Gassy chest pains; a constant feeling of needing to burp...

Posted , 54 users are following.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed the closest bet.

Every so often (once a month or so), I experience what I can best describe as gassy chest pains. It's a tight fullness from about the middle of my chest up to the top of my throat (I'm assuming in my esophagus). It feels as if I need to get a good burp out to relieve the discomfort, yet no burp that I can manage is ever enough.

The discomfort gradually progresses into radiating waves of significant aching pain (dull in some areas, sharp in others) in the region of my chest/throat that I described.

Any amount of swallowing aggravates the pain, which proves to be problematic as my mouth starts producing excess amounts of saliva, which I have to continually expel.

The symptoms make it virtually impossible to sleep, if the condition hits at night (which it most often does), and laying down only seems to make the sensations worse. I've found that sitting up or standing while bending forward slightly (as when leaning over a counter, for instance) seem to provide the most positional relief, although it isn't much.

If I hold a deep breath when I feel a wave of pain coming, I seem to be able to bear it a little better than if I exhale or breathe normally.

The pain and chest/throat discomfort usually last a good few hours. Once the pain does subside, I'm usually left with a knotted feeling in the pit of my stomach for the better part of a day.

Since it began occurring more than a few times, I started keeping a log of things I've eaten before the symptoms began. Some recurring foods that may have triggered episodes include fatty red meats, chocolate, and (maybe) dairy.

In researching such symptoms/triggers, I found myself reading about GERD, and at first thought that might be what I had. But the pains I experience are achey, not burning or acidy, as described as the symptoms of GERD.

I've tried taking Tums, Alka-Seltzer, Gas-X, and drinking warm water when episodes begin, but nothing seems to help, other than time.

I know that stress can cause/aggravate such symptoms as well, and in some of my instances that might have played a role, but in others, some of the worst, I felt totally at ease before the symptoms flared up.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the best diet in the world. While I don't eat a lot of fast food, I also don't get as many fruits and vegetables as I should be having daily (especially fruit). I don't know if that would play any role here. I do take a daily multivitamin supplement.

Also, I do have a pre-existing heart condition (ventricular leakage after balloon valvuloplasty for pulmonary stenosis that I had as a child), but I don't see how that would be related to this matter, as I doubt any heart-related issues would be associated with the urge to burp.

And I am a 30 year old male.

I know that other people's issues are much more serious, but man, these conditions are quite unpleasant when they occur. Any opinions/insights as to what I might be experiencing, and how to treat or, better yet, prevent it, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

6 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I too have a problem of blocked burp feeling and it results headache especially if I sleep right after meals or eating anything. I just want to share my simple remedy from my experience that helps me expel burp. 

I found the easiest way to release the burp is to place both your hands at the back of your neck near the skull and do gentle massage while keeping your head/neck straight up. Doing this in standing position is better.

The other thing you can do at the same time or separately is to move your shoulders backwards and towards the center of backbone/neck. Your shouldrs are slightly lifted.

I am a software developer and realized that this symptom is caused by constant tilted position of head towards monitor/laptop causing strains in your neck muscles. This can also be some digestive disorder.

I don't know the scientific reason for it but this helped me a lot to get relieved from burps and my headaches are very much reduced. Before finding this, I used to walk a lot after meals and before going to sleep in order to avoid headaches.

Also, this is analogous to newborn babies who need to burp out right after feeding otherwise they get very uncomfortable and cry. A gentle massage on their back and neck with their straight up position helps them release burp.

Please try this simple and effective remedy and let me know if it helps anyone.

• Posted

Thanks. The idea of moving shoulders backwards and toward centre of  backbone/neck worked, but massaging the neck near skull is not working. Could you explain this please. 
    • Posted

Glad to know that the tip helped you. It is the back of head and neck. Gently press the middle/center area of back of neck with your fingers for few seconds.

I found an image on google images showing the massage spot I am talking about at the following link:

https://d1hekt5vpuuw9b.cloudfront.net/assets/article/63bf01185c533c7c4ee730fd62ec006f_stretches-back-neck-pain_580x326_featuredImage.jpg

I also found that I have food intolerance to lentils which cause me gas & headache. I tried taking digestive enzymes just before eating lentils. It was very helpful and saved me from headache resulting from lentils-indigestion. However I use digestive enzymes only when I take lentils/beans in my meals.

• Posted

Hi, 

for the past 2 weeks I've been having the exact same problem every night. Athough I haven't  gone to see my local GP I have however been trying to discover the problem myself. Fie the record both my parents and my older brother are medical.

- I lean on one side and slouch down a lot.

- Everytime I eat or drink dairy It seems to get worse.

-I have been feeling anxious and had a lot of anxiety recently which could be causing my chest and throat pain.

yesterday I tried drinking peppermint tea as for some reason it apparently helped clear the tightness and need to 'burp'. It works great I'm going to e honest and say you will burp a lot after it but it removes that need to burp sensation. I hope this helped just a little bit smile

• Posted

peppermint tea gives me reflux...i just thump my chest gently with a hollow fist or take ENO's Fruitsalts....works for me  

• Posted

I have a similar problem. It doesn't wake me up at night but I get the feeling of trapped wind in my chest. Along with this I also feel it in my upper abdomen. And dull pain radiates to my back and between shoulder blades. I was born with reflux. And I've always had problems with with heart burn and the like. But the ache and the indestion don't happen together. I just take Zantac for reflux. But the rest I just try to ride out. Maybe I need probiotics? Don't like going to doctors until I've exhausted all other options. 

• Posted

Ahh man. I've been diagnosed with a mild hiatal hernia. Was on Nexium for years. Read about how terrible that is to be on. Got off, sever acid rebound for months, but I got on Pepcid. Take it before night because that's when it hits me. But I've been having these similar issues for the first time.

How's your diet?

Mine has been terrible because of vacation. So I had heartburn. But then I had bad anxiety for the first time in my life. I thought it was anxiety causing these issues, but now I think this is causing anxiety. But I feel like I have pressure or air in my chest. Makes you wanna reach down and burp to get it out.

I've been belching a lot more than normal. The other discomfort I've been getting is at the bottom of my throat. It feels like a little pressure. I feel like the flap isn't closing so acid and air is going up which causes the burping. It's like someone is squeezing that part of the throat inside. Maybe it's the esophagus? Not sure.

Gonna try and cut down on food, eat some yogurt with live bacteria, and try to stay away from fried food and desserts. Yesterday's milkshake made me feel pressure all night until bed.

• Posted

Anxiety seems to be quite a common theme here in a lot of posts.  That's reassuring.  I did have something causing me a LOT of anxiety suddenly, but that resolved and the discomfort/pain hasn't shifted for 3-4 days now.  

I know what you mean, I also feel like the feeling itself also causes anxiety - possibly because I have been worrying if maybe it's heart related but ECG was all good.  I think it might be just that our brain interprets this feeling as threatening or related to anxiety, so it triggers a further anxiety feeling.

• Posted

Hi I have the same problem I have had many test done a bloods and they have put it down to acid reflux I have tried 3 different types of tablets and now on different stronger meds which seem to be helping it ease of slowly. Would advise seeing ur go and mentioning acid reflux. 

But be prepared ur life will change there so much I can't eat and drink no more becuz it effects it. 

But I rather give up things than feel like this.

Drink honey and warm water that also help ease the wind feeling

Lisa

• Posted

Im a 39 yo female and tqo days ago the symptoms started i felt like i was dying. I ended up dry heaving for 5hours straight. Eventually i did throw up and thought i had the flu. But two days later and still waking up with this gas bubble moving from my diaphragm to my chest making ot feel like a heart attack and forcing myself to burp has been insane. Ive literally slowed down my intake on food went to a bland diet until last night and wanted eggrolls. It came nack with a vengeance and now im going to try some gas rwliwf pills drink ginger aid tea and see of it helps. Hopefully it will but ill have to suffer wo more hours til i can get to the store which now ill be up trying to not throw up once again. I have never felt this kind of pain before.
  • Posted

we have the same sympoms. Developed them after having hernia surgery.  Constant burping- trouble burping at night. Tight throat and phantom chest pains. Went to gastro doctor- got scoped- said it was barretts esophagus- changed diet - got on Nexium-worked out everyday- lost 25 lbs- got scoped again- told its not barretts- symtoms may be worse now though- now going to ENT

Things that help

1. No food past 7 PM

2. inclined my bed 15 degrees

3.Give up caffeine, alcohol, and gluten (pasta is the worst for GERd)

This has only helped my night burps being they dont get stuck in my throat anymore

I’ll let you know how ENT goes

I’m 38 year old male in good shape 

• Posted

Salad! This exact thing to a T happens to me every time I eat salad, especially spinach salad and even worse if I'm not sitting straight up at a table while eating. What I mean is if I go eat my salad while sitting in my living room chair in which I am not sitting up perfectly straight, I get the symptoms.  Until I read what you wrote, I thought the excessive saliva was all in my head as a result of just knowing I can't swallow or the pain will be worse. I know the pain is caused from the intake of too much air that I am not expelling, but I'd like to know what is actually causing the blockage in a mechanical/physical sense. Oh and I sometimes get hiccups following the episodes and can feel the air bubble trying to get out with every hiccup. I've read some tips on here to help relieve the symptoms and that I will gladly try, but I'd welcome more! Please. I think many of us will. If anyone gets explanations of causes, we'd love to hear those, too!

• Posted

I have been dealing with these EXACT symptoms and until now have not found someone else describing them in such an exact fashion. I WAS a pretty heavy drinker and it started to happen the next day after drinking. It would last for hours. I couldn’t lay down because of the feeling that a burp was stuck in my throat. I would have chest pains which finally triggered a panic attack and I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. This has been going on for a few months and with all my research the one thing I’ve come up with is Hiatal Hernia. I haven’t been seen by a doctor but the pieces seem to fit. I’ve given up alcohol and can’t eat past 7pm. I’m hoping this will spark a good change. Has anyone been tested for a hiatal hernia with these symptoms? The only symptom of hiatal hernia that doesn’t fit for me is the strong heartburn/indigestion. I feel a burning sensation in my chest that feels better from drinking a sip of cold water but have never had a problem with food or acids coming back up. 
  • Posted

A couple of years ago I suffered a mild heart attack. I didn't even realize there was anything seriously wrong. That's because I was accustomed to having chest pain, just like what you describe, except my pain may have been more regular. The doctors at the hospital performed angioplasty and stented the problem artery, but I continued to have what felt like the same chest pain. It was a dull churning pain that could only be somewhat relieved by burping. The pain would soon build up to full intensity again within a couple of minutes. I might have described it as severe hunger pains that start in the pit of my stomach and slowly build up pressure that rises to the top of my chest. My cardiologist was convinced that the pain was heart-related, so I continued to see him regularly to monitor my symptoms. My Family Physician was also very involved in trying to solve the problem. Most people do not experience pain after having their arteries cleared and stented. It was my Family doctor who suggested I try a drug called a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI), which is something prescribed for GERD. I started using Nexium and while it did not completely alleviate the pain, within a couple of weeks it began to make a huge difference.

I did not want to stay on a PPI"s for long, so I also began to experiment with changing my diet. The standard medical approach to a GERD diet is to remove certain things from your diet. They are easy to remember because they are all the things that make eating pleasurable. No chocolate, coffee, tomato sauce, spices (no Indian!), fat, alcohol or tobacco for me. I had to find something different.

What finally worked for me was a keto diet. Simply put, I did not eat any sugar, bread or grain. I can eat as much vegetable as I want, along with bacon, eggs, sausage and a handful of nuts now and then. I did not monitor how much I ate. Three eggs, 4 pieces of bacon and half an avocado would be a typical breakfast for me. After a month of this, I was off the PPI and symptom-free! I was even able to start eating spicy food again. I work out regularly so I had to reintroduce a small amount of rice to my diet because I was losing too much weight. I am a firm believer that what we eat is the number one contributor to how we feel, and how healthy we are.

• Posted

Thank you!  I don't eat sugar, bread or any gluten grains and haven't done for 20 years.  I do however have cacao twice a day - that's the only thing I could eliminate from your list.  So don't want to do that! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.