Gastritis diagnosed but PPI's not working

Posted , 60 users are following.

Just wondered if anyone else who's been diagnosed with mild gastritis is having problems with PPI's not helping? Had upper endoscopy 2 weeks ago and been taking PPI's since then, but if anything feels like its getting worse! 

Symptoms originally started 5 months ago and now the dull, burning ache is just constant and also along with constant back ache it's really getting me down. Only relief I get is going to bed and lying down. Does anyone else have this? I'm worried its something more sinister.

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi after years of acid problems i took Lansoprazole which stopped acid regurgation instantly. It is not a magic cure though as you need to alter your diet as well. Have you tried the acid watchers diet ? There are a few books which help you avoid trigger foods. I was doing quite well until recently when i started eating strawberries and cream which i blame for massive flare up of symptoms. Also maybe you need to mention to your doctor that the ppi is not working as you may need to change to a different one. I get awful burning in my stomach which goes into my back, also bloating and feeling like i have a blockage especially after eating. Good luck, its a horrible condition.

• Edited

check out these study results from nih: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4462721/

• Edited

Has anyone suffered from a mild nausea feeling with Gastritis. I started feeling nauseous about four months ago and thought at first it was due to eating and drinking more while on holiday. When I take an Omeprazole it seems to ease off so I'm thinking it may be due to some sort of inflammation in my stomach. Gp doesn't seem interested in sending me for any tests but its really starting to stress me out.

• Posted

i haven't had nauseous feelings. somebody told me an ultrasound might see something wrong as well as an endoscopy.

• Posted

i had a little nausea when i had gastritis. It wasnt an everyday symptom for me but it was there on occasion. Thankfully that went away when my gastritis disappeared

• Posted

Dear Mazzy

Yes when i had gastitis I felt nauseous and had lack of appetite, it is due to the inflammation, my gastitis took time to clear, it was one of my worse menopause symptoms!

• Posted

hi Pinkcatfairy

I am also menopausal but I didn't realise that Gastritis was one of the symptoms! How did you cure it please?

• Posted

Hello Mazzy

I had to cut out fatty foods, caffeine and alcohol and was put on ppi medication, it took about three months or more to totally clear up, i gradually weaned myself off the ppi medication as i didnt want to take them long term

• Posted

Hi Pinkcatfairy, you say that your gastritis took 3 months + to clear up.

I had nausea and a sore stomach intermittently for months, until 7 weeks ago when it became constant and severe. A gastroscopy diagnosed stomach-wide, non-erosive gastritis (H.Pylori-negative) and my PPI dose was doubled. A couple of weeks later I was also prescribed an H2 blocker (Ranitidine) alongside the PPI.

Unfortunately there has been no improvement in the 6 weeks since the gastroscopy. I wondered if your gastritis improved gradually and evenly over the 3 months?

Many thanks

• Posted

Dear thomas 613

The gastitis gradually cleared, it didnt happen all at once, it was gradual until I could finally say it had gone!

• Posted

Did any of you have an overactive digestive system? I have lots of noise and activity down there but it doesn't result in much gas. Just feels like something is upset down there and not processing properly.

• Posted

You got gastritis as a result of menopause? I'm 43 and just am now dealing with a bout of gastritis. I've not had an endoscopy, but I have had the H. Pylori test and an abdominal ultrasound. All were negative. My bout with gastritis started the day I started my period. That, in addition to NSAIDS for a few days and major stress. Anyway, I've been taking PPI's for a week now and they have not done much for me. Still pretty nauseous after eating with constant silent reflux. I can't seem to shake it unless I also take Mylanta. I had wondered if this condition might be one of the many perks of Perimenopause? Additionally, how long will this gastritis last? How long does it take the stomach lining to heal? Not sure why the PPI's (specifically Omeprazole 40 mg delayed release) are not working?

Thanks,

Molly

• Posted

Yes, I had that. Lots of noise in my gut. Started the PPI's and the noises have calmed down some. However, still not feeling well. Only been a week since I started the PPI's. The noise was so loud that it freaked me out. Wasn't sure what was up?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.