Gastric Sleeve in France

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

I'm wanting to have a gastic sleeve in Le Havre in France.  I understand a lady called Tullia is very helpful and the price appears to be great. I have a BMI of 32 and have yo-yoed in weight all of my life - up and down and getting bigger each time.  I need a GP referal which is fine but I wondered if anyone could give me any advice/expereince regarding the lady and the huge French hospital?  It would be great to hear of any stories, good or bad.  Thanks, Davey.  

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey,

im in position similar  to yours (before you're op ) constantly yo-yo dieting but BMI 32/33 .I was hoping to get the sleeve operation however, I have been refused by a clinic in Lithuania as my Bmi is too low. I see you got had to get a GP referral, how easy was this as I've spoken to my GP on the general subject of an operation but they weren't interested. 

I have contacted the Le Havre clinic and Tullia has replied saying I am eligible for the operation. I have  a few questions on this ...on one hand I'm pleased they will operate but as I was refused by another clinic I'm worried about this clinics ethics ( if that makes sense) How did you find the hospital , surgeon etc. As much as I want the operation I don't want to compromise my health in any way. 

Any information about the clinic, surgeon , travel etc would be great .

many Thanks 

• Posted

Lisa - how did you get on. I’m exactly the same position. I’ve spoken to Tullia and I’m now looking for more info. ??

Did you go ahead??? 

• Posted

Hey, 

sorry i wish I could be more help to you  . I’m still looking into having the sleeve done and have a GP appointment next month to see if they have any advice about having the op. I have spoken to Tullia however I’m still scared to go ahead having such a big operation n a foreign country. I’m a bit concerned that one clinic wouldn’t operate without a doctors referral letter where Tullia said it would be fine which makes me a little worried although happy that I can still get the op if I choose to do so. I’d love to hear your experience if you decide to go ahead . 

• Posted

I am seriously considering the France option but like you I’m still really scared that they are selling operations like buying sweets !! Excuse the pun. 

But it’s still a risk that I’m pretty sure of taking.  My bmi is 30/31 and I’ve gone up and down but Tullia assures me that not an issue. 

My sister wants it done too but she is too scared. She was going to be my plus 1 so we would be together when getting it done but she’s not doing it now. 

Just trying to juggle kids and hubby etc to sort a suitable date so that I can have someone with me for support. 

Will let you know when I’m sorted. 

• Posted

Hi there - just wanted to know how you got on. Did you go ahead with surgery ? I too have contacted Tullia in France and I’m still considering the whole thing.

How was it??

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for the message that you’ve left. Yes, I can perfectly understand that you are feeling nervous. Yes, they are legit; I was really worried about that right at the beginning. 

I am heading towards almost 5 stone weight loss, in about 3 pounds time.  I am hardly recognisable ! This has taken almost 3 months  and I am now 12.5 stone 

I am eating a fraction of what I ate, and I really do mean a fraction. 

If you would like to get some more detail, send me a personal message on this site; I’d be glad to answer any questions. 

• Posted

Thanks for getting back. Everytime I have spoke to Tullia I feel she just wants to tell me about deals and offers etc and is just pushing for the business and wants the payment!!

I understand that’s her job but also feel I need full reassurance to my questions. 

I don’t have any health issues at all but I asked “ what If.... after the health checks something turns up and I can’t have the surgery “ - she just said well they would still do the surgery but maybe the band or mini bypass instead of sleeve. 

I want the sleeve but if it’s not possible I would want a refund.

She said they would need to calculate all the costs that had incurred with tests etc and she would refund the difference but you don’t need to worry about not getting it!! 

Still think it’s just “too easy” to be so professional. 

Can I ask did they do the heart trace before the op. 

Also I’ve been told you can’t have alcohol for at least a year is this correct I forgot to ask Tullia that. 

After all your weight loss you must be delighted. Are you glad you did it?? 

Have you fully recovered physically. ??? 

R you able to fly right away. 

Seriously considering going in January but have holiday booked 4 weeks later in Feb and not sure if I should go before or not as it’s a long flight. 

Thank you so much for your help !! 

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry it's take a couple of days.  

Yes, Tullia really is firm with what she's talking about.  It's a little unnerving to be fair.  However, She's a 75 year old Belgium lady who's clearly been in the business for a while, so I think she's keep to push her product. 

It does appear to be a leap of faith to give her so much money, but it fairness, she did come up trumps.

I got the 'if there are problems you can have alternatives' but I wanted the sleeve and that was that.  The mini-bypass is supposed to be good, also, so I'm told?

It's been almost three months now, so my memory is fading as life gets in the way.  

I went to the GP in my home town and told them it's what I wanted; they tried to talk to me about alternatives, but the GP was about 25 years old with a toned body and I wasn't going to let him tell me about weight gain!  So, it's my body and I said I wanted the document to say I was fit enough for the operation.  I didn't want a lecture....  He wrote the letter document right away...

I sent it to France and the consultant approved it.  When I was in France they did various tests, but they were resilience tests, rather than yes or no tests.  If you know you're fine, then it'll be okay I suppose.

The alcohol is not a 'thing'; I had a really small half last night.  It took ages to drink, but I drank it.

I'm pleased with the weight loss, but am eating very little.  Sometimes the food seems to churn in my tummy, so that puts me off.  I am, however, under an NHS consultant now, and they are AMAZING.  No value judgement whatsoever.

I had to fly back three days after the op.  I can't stress enough how much better it is to have someone with you for the whole time.  It's good to have a friend there.  

I would not go for the op if you have a holiday booked a month after; you will not quite be 100%.  I'd take two weeks off work, if you can.

Ask more questions, as I'm happy to help.  

Thanks,

Dave

• Posted

Thanks Dave,

I really appreciate your advice.

I’m going to book it tomorrow and get it done after my Feb holidays.

So my op date will be 28th Feb. 😬

I read previously that you wife arrived on the day of your op. I was hoping to get my husband to do the same. It’s hard to juggle as I have 3 kids. Did they pay for your wife to be picked up from the airport and taken to the hospital or was that an extra cost to you?? 

I believe thd journey is 3 hours by car is that right?

Can’t begin to tell you how useful it’s been to have someone that’s already done it and with the same people etc. 

Thank you. 

• Posted

Hey lynndeelou,

Glad you have made your mind up about the op. I’d love to hear how you get on.

Good luck for February 

• Posted

Hi

I have sent you a personal message regarding some further detail. Look in the envelope icon on your Home page account details 

Dave 

• Posted

Hi, I’m just curious whether you had your operation?

I was scheduled to have my op in France on 5th March but it has been postponed due to the weather conditions.

I was also told that Dr B was on holiday skiing last week (when you were due to have your operation) .... I find it all very bizarre to be honest as the weather in France is due to be fine next week.

• Posted

Hey,

sorry I decided not to go ahead. I’d be interested on how you get as it’s still something I’m considering . Hope all goes well with op and beyond 

• Posted

Hello Lisa and C182120 and Lynndeelou,

It’s great to hear where people are at, on their journey.  If it is of any help, I am still post op by about 5 month, I think.  I am stabilising at about 11 stone 3.  I was 17 stone 3, so that in and around 6 stone overall.  

I have a BMI of about 20.  I still look very different.  People still talk to about it, and as I’m keen not to talk about it, people think there’s something wrong with me!  So, they try not to too much talk about it, in case!

cL182120 - Good to hear you’re having the op, soon.  Sorry to hear it’s been postponed!  Bad luck.  It’ll be worth it, I promise.  

One negative issue I’ve found is that my hair has been falling out.  This is, apparently, common for this situation, and will grow back.  I’ve been taking hair tablets from Boots for many years so I’m really sensitive to this subject.  However, it’s little wonder this is happening!  My dr said it’s akin to the effects of anorexia, without the psychological issues that surround that very sad condition.  

Please write if you need more info or reassurance.  PM if that helps.  I’m sure you’ll not regret it.  

Dave

• Posted

Hello everyone in the thread,

I hope things are going well for you all.  

I wanted to update you to say that my weight is still coming off, but much more slowly.  When I last wrote I said I was 11 st 3.  I’m now about 10 st 10.  I’m still not eating loads, but I can eat more ‘stuff’.  I can get a hurting tummy if I eat too much and will fall off to sleep as I have a sugar dump.  This keeps me in check as I dare not eat too much.

My hair is still falling out, not as much as before, but still coming out.  It’s typical, but I find I cannot eat enough Protien.  

I do recommend the French Surgery.  It’s a whole lot cheaper and is life changing.  I look TOTALLY different.

Please be in touch if you have any further questions

Thanks,

Dave. 

• Posted

Hi, did your operation go ahead? Would you email me directly at if you are having any issues.. I may be in the same boat...

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hello,

Yes, if you read the thread above your comment, you will get all of the information regarding my particular setting.   Very little has changed, other than my hair does not seem to be falling out as much.  Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.