Gastritis diagnosed but PPI's not working

Posted , 60 users are following.

Just wondered if anyone else who's been diagnosed with mild gastritis is having problems with PPI's not helping? Had upper endoscopy 2 weeks ago and been taking PPI's since then, but if anything feels like its getting worse! 

Symptoms originally started 5 months ago and now the dull, burning ache is just constant and also along with constant back ache it's really getting me down. Only relief I get is going to bed and lying down. Does anyone else have this? I'm worried its something more sinister.

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been dealing with that for many years. Proton pump inhibitors made it so much worse. Nauseated for weeks from them. Natural Dr. recommended fresh lemon juice in water with stevia. It worked. Traditional American medicine does not know how to deal with this.

• Posted

Hi

Just to ask have your symptoms improved? I have exactly the same as you. I am taking Omeprazole but they don't seem to be working.

• Edited

Just to let you all know. I had an Ultrasound and a blood test a few weeks ago, (before the world went crazy) and I tested positive for Celiac disease. Been on the diet for 4 weeks now, and though not completely without symptoms, they have improved. I would have never guessed.

Anyway, have to take another blood test mid may to confirm and then we will see for sure, but just wanted to thank everyone who responded and give an update. Jim

• Posted

I suffered from painful Gastritis for years. Over time I knew roughly what foods to avoid but without fully understanding cause and effect etc. I just about got by but was mostly miserable with the discomfort. I had an endoscope test and was diagnosed then prescribed Omeprazole. Omeprazole helped marginally but it didn't resolve the Gastritis. I realised the only resolution was going to be by dietary changes. Finally I resolved it by eating oats most mornings, and by replacing normal milk with oat milk. Now I eat oats/porridge twice a week in the morning but I have oat milk every day in muesli and cereal etc. After years of pain, the recovery was astonishing and quick, within 2 weeks. I need to use the oat milk brands without added vegetable oil, so oats, water and pinch of salt only. There are a couple of brands on the market you can use from the supermarket. I also eliminated normal tea but I have an occasional white tea in moderation which is less acidic, milder and can be drunk alone or with added oat milk. This is my experience, hope it is of use to fellow sufferers.

• Posted

Has anyone had bad reactions to PPI's? I have had issues with every drug all the way down to tums. I can no longer take them for GERD. I believe I definitely have gastritis and possible ulcer but can't take meds anymore. Very fearful about future without meds. Reactions are very severe and scary though. I stick can stick to strict diet for aboyt a week and crash. Its rediculous but food just makes me feel good. Otherwise I eat very bland bland small meals. Anyways wondered if anyone heard of alternatives to meds and if I can heal at this point. Waiting for next scope.

• Posted

after 7 months on PPI my body said no more! brain fog and the worst being increasing stomach pains sharp and cramping! i went off the PPI and replaced it with pepcid which is much milder. had to deal with increased acid for a few days but luckily it went away for the most part. Also PPIs can cause a different gastritis and i believe that may be what hapoened to me( will find out soon through endoscopy). don't believe people and doctors who dismiss your experience in PPIs; they will never admit they can cause problems or make things worse and they are WRONG.

• Posted

Unfortunately I tried Pepcid as well. I believe I had brain fog too. My doctors kinda ignored symptoms about meds for a little bit but finally recognized it. Now on nothing at all. Thank you for sharing!

• Posted

I want to thank everyone for posting their experiences. it gives me some piece of mind. I have been dealing with gastritis for 5 months now. For me regrettably it's probably all self induced. I lost my job due to covid and became a stay at home dad around 03/2020. A hobby I love greatly was brewing beer and I found myself drinking every evening, not alot, 2 craft beers in the evening but it was still every day. Late 09/2020 I noticed my stomach making alot of gurggling noises, no discomfort, just noisy. A few weeks later I started getting a pain just below my sternum, shortly after I experienced a warm gnawing in my stomach, it would come and go. By late November my symptoms were accompanied by bouts of nausea, no vomiting just a sick feeling. I finally got into the doctor and explained my symptoms. He said it sounded like an ulcer so put me on 4 weeks of ppi. I did the 4 weeks but didn't see any real improvement so another 90 days of PPI were prescribed. The pain below my sternum is gone, the burning has been reduced but still present but I still feel off throughout the day. I had cut back on my drinking but I noticed if I did drink beer, almost like clockwork, 2 days later my symptoms would intensify for a day or so. I am scheduled for an EGD in about 4 weeks. I could have done it sooner but I have given up drinking completely and wanted to see if that is the cause of all my angst. I just want to get back to normal. If an ailment last more than 2 weeks with me, I get very concerned and my mind always goes to the worst case scenario. I just want to stop worrying, my family needs me. Thanks for listening.

• Posted

I am in similar boat. I have struggled with stomach issues- gastritis/gerd fir a few years now. Have been on heavy doses for some time. I started out stress drinking but quit that some time ago but kinda switched to food. Since all that I have had severve reactions to all acid reducing meds. My stomach is very unwell! Burning, aching, and nausea. I have great difficuty not going to food. I just hate the gerd diet as well. PPIs were previously saving me when I ate what I shouldn't but now I cannot take them. I have an EGD in two weeks but what can be done if I cannot take meds. I am convinced I will be dying from this and leaving my family behind which of course makes stomach worse.

• Posted

i have it and have had it for years. It has gotten worse and I take the max dose of dexilant plus pepcid before bed. i just had scopes that saw other things that look suspicious for EoE and barrett's esophagus, but all my biopsies were normal. I am miserable. I have had it at least five years, so its a chronic issue. I wish doctors would weigh in here on what would be helpful.

• Posted

I appreciate this is an old thread but I have just come across it and it was so reassuring to read your stories and advice given.

My story.... my symptoms started after regrettably having too much alcohol one night. A couple of days after, I had what I can only describe as a swollen feeling on my upper left side. More discomfort than constant pain. GP didn't know what it could be and it was my suggestion that it could be acute gastritis. I was given Omeprazole for 4 weeks. It didn't help. The swelling (and occasional pain) never went so I then had a CT, ultrasound, x-ray, ECG and numerous blood tests over 6 months - all came back clear. Pancreas and liver fine. 7 months later, I had an endoscopy which confirmed I had mild gastritis but the gastro consultant I was referred to thinks it is something called 'gut brain axis' and the pain signals from my stomach to my brain are 'exaggerated'. He doesn't think it's the gastritis that is causing the pain.

The endoscopist prescribed 40mg pantoprazole and the gastro consultant prescribed amitriptyline.

The only thing that helps is cutting out alcohol. I have done that a couple of times and it does get better. I just find it so odd that alcohol (literally one glass of wine) can bring it all back and no other food or drink (e.g. coffee) has any impact at all and I have no 'typical' gastritis symptoms.

Of course, the obvious thing is to stop alcohol but I'm desperate to find out what it actually is and have a future knowing I can have one drink (in total moderation) without it all flaring up. I've summarised it all here but its been a stressful time over 15 months. Does anybody else have this weird symptom after alcohol use? I finally started 40mg pantoprazole 2 weeks ago and feel worse - (stabbing pains on my side/back, indigestion, heartburn) so am tempted to stop them but feel I'll regret not completing the 4 week course and eliminating the possibility of this being gastritis. I just feel so lost and confused by it all and the GP said he's flummoxed by it all!

• Posted

I've just created a very similar discussion thread. My first ever stomach 'flare up' was August last year. Out the blue and excruciating pain. Drs diagnosed me at first with acid reflux (even though i went into hospital with none of those symptoms!) and said 'gastritis'. Another DR called me the following day and said the symptoms actually sounded more like stomach ulcer or my stomach lining was inflamed because I had just come off taking antibiotics for 8 weeks.

I havnt felt 'right' since and my appetite is pretty much non existent now. However, I've just had a recent flare up again and since this any foods or drinks kinda just flare it up.

Im keeping a food diary now to see what it is exactly (but tbh I just find thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack).

Ive been told by doctors before to avoid caffeine, alcohol, citris type foods (a whole list of foods) because I suffer with reoccurring UTIs so they already think thats diet related.

Basically what I'm getting at is that this could very likely be that your stomach lining also got inflamed from that first 'attack' from the alcohol. Now every time you drink wine maybe your body doesn't agree with wine anymore.... almost its like its recognising that this is what harmed you before... I dont know because im also scratching my head with my stuff going on, but the body does work in mysterious ways. Maybe try drinking a different alcoholic drink (wine can be quite acidic/ strong). I know some people only like wine etc but that might be a good way to see if its 'alcohol' or just wine.

Sorry I know it doesnt answer your question completely and I genuinely dont know if we will ever get the answers we want from this but it just seems like weve got unlucky, our body had a flare up and it may never leave us shrugs

But... KEEP PESTERING YOUR DOCTOR! You know your body more than anyone else. Even if bloods, xrays, ultrasounds, samples keep coming back clear dont give up because I think to DRs, gastritis wont kill us and isnt the worst of their problems so just shrug themselves, give meds and move onto the next patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.