Gas / Bloody Mucus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am a 43 year old healthy male.  I have an issue that surfaced 3 -4 weeks ago.

Noticed blood on stool.  Watched for a few days - didn’t go away.  Became more gassy with days.  Then came blood / mucus and gas.  Still having my regular BM.  Albeit I changed my diet up trying to see if that had an impact - it did I suppose lessen the symptoms but certainly did not eliminate them.  I have gone back to eating normally.  May as well not starve myself.

I still go thru the day ok but at some point in the day I can feel the stress coming on in the bottom end. Like my rectum is filling with gas / pressure / stool (you never know until you go).  Then I battle with numerous trips to the throne until all the gas and bloody mucus have gone thru me.

The blood is contained in the mucus and doesn’t disperse in the toilet.  Not sure what that means.  I only see bloody water on a BM which I assume is due to the aggressive movement of the stool across the bloody surface somewhere inside.

All my blood work, stool, urine, ekg, - everything has come back normal.  I had perhaps one day of left side ‘discomfort’ loosely put - not pain.  Of course due to my mind - I think I have it everyday but I think that is not true.  I am quite active, energetic and am feeling no physical I’ll effects from this outside of the stress and the immediate symptoms from down under.  Unfortunately I am a pessimist by nature and have sentenced myself to death via colon cancer - this is stressing me out.

Can anyone provide some observations or thoughts.  I have immediately booked myself for a colonoscopy and will have that in 2 weeks.  I just wanna go into this with a positive mindset so hopefully someone can help me get there.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Patrick,

Did you have a fit test done on a stool sample? I had blood in my stool, positive fit test, a flexible sigmoidoscopy and finally a colonoscopy. I'm so glad you have a colonoscopy booked, you will get your answer then.

In the meantime, don't freak out. Stress is just going to make symptoms worse. If you have a polyp, it's most likely not cancer and they would remove it at the time of your colonoscopy. Polyps take YEARS to turn cancerous. You just started demonstrating symptoms? I think you will be just fine. Most cases of blood in stool is NOT cancer. So, deep breath, relax! Update us here after your colonoscopy.

• Posted

Vwerin - yes I had a FIT test done.  It was negative.  All the blood is quite red / bright. 

I have had only a digital finger which was negative.  I am quite impatient so I decided to get a colonoscopy rather than anything in between.

• Posted

Most reading suggests Polyps are relatively unnoticeable and symptom free - only to discover them on a screening exam.  This is certainly not my situation- my bowel habits have certainly been turned upside down.

I can tell my Bowel is active - lots of churgling- minors sounds - has movement - almost similar to hunger pangs in a way.

The mucus with small blood amounts (certainly no more than a tablespoon) is so new to me - never seen that in my life.   Once the Rectum / anus starts to feel pressure (need to go)  it’s though to hold and it continues for a 3-5 hour period until it settles.

As I indicated previously that’s really the extent of the symptom- no pain, no fever, no diarrhea, etc.

Very frustrating and worriesome.

• Posted

Negative fit test is good. And first and foremost, stop googling!!

I had a dark, maroon colored blood coating my stool. Turned out I had a benign polyp! Doctor warned me had I let it go longer it may have turned cancerous. It's all about paying attention to your body. Which it seems you have. The bright red blood would indicate that it's rather a fresh bleed, and not very far in your colon. so maybe some trauma when you go? The darker the blood the further up in your colon the cause is.

There's so many other causes, more likely causes. I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

• Posted

Hi all - stress level up high today.

I learned from my parents today that my Dad actually had a portion of his sigmoid removed due to cancer.  He was 59 years old.  It’s wild how private that generation is.  He is 79 years old now and all is well.

Of course you know where my head has gone since learning this.  I guess if I had known I would have probably had a colonoscopy at 40 perhaps but who knows.

I have since read more about Sigmoid Cancer and found a slide which kinda summarized my symptoms exactly.

-vague abdominal cramps - very subtle but different. - check

- change is Bowel habits - starting with constipation following by increasing mucus diarrhea (diarrhea I don’t have) but lots of mucus. - check 

- as obstruction increases - increased mucus production sometimes with blood. And more constipation - check

Colonoscopy is in 6 days.  Anything is possible I know.  Here I am a healthy guy up until now so it is real tough to comprehend that I could be dealt a blow next week.

I understand there is nothing anyone can say to help me here but I am grasping for something positive to occur on Thursday next week.

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear that you are having more stress due to your fathers history you didn't know about. I'm glad you are having your colonoscopy in 6 days, it will relieve some stress for sure. The not knowing part is the hardest thing. I still think it could be many things and it sounds like your father had quite advanced spread of cancer in his bowel if a portion of his bowel was removed. Also what I find to be reassuring is colon cancer is from polyps/growths on the colon that when left for too long (talking 7-10 years) they CAN turn cancerous. That is a long time. You are young. so I guess what I am saying is that even if it is a polyp, they would remove it, and test it and chances are you will be just fine. Don't fret. Please let us know how it goes in 6 days! 

• Posted

Be positive, I got a cancer diagnose, but you could be ok. You are doing the best thing (colonoscopy) that is the right choice. I wish you luck and keep in touch. Remember, you are making the best choice with colonoscopy. It will ease your mind. Be thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

I am 30 y.o.female and have had the exact symptoms you have mentioned! Even the being perfectly healthy and changing my diet which perhaps eased symptoms but did not eliminate them. I am NOT a worrier, at all, even when I perhaps should be, but this is not sitting well with me.  I am very worried that something isn't right. Please update us to know how your colonoscopy went.  I have not seen a doctor as I do not have any insurance.  My husband and I make virtually no money so I do not want to go if this is nothing is wrong... but something just feels very wrong.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you!

• Posted

I'm having the same symptoms as both you and Patrick, whatever happened to him? Whatever happened with you?

• Posted

I'm sorry you don't have any money, it must be hard for you. A colonoscopy would be the best thing to do. I am urging everyone to get one done. If I was diagnosed the first time with the right thing, I would not be in this cancer stage. Please, can you borrow the money, it could save your life.

• Posted

So what happened after colonoscopy? I have the same symptoms you been talking about, and I'm curious to know what happened, good things I hope

• Posted

Hi I am having the same symptoms as many on here and have a coloscopy soon

I have had bleeding and mucus for the last couple of weeks and initially running to the toilet several times a day to now constipation I also have back pain worried sick 

• Posted

Always disappointing when someone like Patrick posts their concerns, say they have an upcoming test, and then just disappear! Good or bad, they really should post a follow-up!

• Posted

I had the symptoms you are having, but I had a lot of severe pain. You are doing the right thing by getting a colonoscopy done. Stress will make it worse, I know. I too have to keep running to the bathroom with the pressure feeling and not knowing if I have to go or not. Try to do the best you can and the colonoscopy will tell you. It is not a bad procedure, you are asleep. I hope all goes well, please let me know how you make out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.