Gastric Band in two weeks!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, 

not long till my operation is planned ... Actually can't wait to get started!  Not looking forward to the pre diet but I know lots of people are only allowed Milk so I shouldn't complain about my 1000 cal a day for one week preparation! 

Ive read quite a bit but would like to chat to others who have been through the operation and can answer a few questions I have about diet post op etc... 

Ill list a few few things here and would be delighted to hear from you if you would like to chat .... 

1).  How painful will it be post op ?  I know about the trapped wind thing but will I be able to drive two days post op?  

2) I run my own business and I work from home,  will I be able to work at my computer and hide the operation from my staff a few days post op?   I don't really want them to know!   

3). I realise that the band doesn't really start to work properly until you have the first infil.  Does this mean I will feel hungry post op?  Do you feel full whilst on the first, liquids only stage which lasts a few weeks I believe ? 

4).  Do you feel exhausted from lack of food?  I will need to work and am a bit worried that I will be so hungry or tired or week that I won't be able to? 

5). I've read bits and bobs about what you can and can't eat when you are post infil and on solids again. 

Can you please give me some examples of meals that you eat and enjoy please?   I love meditaranian type food/ salads/ olives / fish etc .. Just not sure how salad leaves are tolerated?  

Also is porridge ok or not? 

I am am most worried about eating out.  My partner and I eat out quite often, in a fairly healthy way actually,  he is not at all over weight and is pretty health conscious and is being very suportive bt.  I'm more worried about what to do if we go to friends and family for meals when they just hand you a plate of food!   I really don't want to tell everyone .... Any advice / ideas very welcome . 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosie 

I have my band op scheduled for mid February so am also interested in a response to the questions you have raised!

Lucky you with the reduced calorie diet, I have the milk diet ahead of me smile

Becky xx

• Posted

Thanks for your message Rebecca :-) 

Good Luck !  And I hope my questions will be answered and help us both!! 

Rosie :-) 

• Posted

It was a almost a week before I drove kids to school, gently, dont know about 2 days. I also had 10 days off work before I went back (didnt tell anyone in work) but I could have gone back a few days sooner - I sit at a desk so was no problem - so you should be OK.  Post op wasnt too painful - just take the painkillers they give you even if you dont think you need to - that way your covered.  The shoulder pain wasnt as bad as I was expecting - did hurt but I could cope.

The first couple of days after the op I wasnt hungry at all and I would have a shake or an actimel with some milk to sip about two to 3 a day - but I had to force myself to have them - but cups of tea went down very well - went off coffee for a while no idea why. after the first week i started making some home made soups - butternut squash which I love and wizzing scotch broth out of a tin.  then as time went on did pea n ham and a mixed pulses with ham - i think its important to try and keep protein up.

Didnt go the loo properly for a week - amazing for me who normally goes twice a day! but thats down to just having liquids.  Remember to take your extra vitamins and calcuim tablets! and have some windeze in to chew for any shoulder pain.  keep active and walking a little bit further each day should help you recover quicker too.

The following 2 weeks adding normal food I went to a few vegetable soups firstly with and the pea and ham with lentil pearl barley etc - but didnt wizz it to mush.  I also cooked salmon in soy sauce with small slices of chillies and garlic on top - lush!  Cod in butter sauces are a quick and easy option too.  Tuna with baked potatoe.  Just make sure you take a thumbnail size and chew for 30 seconds before you swallow so it is much beforehand - also try to wait another 30 seconds before your next mouthful.  I was banded 20th November and managed a small but lovely christmas meal with salmon mouse for starter.  Christmas pud n custard went down well too easily too -.  After losing 1st 9 lbs ive put on 2 lbs over christmas - but chocolate goes down too easy and too much temptation.  I was out for New year for a Japanese - chicken well chewed went down well and so did scallops and small slices of steak - and salad with beansprouts.  Bread well chewed is ok at the moment but can be a problem when you get a fill.  My first fill is 10th January.  If you go to family friends - just tell them you ate earlier and so are not hungry.  I read somewhere to use a childs fork or an oyster fork so you take smaller mouthfuls.  Im still learning from peeps but hopefully what I have learnt so far will help - just remember to chew and chew there should be no lumps swallowed as this is not good for the band.  Good Luck with your Journey x 

• Posted

Hello Jenni

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for sharing so much helpful information too!   

You have answered so many of my questions. It is really reasuring to hear all this from someone who has just / is still going through these early stages. 

Sounds like you you are doing very well already and that is before your first infil too!    

I hope that goes well.    

Have you told anyone about your procedure yet? Do your children know?  

Im just wondering how realistic it is to think that I can keep this a secret from virtually everyone??   But I'd really rather keep it quiet!  My sons are all fairly grown up at 25/24 & 16 and only the 16 year old lives at home now so I don't think it will be too hard to keep it from him - although he will obviously notice a big change in my eating habits I guess!  But I think I can explain this as a diet .... 

Anyway, I'd love to stay in touch if you'd like to ... 

Have a good Day! 

Rosie x 

• Posted

Hi Rosie

My Husband obviously knows and my oldest daughter who is 14 and very sensible. ( did tell her about 2 weeks after my op)   My 2 sisters know and my best friend.  Ive not told any of my Husbands side of the family and i dont think they really need to know - at present anyhow.  I havent told my youngest daughter of 12 as I know it would just pop out somehow and so again for now I havent told her.  People know I am dieting which I think is enough and as yet with no restriction it isnt too hard as I can eat most anything at present - so having a smaller plate being on a diet is not too noticable as I am trying to be good. I was also on a soup diet! for a few weeks and when I first came home from hospital after the Op I had said I had been away on a works trip - then had a tummy bug for a couple of days.   I havent told work or colleagues - I had booked a weeks holiday and with both weekends before I went back gave me time to recover.  Also Tomatoe soup or home made soup for lunch again is not a noticable change for them to notice.   Maybe after a couple of fills it might be more difficult at Family meals etc but that is a hurdle I will cross when I get there.

Always here if you need to chat x 

• Posted

Thank you again Jenni

That all sounds very reassuring :-)

My only worry now is that I've had / still have an awful chest infection which I really need to shift or they won't do the surgery grrrrr!   Coughing for England here! 

Already had 5 days of anti b's & it's no better ! 

I'm going to the local walk in clinic tomorrow to see if I can get some more !  I haven't been ill for years it's so annoying that it's happened now!!  

Anyway I'm off to bed to catch up on some zzzz'z 

Thanks again 

Rosie xx 

• Posted

Hi

im 72 hours away from being banded rolleyes totally shaking loads of regrets craving food on pre op but not hungry due to anxiety x hope to god these feelings r normal sad I'll happily share my journey with you step by step if you want x

• Posted

Hi Shelley 

thanks for your reply. 

Dont panic!!  I'm sure it will all be fine :-) 

its going to be a bit uncomfortable for sure but  once you/ we are past the initial stages all will be fine!   Especially when results start to show !!! 

The sugeons perform so many of these procedures and it is very highly regarded by medical people - it's a good move.   It isn't surgically invasive, just a band, so pretty low risk as well.   Just focus on the results and as well as that, the prospect of feeling healthier and more energetic too!  Far more advantages than disadvantages :-))))) 

Good Luck !   And let me know how it goes! 

Rosie x

• Posted

Hi thanks for that smile any reassurance is helpful at moment I know it's the right move and I'm sure my anxieties are normal I can't wait for it to be over and the new me to start x how r you doing? 

Shelley x

• Posted

Good Luck Shelley x the Op is a doddle. one minute i was talking to the anaethatist (sorry about spelling) and the next i woke up in the recovery room - had to ask have i had the op as it was like i had blinked!  The next couple of weeks will fly by and you will be fine xx Remember to keep in touch and let us know how you get on x 
  • Posted

Good luck Rosie and I would say do tell your family and friends at least once you are up and running. I have not had the procedure myself but a friend did and as no one knew, he tried to carry on as normal and so not refusing any food he was given, he then finds it hard to eat sometimes and then he was running off to the loo, to be sick I guess and then he would come back and try again. Several friends said they found his behavior very off putting!  BY his own admission he struggles with bread and potatoes but of course if the purple is to lose weight then they are probably two of the foods you should do without. Once people know they can choose food to suit you or

let you serve yourself etc. it's nothing to be ashamed of. Banding is very common and

nobody will mind. Good luck, my friend is a lot more comfortable now everyone knows   And he is being more selective with his food choices

• Posted

Thanks Chris 

Thanks for the good advice - I expect I will tell a few close friends & family - post op !   I'll see how it goes ! 

• Posted

Hi Rosie

i expect you on your pre op diet now with just a short time to wait for the big day.

i have my op mid Feb too so by the time I go in you will be over the worst with any luck.

i would be grateful if you could keep me updated as to how the op goes as I am absolutely scared stiff and although I know this is the right decision for me I am still shaking in my shoes about the thought of it 

good luck sweetie 

I hope to hear from you soon xx

• Posted

Hi Sian 

thanks for getting in touch. 

Im happy to chat with you :-) 

my op is booked for Saturday 17 Jan in a London Hospital.  I am using a company called Healthy Weight.  I live in Surrey so they are one of the closest to me.  I found it quite difficult to know who to use actually as they all claim to be experts in weight loss surgery! But from what I can see they seem to be well regarded.  They have been fine up until now. 

I am due to start my pre op diet this Sunday, they only requested that I do 5 days - and they sell a range of shakes & soups for use before and just after so ive ordered these to make it easier.  I did a stint on Lighter Life a few years back and I expect they will be pretty similar - about 800-1000 calories a day so about double of the Lighter Life regime so I hope I will manage it ok for five days!!! 

My main worry at the moment is that I've been quite ill over the Christmas break with a bad virus - started as a bad head cold, sneezing and very runny nose but then went to my chest and I'm still not feeling great. Been to Dr's twice and am just hoping it clears before next week as I can't be coughing post op because I think that will hurt my stitches and I'd worry about the band moving from the strain of the coughing fits !  I don't know if that could happen but I expect before it is 'bedded in' to  the scar tissue that it might !!!   And I don't think they would give me an aesthetic anyway if I'm not well.  I will be SO fed up if I have to re book as I'm mentally ready to go for it now and I expect they will be booked up for a while..... 

I'm obviously not looking forward to the surgery but tbh I just want to start losing weight and get control over my eating habits, feel healthy and get back some self confidence in what I look like !  And actually enjoy buying some new clothes of course!!   So all the pluses sort of over ride any worries I have about the operation which I think/ hope is fairly routine these days. 

Anyway, if you'd like to chat further please do send me back a message! 

Just so you know, I'm 51, divorced but have a partner of 2 1/2 yrs and three sons who are 25/24 and 16 tomorrow!!   Only my 16 yr old lives at home with me now! 

Ros xxx 

• Posted

Good Luck with the preo op Rosie - I also went with Healthier Weight and had a flu/ cough etc just before my op.  I did still have the cough the day of the Op but they still went ahead. I was lucky that i didnt have stitches but i was glued back together!  I also did their pre op shakes and soups which i really enjoyed (apart from the butternut squash soup).  I did the pre op for 7 days before and lost half a stone so fingers crossed yours will be the start of your weight loss journey.  oh Im 51 today so it looks like we have a lot in common!  Going for my first fill on Saturday.  Keep us posted on how it goes x 
    • Posted

Hi Jebo! 

Yes a lot in common!!  And Happy Birthday!! Same day as my son too!! 

Who was your surgeon??   Did you find the care good ? And which hospital did you go to ? 

So many questions!! 

Yes I'm hoping that I will be well enough by 17th I am feeling better each day and less coughing now so fingers crossed !! 

IS the glue option down to the surgeon ? 

Good Luck with your first in fill too !  

Rosie x 

• Posted

I had Dr Super at Birmingham. )27 Nov)  I think it is down to the surgeon what they use.  Hospital staff were brilliant and the advice coming home etc and what to do next few days.  They rang after 10 days to see how i was getting on - i booked my fill then as I know the dates get booked up quickly and obviously i had christmas and new year in the way too.

Thank you  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.