Gastrisis - Heartburn type symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've had Gastrisis now for almost 2 months and it's slowly going, it did go completely then a flare up fetched it back (my own fault - eating wrong foods) what I wanted to know is when I have it its stomach cramps and burning which I suffer with. It does seem to be going as the cramps have almost fully gone (maybe 5 mins in a morning), but the burning is still their. Nowhere near as bad, but I've found when I'm hungry it starts burning, then after Iv eaten it might burn then too. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this type of symptom? Feels like heartburn in stomach and chest, I've had all my chest checked, heart and had an upper GI so I know nothings wrong with my chest but it's aggravating me a bit now. Still waiting for biopsy results from upper GI so my GP doesn't actually know what bug (if any) has caused it yet X

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you take anti acid medication, which could really help, when mine was like yours then I got omaprozole and gaviscon which helped.
    • Posted

I take omeprazole and gaviscon, their the only things that have got it as good as it is, before them it was horrendous. Im guessing it just takes time to fully clear up and it's just the burning that's lingering a bit. I've noticed it's worse when I sit down too than stand up. It's strange.

Also trisha hope you don't mind me asking, have you noticed any difference with your Gastrisis during your monthly cycle? I've found this time when I was due on a period it flared up. Which could just be coincidental, I'm not sure if it actually can be linked.

X

• Posted

Can't comment on that because I've just hit the menopause, I'll tell you one thing that helped me was if I raised my upper half when in bed and that helped a bit.ive now been put on emaprozole which is stronger and that helps too x hope that helps a bit
    • Posted

Ahhh right, I'll try that, do you mean extra pillows? Also I've read sleeping on left side is better - have you noticed any difference with it? I think it's an awkward illness because the stomachs delicate, and does take a while to heal. Just really getting on my nerves now lol.

also food wise my doctors told me to stick to a low fat diet for the time being until we know what's going on... Which I have been doing but it's awfully boring, wondering if you have any food suggestions (sorry for hounding you with questions)

• Posted

Don't be silly you ask anything, I know how horrible it is, I sleep on my left so maybe that does help without me knowing it. I stay away from fried food, spicy food and chocolate, which I love but noticed it made it worse. Beetroot, and salad are a no no also, my diet is so boring, rather that than that awful gastric heartburn problems x
    • Posted

Hey Trisha87499, you stay away from salad?? Does it affect you? That's about all I eat, but that may be why I'm still suffering.
  • Posted

Oh and another thing eating small amounts but more regular also helps x
    • Posted

I do stick to small amounts frequently, I wasn't aware of the salad and Iv had lettuce and tomato today, hopefully I'll be ok with it though as it wasn't much. I'll try sleeping on the left, willing to try most things as it is. I don't like spicy food or beetroot anyway and can live without chocolate, I'm missing crisps though lol. And nuts, and why were on the subject I could murder a scotch egg too haha. Struggling with the diet but in the long run it will do me good. X
    • Posted

My treat is a strawberry milkshake, however you will find its all different foods for different people. I kept a food diary and then noticed if any reactions to what I ate. I am like you, try anything, good luck but remember we are all here for you anytime and I mean that xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks so much for that Trisha, also I never thought of a strawberry milkshake, I'm fine with both strawberrys and milk so I'll give that a go soon. Cheered me right up haha x
  • Posted

This may sound counter-intuitive, but I had a natrulist tell me that capsaicin may help reduce stomach pain.  He instructed me to take a 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper mixed in water before a meal.  Here is how he explained it.  Capsaicin causes the stomach to secrete mucos to protect the lining of the stomach.  By taking the pepper before you eat, it causes the stomach to secrete mucos prior to acid production.  Anyway, it seemed to help a little, but then I finally went to a doctor, and found that I did not have an Ulcer (or gastrisis), and most of my indesgetsion was actually linked to stress.

So, you can try the Cayenne pepper, but I would also highly recommend stress reducing techniques.  This is sooo much easier said than done, especially when dealing with pain.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I should have checked for spelling errors!  Wow, terrible!
    • Posted

I totally agree, it can all be down to stress, sometimes you don't even realise that you are stressed.
    • Posted

I mentioned this to my GP when I last saw him and he strongly advised me against it, I'm not supposed to have anything spicy but thanks for the advice anyway smile
    • Posted

Hi Laura I too have Gastritis and suffering with sore throat and acid ...Your thread is really interesting as I have most of the symptoms you mention .I've been on Omaprazole for 3 months 20mg ... I'm up and down and every day is different . Definitely. Worse in the evening and I feel so uncomfortable .I'm sure my stomach gets bigger during the day bloated and sore . I can't wear a normal bra after midday ! and elasticated joggers !! .I was convinced I was allergic to Omaprazole and last week went down to 10mg ... big mistake as acid came back with a vengeance and it's taken 3 days to get back ..I eat very small meals very slowly . Porridge in the morning with berries .I take manuka honey 20+ and aloe Vera juice .At 10.30 banana lunch at 12.30 rice cakes with cream cheese and smoked salmon or avocado .3pm bun or cake with tea ...I drink yogi tea from healthfood shop .. called throat ease or ginger tea .supper at 6 or 7pm at latest usually scrambled egg or salmon and potatoes and green beans broccoli . I also have back ache all over by the end of the day ..but it's usually on the left hand side lower back and sometimes I feel it gurgling or bubbling ..really weird feeling ..I'm going to see Prof Invar Bjarnsson next week he is a world renowned gastroenterologist. .so should have some answers and reassurance . Try Yoga and mindfulness techniques for stress . Finding Peace in a hectic world by Mark Williams with his C D is excellent .. highly recommend this . He is on you tube but get the book . ..good luck with getting better .. very soon
    • Posted

Wow, I just asked another thread if the shoulder and neck pain I'm having could be connected to my acid reflux/hernia issues. It feels like I've had a good 2hrs workout. Yesterday it was my abs, today it's my right shoulder and the middle of my back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.