Gas pain, after appendix out.

Posted , 4 users are following.

10 days ago I had an emergency laparoscopic  appendectomy and was  recovering well. First bowel movement 6 days after op' after taking taking Movicol prescribed by surgeons, however was advised to up to 2 sachets instead of one and got diahhorea for few days. Pain woke me 2 nights running over appendix area so saw GP yesterday. He checked me over, no fever thankfully only bloated belly and lots of bowel noises when he listened, so came to the conclusion its wind pains.  I am passing smallish amounts of wind but not enough to make a difference to pain and uncomfortable bloating. Really difficult. Bowels not moved today as yet, but the only finished with the runs yesterday. Otherwise up and about, moving reasonably well and pottering about a good bit inside home.

Anyone had the same experience 10 days after surgery? Would really appreciate any remedies you took to help. Tried peppermint tea, hot water,very  gentle massage of tummy., nothing seems to help.

Anyreplies would be a God send, it's rally getting me down now, thanks a lot.

Yvonne

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne

Please look at Replies to Faye for my history and please any input is welcome It was just easier for me to post to one of you. All my details are there. I am having similar problems that you and Gaye are having. Tku Denise

• Posted

Hi Denise,

?Adhesions are horrible, so sorry that you've had such a trial throughout the op'. 

I bought some of those cystitis sachets and they seem to help with the uncomfortable bladder sensations for a little while.  And I'm still taking a reduced dose of stool-softeners 12 weeks on, as I'm taking co-codamol for pain relief 4 times a day and of course codeine is well known to give you constipation. Also I did my back in getting up to pass urine 2-3 times a night (no infection) and I suspect I did it getting out of bed when half asleep, although with you being fit I expect your muscles will be okay.  I also have M.E. and IBS and have been inactive for over 17 years so very out of condition.  As for the wind, and pains in my tummy I'm still suffering, although I do find something called Wind Settlers (in U.K.) which definitely seems to help shift it a bit.

?Sorry not to be more help.  It's disappointing to think isn't it, that even after the operation the pain and uncomfortableness goes on, I was even naive enough to actually give thought to, 'Hey, maybe that appendix was the route of all my troubles, and I might get a lot better all round now!'. Yet....there is Faye, 2 years along and still suffering.

But being able to ask questions on this forum has helped me loads, and it's also, as Faye says, just reassuring to find there are others out there who know what we're talking about!

?Hope that you feel at least a bit better soon Denise, best wishes.

Yvonne 

• Posted

It has been 2 weeks in Thur. I got my foley out and peeing my own. Lots of bladder spasms but lessening as days go on. Up to 3 stool softener a a day is helping bowels and gas pain. Some prune juice too. Gas pain is still coming and going especiall after eating. Moving around better too. Still bloated but improving. Very tired. But doing more. Down to 1 pain pill a day before bed. If I get uncomfortable during day taking ibuprofen or Tylenol. Resting as much as I can. Incisions looking good. Just feeling frustrated this will take a long time to mend. I think I mentioned I am fitness instructor before. So my MD said I need to wait 6-8 weeks to be safe before going back to work. It is the unknown of how I will be after this that some times freaks me out. But trying to stay out of my head and take it one day at a time. Hope your doing well.
    • Posted

Hi Denise, sounds like you're doing just great! That's really good you'll be back doing your Fitness training soon now. Wow you doing so well having only one lot pain killers I'm STILL having them 4times a day! Mind you I'm a whole lot older than you I'm guessing and got other things alongside, M.E. Pelvic neuropathy, IBS, a skin problem, Migraine the list goes on... Still not as bad as some, I too am lucky to have a really lovely husband. Do hope you continue to improve daily, I get anxious too like you mentioned, it is hard,I try my best to distract myself from it though. The Internet is a great help! Take care Denise.

Hug Yvonne

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

I just wanted to update you on my progress at 5 weeks postop. I am finally doing really well and also most back to semi normal. I have no pain meds except for the occasional Ibuprofen for soreness. I am driving and exercising moderately. I may be able to go back to week after Sept 8 about 9 weeks post op. I am a fitness instructor so my surgeons want me to stay home as long as possible.

My general surgeon says it will take about 5-6 months for all the swelling and bloating to go away and get my body back to normal. So for now sweatpants, stretchy leggings and Soffee shorts for me. I can't fit in any of my clothes so I have gone shopping for now which is not the end of the world. I have no more gas thank goodness and bowels moving well without stool softeners. Back to eating vegatarian and hope to be back to vegan in a few more weeks. Started taking flaxseed in my morning shake again and slowly adding in my vitamins again too without any problems.

I hope this note finds you well and progressing. I can't thank you enough for replying to me, giving me good ideas and just for the support. Have a lovely day. Denise

• Posted

sorry to hear this i am one day after surgery for appendectomy discharged avfew hours after the op now at home and the gas shoulder pain is almost unbearable any advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.