Gastritis right side/flank pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi,

does anyone have only right side pain with gastritis?i seem to be having this. Have been checked for gallbladder and liver but all is well, except for the gastritis. This is more like a stretching/ pulling and kind of near the flank. It's not severe but it's been there a few months now, since the gastritis started. Also been checked for kidneys, reproductive organs etc..all ok..doc said it is due to gastritis and since all tests are clear I shouldn't worry. Through out my gastritis, never had pain on the left side weirdly. Always right side.

Anyone else get this?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey

I used to have pain on the right side aswel can still feel it slightly for a second like once a day. Didnt have gastritis but acid reflux and read it can be the acid reflux. Mine was just the ribs they still sore if I poke them. How are you doing now after the cabbage juice. Did your acid reflux flare up again or has it been quiet since then? X

• Posted

thanks Maryam smile

cabbage juice helped a lot truly. I used to have sometimes pain under robs but all that is gone now. The only pain I have now is right side flank pain. Acid reflux is under control for now (except for bit of poet nasal drip) thankfully. Are you still continuing candida diet?

• Posted

Hi maryam324,

Hope you're feeling better. I have the same slight discomfort on the right side of my rib cage when I poke it. I noticed it happened after I had sinusitis or if I have had too much acid in take from food and beverage.

• Posted

SOUNDS LIKE YOU COULD HAVE a sliding hiatus hernia sirivinay.

Try this...and its going to sound wierd!! Drink loads of water at least two beer glass sized until your stomach is really full then jump off the 2nd step of your staircase....with luck this will resolve it...you may find that gravity pushes and pulls any extrusion of the neck of your stomach through the diphragm.

THEN you need to work on the causative factors. So primarily this is low stomach acid most often and counter intuitively. If you feel acidity in your oesophagus it because the small intestine is complaining to the stomach that there is insufficient acidity coming through and is a warning to stop bacteria and viruses getting  beyond the stomach. The stomach in turn rejects the food as it doesn't have the acidity to deal with it effectively and needs helps. The remedy (until you address causation) is to give the stomach some extra acidity until you feel the warmth in the stomach area which is the result you're looking for so you can then reduce the amount of ACV you take but you want to consider taking digestive enzymes,,,betaine with pepsin HCL is great apparently. Til you can rebuild your probiotics and get the digestive system supported x

hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi lizziewizzie, Thanks. I have been scoped..do not have a hernia..am pretty sure about that..in fact before it was confirmed through the scope I used to do the jumping thing everyday, hoping it would help. Also, tried everything digestive enzymes, bethaine HCL , ACV before I went to regular doctors. All of them have been irritating to my stomach and my gastritis feels worse when I take them. What helps for me is low acid diet (I can eat my normal Indian food with moderate spices, lots of yoghurt, bananas and vegetable juices). I don't have pain or acidity in esophagus. Even if I gave any bit of reflux it's only in the throat ( which is pretty much under control now). The pain on the side almost on the flank. 
    • Posted

I don't have low stomach acid, coz PPI helped me lot. If I had it, PPI might have made me feel worse. But they actually helped me heal now. 
    • Posted

ppi's soothe the gastritis...but when that inflammation passes and you recover your strong stomach wall...its really important to try to re-build high levels of stomach acid as this low pH will protect from overgrowth of h pylori in future
  • Posted

the stomach is on the right side...mostly!

The cabbage juice suggestion is brilliant ..especially fermented cabbage and its juice. Fermentation is the next thing after probiotics in fashion!!

• Posted

So if the stomach is to the right, the. It's the gastritis pain hopefully smile 

thanks! Have you tried the cabbage juice? It really helped me a lot, sad I didn't continue it completely!  I take only yoghurt for my probiotics. Haven't tried fermented cabbage, maybe will do after a few dayssmile

• Posted

silly me...i meant the outlet from the stomach into the duodenum (via the pyloric sphincter) is towards the right. the stomach is mostly to the left beneath the liver....i'm misleading you.

so you may have some inflammation going on there too..i the duodenum..but you do seem to be onto it. well done you! how are you feeling now?

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie, I'm feeling better most of the days. Slowly weaning off of PPI's. But I do need to get a test done to see if hpylori is gone. Will go in the first week of May for that. But mild reflux and gastritis are still there. It's not debilitating or stopping me from my day to day life but it's still annoying. So just managing that (as my husband says, make friends with it or ignore it) and getting along 😃
  • Posted

hi again

my understanding is that ppi's have a role in relieving the gastritis that you experienced perhaps due to h pylori...but that h py got a grip in the first instance due to low stomach acid not constraining h pylori naturally existent in the stomach...and so h py got a hold and dominated the stomach enviroment ...which can lead to ulceration.

mai i suggest really soothing and smoothing remedies such as slippery elm...just make into a gruel...to line the stomach to allow the lining to heal from pre-ulceration that you may have...treating the h pylori....and THEN when all symptoms resolve resuming the betaine....

• Posted

oh i'm sosorry i can't help due to moderation...trying to encourage you...it may have been the start of an ulcer
    • Posted

Thanks Lizzie smile I haven't tried the slippery elm gruel, only the capsules which I didn't find very effective. I will try the gruel and see. As per the endoscopy, I don't have an ulcer, just gastritis. I just realized it is pain due to gastritis, but it comes on the right side for me when I eat something that I shouldn't. It starts burning right away so I know it's something to do with the food!
  • Posted

this is were ppi 's help
    • Posted

but only for a short while....really important not to get hooked ok?
    • Posted

a gruel made from slippery elm is very soothing
    • Posted

am so angry that the name of a natural herb is being moderated out....this is the alt med section
    • Posted

golden seal is also very helpful
    • Posted

the first herb i mentioned is soothing... golden seal helps with the h pylori infection
    • Posted

but yes healing any ulcer or the start of an ulcer is vital....then rebuilding adequate stomach acid to prevent over-growth of h pylori in future.

when you say flank...where exactly do you mean? anyway glad you've had a medical examination x

• Posted

Well it's more on the right side...more like the waist area. 

Have just realized it is due to gastritis, burns when I eat something wrong. So sticking to a diet now where I don't aggravate it.

i am very skeptical of natural herbs, tried so many of them before using PPI and none of them worked. Anyway will try the slippery elm first. 

So lizzie, what are the issues you are suffering from?

• Posted

hi sirivinay

well i have autoimmune thyroiditis and lichen sclerosis. both are inflammatory conditions and i'm modifying my diet to exclude gluten grains and dairy. sounds hard i know but i also need to take more nutrients and am investigating how best to do so preferably from food but otherwise supplementation. do you take any supplements?

• Posted

Oh am sorry to hear that Lizzie.

I don't take any supplements. Was thinking Of trying supplements like ensure but Dropped the idea for now as I have slowly started gaining back weight now. 

I eat oatmeal, bananas, walnuts with almond milk for breakfast. Lunch and dinner I eat veggies, lentils, rice, Indian wheat breads, yoghurt. I do avoid dairy though. 

• Posted

I am due to get off the PPI's in a week. So I am trying to wean off them slowly now.
    • Posted

oh well done!

was really worrying as ppi's whilst being  helpful for ulceration or even just inflammation (ie gastritis) can cause other problems and sustained low stomach acid allows parasites in as well as infections and viruses etc.

maybe don't quit too early either...but you should be able to tolerate apple cyder vinegar without pain...then you know you've cleared up the itis!!

important to restore the normal balance of stomach acidity. have you been feeling tired? low stomach can be a symptom of low thyroid..i'm working on re-building my stomach acid due to aununderactive thyroid. Its all connected!!

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie! Yah I heard it hyoid issues are connected to Gut health sometimes! I am quitting but I will be taking Zantac for a few more days when I stop the PPI completely. I had tried Apple cider vinegar before I started on PPI and it burned so badly so scared to try it again. I have tried lemon juice today and didn't have any burning, although I am on PPI still so don't know if that buffered the burning. Will try lemon juice for a few days
    • Posted

To answer your question, I do not feel tired. I think the Hpylori is gone (yet to get re tested to see if it's gone). Except for the gastritis and mild reflux I feel pretty normal. I understand what you mean about low stomach acid problems. Right now I don't think I have any bad bacteria overgrowth. I can eat normally, have a good appetite and I don't have any bloating, bowels are fine. 
    • Posted

don/t blame you for being cautious! ouch. am sure you will let the stomach wall heal completely x
    • Posted

.wonder why you got this?  its more often smokers etc. have you been worrying about something maybe? i do hope any issue is resolved
    • Posted

I am not sure what caused it. I don't smoke and I've been fairly healthy with no gut issues and not over weight. I had chicken pox last year though and I think antibiotics for 10days caused Bacterial imbalance. I didn't get feel anything then but soon after the chicken pox I moved to the U.S. I think that caused a physical stress on my body. And It all started off soon after.  I couldn't understand what was wrong, that's when I panicked and got stressed out and made things worse I guess. 
    • Posted

oh....well theres your answer...anti-biotics killed off your gut flora including the small amount of H P  that;s normally there.....in the stomach!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.