Gas in abdomen after surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can  anyone tell me the best way I can disperse inflating Gas from my abdomen after having Gallbladder removed. Having op on Tuesday and want to be prepared for this side effect

Thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hope you're doing well - 2nd day post op now I presume. So by sometime today you'll be allowed to lock yourself in the bathroom and sign a legal document (48 hours after anaesthetic).

I was told to do lots of walking, which really helped, particularly on 2nd and 3rd day post op They kept me in overnight 1st night with a drainage tube in as my gallbladder was quite inflamed) so I spent most of the day after the op on the ward - didn't feel like walking much that day. I'd booked myself and hubby into a budget hotel near the hospital for a few days as I thought it would be more comfortable post op than our small top floor flat - and someone else doing the house work! It certainly made it easier for hubby to visit without going all the way home when they kept me in.

Anyway, the hotel was just behind a large shopping centre. I was told no heavy lifting (nothing over 1kg) after the op. So of course I had to do lots of walking round the shopping centre, with hubby carrying my bags - doctor's orders! That cheered me up! And being able to eat solid food after the 2 week soup and yoghurt pre-op liver shrinking diet they put me on!

Pain was easily controlled with painkillers. I was on paracetamol and codeine, and asked a pharmacist whether I could take them for more than the 3 days it allows on the packet. He said it was fine to take them for longer as it was for post op pain, but in the event I didn't need to.

Now 7 weeks post op so I cant make hubby carry everything any more. I still have a few twinges if I press on or hit the right side but I'm much better than before the op, and so glad I had it, even though I'm the original nervous patient (can't even have a blood test without anaesthetic cream). They were really good at the hospital, and pain control was good throughout - the period pains I used to get every month were far worse!

• Posted

Hiya, no one told me not to lift anything over 1kg, nor to stick to a non solid diet until two weeks post op. Must admit I've been eating and drinking what I fancy, obviously being careful.

I'm feeling uncomfortable at the moment, just had my 14 staples removed today and they really stung.

I hope you're doing ok and healing well.......Happy Shopping 

Take care and wishing you well x

i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.