomach before meals.... it has helped some... i still do experience some nausea on some days and i take zofran for that when i do... lemme know if any of that helps?? The constipation lately is driving me nuts! !

• Posted

Ps... i also notice whenever i eat that my stomach feels like a hard rock, occasionally bloated.. but usually hard ... and then i sometimes get the nausea. .. then as i mentioned i dont have much of an appetite. . Some days are better than others, but mostly cant finish a plate ever. .. the heartburn has gotten better with the prilosec, i use to have this horrible chunk like feeling in the back of my throat for months. .. felt like something was sitting in the back of my throat and i could literally swallow over it. .. and i was getting chest pains again for awhile. Sometimes the release of bile can cause alot of upswt stomach issues. ..
    • Posted

I have all the same things as you! I was told to take Zantac though, as needed. Bloated, pain/ pressure under ribs, especially left side, no appetite still, and when I do eat, it's not much, and I'm very fatigued constantly! Wonder if this will ever end? 
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsay gald to hear you have an op date   It has taken me a while to get over the op went back to work after 3 weeks but I wenr back too soon and it felt like id been hit by a bus , fatigue us the only problem that I ve experianced  so far but now on multi vitamins and am back to normal in general my op was in January                            Godd Luck hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.