Gastritis, acid reflux and hot flashes is it all related?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi there, I need help and advices. I'm 50 and it all started in March, I was super nervous about this pandemic and one day I felt my body burning for hours and hours like somebody poured gasoline on me followed by chills and body pain. I got so scared when it first started that I thought that I got the virus, I went to the hospital and since there was no fever they didn't test me for covid 19. I need to say that I have had hot flashes in the last 2 years but they never really bothered me and never like in March. Went to see My obgyn. and she told me I'm perimenop. and prescribed remifemin which took a while to help but it only helps me a 70 % I still have not so mild hot flashes.

And right there, right after the severe hot flashes episode my stomach problems started: severe abdominal pain, gas, bloating, nausea, fullness feeling, loss of appetite and I have also lost 20 lbs and I keep loosing weight, I look very bony. To relieve the pain I started blending my meals and I still do it to this day. The GI doctor ordered an endoscopy, I have gastritis acid reflux and hiatal hernia, he prescribed omeprazole 40 mg since May and it's doing anything, I feel my symptoms are getting worse, I'm in so much pain I'm eating 5 small cups of blended meals a day, I'm in constant pain and bloating, gassy, nausea and it gets worse a little before, during and after my period. I've been telling my GI doctor that I feel worse and all he says is "keep taking the medicine". now since last week I feel more acid in my mouth than before and my throat started burning since 3 days ago especially when I have my meals. On top of that I feel really anxious. I really don't know what to do or think, I feel so alone and very sick. is this part of perimenopause? what should I do? who I need to see? is hormone replacement therapy safe and do they make the gastritis go away? I don't know what to do please help, I don't wanna die.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Going through it for the 2nd time myself.

First battle with it lasted a whole year simply because I did not know what was wrong and what to do.

I felt alone, crazy, and constantly feeling like death was right around the corner. Well unfortunately I wasn't going to escape this turmoil that easily. It turned out to be SIBO and H. Pylori infection. Fun stuff. I lost 75lbs the first time before finding out what was wrong.

First I made an extreme diet change to home cooked vegan food since my body was badly rejecting bread, sugar, and meat.

After a few very long months I was able to eat full meals and felt ok but I was having a hard time gaining weight.

I discovered herbal antibiotics and went on them for a month. Oil of Oregano, Berberine, Allicin, and Neem. Throughout that month I also switched one meal for an Elemental diet smoothie. SIBO went away and I was finally able to eat bread, cheese, tomato sauce, meat, you name it.

Fast forward to now; I over indulged over the past few months and the symptoms have returned.

I was eating pizza, pasta and burgers heavily. I felt alive and nothing was going to stop me.

Or so I thought.

Now here I am feeling crummy all over again. At least now I have ease of mind knowing I can beat this. It is an uphill battle. Godspeed folks. Hope this story helps at least one of you.

Go on Youtube and look up SIBO and h pylori. Other people's story might give you some hope and point you in the right direction to recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.