Gastritis, can't gain weight

Posted , 7 users are following.

Please help me gain weight. I have been on a bland, high fiber diet for the last 3 years. I had gastritis episode a few weeks ago lost 5 lbs. and can't gain weight. Doesn't matter whether I cheat or not. Just not gaining. Really need some tips. Dr. says that if I fall below 150lbs. I will be in trouble. Feel like I am already there. I have gastritis and gerd.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi, what kind of food you mainly eat in a daily basis? do you eat 3x a day? what are the test you've had already?

• Posted

I eat 6 times a day Jeff. I eat chicken more than anything else. Also, can have mott's unsweetened blueberry applesauce. I have had multiple upper and lower gi's. Lowers suck, I have started to bleed afterwards due to all the salt in the mag. citrate.

I don't make the meals for the weekend. I just eat whatever is leftover from making the meals for the work week. Sometimes, I just eat 3 or 4 meals on the weekends. I know I should eat, eat, eat, so that is what I am doing now.

• Posted

my diet is mainly chicken too. chicken or fish no fried stuff for me. I use to eat almost anything out there before. I lost a lot of weight since i adjusted my diet and it's been a year now. I don't go to the gym i walk a few times a week and my daily push ups and that's a about it. I was diagnosed of gallstones almost 2yrs ago that's why i cut out a lot from my diet. i get indigestion kind of pain upper abdomen and i don't know if that is from my gallstones. I myself trying my best to gain some weight back..

• Posted

As the old saying goes "Aint no fat people in the Cancer Ward" comes to mind. Jeff. Do you also suffer from gastritis? or is it just the gallstones?

• Posted

Hi Esther 2016

If fibre is all you eat then i suggest you start to eat other foods. A hi fibre diet would make you prone to using your bowels frequently possibly losing nutrition. Start eating a variety of fruit, veg, chicken, fish the occasional pudding or dessert.. Try eating gluten free.. There are a variety of gluten free and wheat foods in popular supermarkets. ....

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I am sick of eating fiber, fiber, fiber. It fills you up and then you don't want to eat again for hours afterwards. Fruit for me is bananas, apples and canned skinless peaches or bartlett pears. That is it. I am finding certain gluten makes me sick too. I eat canned, no salt, sardines in water, 5 days a week. I eat hard boiled eggs in the morning, with a banana and another banana at work. I spend one day on the weekend (the better part of the day) making all my meals for the week. I so hate cooking now for this very reason 😦. When I cheat, I eat vanilla pizzelles. I love them and usually can't stop at 2. Sometimes I make my own salt free crackers. I am going to buy a vitamix soon so that I can make my own nut butter.

I want you all to know how grateful I am for your input. You, Mary, Pippa, and Jason, Jeff. I feel so much better talking to people in the same boat as myself. People who know exactly what I am talking about.

• Posted

Hi Esther2016

Just happy to help..try a different healthy food regime and see how you get on.....keep us posted...

• Posted

I will Mary and Many Thanks in Advance to all who responded. I have yet another question for the group LOL.

Do any of you take probiotics? If so, which brand(s) do you use? How many billions of cfu's do you take?

• Posted

Hi Esther2016

Yes i take probiotics. Pic attached. I find these very good they have added fibre....image

• Posted

Speak to a dietician about your weight and see if you can get any advice there. Try not to stress about your health because anxiety can cause weight loss. Try distraction techniques to help to take your mind off your symptoms. Light exercise such as walking and doing things you enjoy can help.

• Posted

Many Thanks for your response pippa! I saw a dietician when I was first diagnosed. She said I could have 1/4 cup blueberries. I was afraid and should have listened to my inner voice. I was violently sick for 3 days after that. I can actually have 6 blueberries with the steel cut oats in the morning now. You are right about the anxiety, I have had more of that than anything else and am trying to learn new ways to calm down. Many thanks for your input. It is truly appreciated!

• Posted

Thanks Pippa. I wonder what you are all suffering from too. I hope that I will be able to offer some advice in return!

• Posted

No, I have IBS and GERD. The IBS is in remission and I control my reflux with milk and antacids. My anxiety caused both these conditions but I find that if I avoid stress and do things I enjoy, that helps me a lot.

• Posted

I didn't realize how much my anxiety would make my medical issues much worse. But I am starting to find that out.

• Posted

The IBS is in remission. I didn't think it was like cancer? Or has it just calmed down a bit?

• Posted

IBS never really goes away but it can go away for while. That's what I mean by remission. Thank goodness it's not like cancer!

• Posted

The gut brain axis is very strong and this why anxiety makes gut conditions worse.

• Posted

I am just learning that my gut has a brain. In fact, I learned that yesterday, while researching.

On a better note, I think I gained a lb. YAY!

• Posted

My Gastritis will never go away either. I am very happy that you don't have cancer Pippa.

I do have an odd question. Is there any way you can see all the posts you have made on this site? I can't seem to find out how to do this or even if I can do this?

• Posted

You could go into your own page where it will list all the posts you have made.

• Posted

I wouldn't worry about your weight because it may be you have a fast metabolism. I have a fast metabolism and stay at the same weight but I don't worry about it. Forget about your weight and concentrate on things you enjoy. My doctor tells me that I am underweight but I don't listen to this because my mum was also very slim when she was young. It is a family trait on her side. My brother is the same and my dad was also very slim when he was younger.

• Posted

Honestly pippa, I wish I was related to you! 😃. You are so kind and understanding!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.