Gastritis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone, I'm 34 and I'd like to get as much help as I can. I'd just to like to know from this community's personal experiences whether or not my doctor is correct in the diagnosis of gastritis or If I sholud be concerned, because my anxiety won't let me believe I have anything other than stomach cancer. I've been suffering with gastritis/duodenitis type symptoms for a little over 3 months now. I'd say my lifestyle was high risk for gastritis - poor eating habits/takeaways twice a week, drinking alcohol 4/5 times a week, terrible anxiety/ocd and stress, though that's now behind me. The symptoms I've been experiencing seem terrible, but I've been to my family doctor probably 5 times throughout the three months, as well as once to the AE .The Doctor said that he thinks its gastritis brought on by a reaction to medication so he put me on lansoprazole but it seemed to give me night sweats and cold like symptoms, so I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. i suffer from burning from my stomach mainly left side but all over, sometimes down to my navel. I have yet to vomit as a result of this. There is not much pain, just the burning mainly after eating. Drinking water seems to help. These symptoms are combined with gas, and either constipation or very frequent bowel movements. I am 34 years old for reference with no history of stomach cancer in the family. Any input/advice/reassurance would be greatly appreciated as the symptoms are having a horrible effect on my mental health. Thanks for reading and hope to hear back from someone soon! smile

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If your doctor diagnosed gastritis, I would accept this because he is the expert. If your doctor thought you had anything more serious, he would have told you and ordered urgent tests. He has not done this, so hopefully this will reassure you. We cannot diagnose on this site because we are not doctors. An endoscopy would show gastritis if you have it. I would go back to your doctor and ask for an endoscopy to ease your worries. Don't listen to your anxiety which can make you believe anything. Your symptoms sound like gastritis but your alternating bowel habits also sound like IBS which can also cause stomach burning, gas and pain after eating. Gastritis can also cause diarrhoea too.

Try a food diary to find the foods that could be causing you trouble and avoid anything fatty, rich or spicy. Stick to bland , home cooked meals and eat little but often. Milk is also a very good, natural antacid which coats the stomach lining. Since the PPI disagreed with you, milk may be a good alternative if you can tolerate it. My grandad who was a GP, cured his stomach ulcer with milk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.