Gastric Band in two weeks!!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, 

not long till my operation is planned ... Actually can't wait to get started!  Not looking forward to the pre diet but I know lots of people are only allowed Milk so I shouldn't complain about my 1000 cal a day for one week preparation! 

Ive read quite a bit but would like to chat to others who have been through the operation and can answer a few questions I have about diet post op etc... 

Ill list a few few things here and would be delighted to hear from you if you would like to chat .... 

1).  How painful will it be post op ?  I know about the trapped wind thing but will I be able to drive two days post op?  

2) I run my own business and I work from home,  will I be able to work at my computer and hide the operation from my staff a few days post op?   I don't really want them to know!   

3). I realise that the band doesn't really start to work properly until you have the first infil.  Does this mean I will feel hungry post op?  Do you feel full whilst on the first, liquids only stage which lasts a few weeks I believe ? 

4).  Do you feel exhausted from lack of food?  I will need to work and am a bit worried that I will be so hungry or tired or week that I won't be able to? 

5). I've read bits and bobs about what you can and can't eat when you are post infil and on solids again. 

Can you please give me some examples of meals that you eat and enjoy please?   I love meditaranian type food/ salads/ olives / fish etc .. Just not sure how salad leaves are tolerated?  

Also is porridge ok or not? 

I am am most worried about eating out.  My partner and I eat out quite often, in a fairly healthy way actually,  he is not at all over weight and is pretty health conscious and is being very suportive bt.  I'm more worried about what to do if we go to friends and family for meals when they just hand you a plate of food!   I really don't want to tell everyone .... Any advice / ideas very welcome . 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This discussion has been very helpful and informative. I'm due to have my banding done at the spire Birmingham and am under the care of Mr super via healthier weight. Was going to go to the royal free but I'm just above their bmi limit of 45%. Anyway, I've been in the pre Op diet for two weeks now and am feeling fine...if a little hungry. I'm looking forward to the journey and my new lifestyle. Good luck everyone 😊😊😊
    • Posted

Good Luck Joanna, Mr Super is Lovely.  Comes to see you before you go down for surgery and comes again before you go home after your Op.  He really puts you at ease x 
    • Posted

That's really good to know, thanks so much 😊😊😊😊😊😊
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm sooo glad i found this forum!

I too am having a lapband fitted on 18th January . I am 5 days into the 2pints of milk and 2 yogurts a day and it has been surprisingly ok so far. I just have to keep telling myself that if i dont follow it, then he wont be able to do the op. Thanks so much for the questions and answers as I am feeling super anxious.

Can i ask about pain meds? Do they give you a supply or do i have to go to my local GP? 

Also what should i get for the excess wind?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Nicola Well done so far on your pre op - its well worth doing to help the op easier and a great boost to your start to weight loss.

Dr Super is really good - great bedside manner and really puts you at ease.  I had dissolvable co-codamol to come home with - i did stay overnight because of my diabetes and also had a supository in the morning which works like magic! if they offer anything else to you - take it!  I would ask about any other pain relief you can ask to come home with as I am sure it differs per person. If when you are home and not too far away you can call them and ask for something stronger, else you would then contact your local GP. The glue he uses is really good and even if it does take over two weeks before it comes off - do not pick at it!  I must say you can hardly even see where my scars are they are so tiny!  (banded 27th Nov) I found windeze (chewable ones) and peppermint tea really good.  Read the earlier messages as there are other things people have used which work for them - get them in before you have your op ready.  Actimel and milk after is also good to have in ready.  Remember to walkabout the house then venture a bit more each day as the more you move the more it helps and windmill those arms ( not when walking outside - people may think your not normal!!)  let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi ladies and especially a big hello to the new ladies to the discussion, I hope everyone is doing ok, either on their pre op diets or post op plans we're all on very challenging and exciting journeys smile

today is day 5 for me post op, and oh my what a great day it's been no pains no sickness I've nipped into work to see work mates ate little but not felt hungry and felt like me!

i slept really well waking only once, and felt earlier like I could take on the world,

i am now totally shattered I've given in and had some ibuprofen put my feet up and sat waiting for the coronation street wedding, yep I now feel it was defo the right decision and worth the pain.

hope my contribution to the discussion over the last weeks has been helpful and thanks to everyone for all your help and support you have given me. 

Good luck everyone smile stay in touch

shelley x

• Posted

hi Shelley, 

Sounds like you're doing really well !  Congratulations!!!! 

I bet you are so glad to be past the opertaion and doing so well xx

its great to hear and very encouraging. 

Im still trying very hard to shift a virus ive had since Christmas - my op is booked for a week tomorrow and I have to decide early this next week if I'm going to be well enough to go ahead...  I am getting better but it seems to be a slow process.  It's a cough mainly with a sore throat which comes on in the evenings and I'm pretty tired too and I'm worried about it hurting when I cough afterwards ... Of course they may not even give me the anaesthetic if the cough is too bad but I hope by next week I will know because I'm due to start the 5 day pre op diet on Monday !   I'll be so fed up if I can't go ahead as planned but will re book for soonest next option and just have to be patient I guess!!  :-(((   In the mean time I'm having loads of veggie smoothies in a hope that the vitamin hit will aid recovery! 

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and wish you continued recovery x 

Rosie x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.