Gastritis? Something worse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm going out of my mind. I just turned 39. For the past 12 weeks I've been in pain on left side of my rib and middle where stomach is. It all startwd after a horrible stress( death in family), drinking wine a lot and coffee on empty stomach. Sometimes it feels like pressure, like a baby foot stuck there while pregnant, sometimes like a stomach pain protruding into back, sometimes like rib itself burns. I have been put on omeprazole 40 for last 10 weeks with no real change. I've had complete blood work which was perfect ( the only thing they found was low thyroid), h pylori breath test- negative, complete abdominal ultrasound - normal, upper GI series with barium swallow - normal, chest x ray - normal. I finally had upper endoscopy 2 days ago. Waiting for biopsy, but doctor said he didn't see any cancer, polyps, ulcers. All he saw was small scratch and possibly mild gastritis. And that I can stop omeprazole. I didn't take it last two days and pain got worse, waking me at night. So I just took it again today. I'm at the end of wits, scared of pancreatic cancer etc. Googling symptoms is killing me. 8m a very anxious person. Anyone else had gastritis that took this long to heal?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pancreatic cancer generally causes a lot of back pain and must be quite advanced before you have any symptoms. I would think with all the testing you've had done, they would have seen something on your scans that indicated cancer if you were in so much pain already. Either that or your bloodwork would have come back skewed. Sounds to me more like you maybe injured a rib ligament or something similar. That can cause a lot of pain and take a long while to heal, but isn't deadly. 

• Posted

Hi petra I think I'd ask for stronger medication  try zoflat,  it's a powerful antacid medication. 

• Posted

Thank you guys. I will ask about the Zoflat. I'm hoping my doctor will send me for MRI or CAT scan, to ease my mind. Having constant pain without knowing why is really doing a number on my mind.

• Posted

If you had abdominal ultrasound. And it was good you have nothing to worry about. CT is only used to look for other things like ulcers etc.. or if they found something on your ultrasound which they didn't.. 

Sounds like ulcer to me

• Posted

I was hoping for ulcer, but my gastroenterologist did upper endoscope two days ago under sedation where they put camera down your throat and no ulcers were found. Just a scratch on the lining of stomach. I'm frustrated that all these tests show nothing . Thank you for taking time calming me down. My husbands ears are falling off by now. Lol

• Posted

Ha,  ha at least your husband laughs.  It's not funny though.  Find out what it is but when he stubs his toe in pain,  laugh back! 

• Posted

Well at least you have had tests and they are all clear.... you can pretty much rule out anything really bad like cancer. So I wouldn't worry about that 

• Posted

I had the  same symptoms in my late 30's, had a full feeling and dull ache in my stomach through to my back. I let it go for a couple days thinking it was gas of some type. On the final night I had a big burger and a tasty craft beer, later that night the stomach pain increased. I checked into Er next morning, they thought maybe stones either kidney or gull blader. It turned out to be pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) they held me for 3 days. The only way to treat is to not eat or drink until the pancreas settles back down. I'm ok now the doctor just said to cut out fatty foods and alcohol. I'm sure the docs checked your amylase and lypase enzymes in your pancreas? This test is from your blood and isn't always a standard test unless specified. You might want to check out what they tested for exactly. One thing I learned about doctors, hospitals, labs, etc. is that never assume they know what they're doing and always double check to see what is tested and the results. If you have any questions you can send me a private message.          

• Posted

Thank you Mike! Yes, they checked amylase and lipase twice in last month. Once in full panel and once later just those two specifically. Both were normal. You are so right about being your own health advocate and not assuming they know better. I had gastritis 10 years ago and they sent me home from ER with ibuprofen 800. NSAID s are known to cause gastritis..mm go figure
  • Posted

You may have picked up gastrtis due to stress.  This shows up on scans.  Are they treating you for underactive thyroid?  Make sure they give you enough thyroid medication.  Don't google; it will make you worse.  Discuss your worries with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Pippa! Yes, I've been on Levothyroxine for 3 weeks now. Blood recheck in a month to see if dose needs adjusting. I definitely went through a lot of stress back in May.

• Posted

If gastritis is suspected, avoid fatty and spicy foods.  Try a food diary to see what foods may be triggering symptoms.  Gastritis can be caused by stress,  When you have your thyroid checked again, if you have normal results but you still have underactive symptoms, insist on s higher dose, because sometimes the test is inaccurate.
    • Posted

It's basically inflammation of stomach lining. Digestive system is usually the first to show signs of high anxiety and stress . I am a vet tech and know dogs easily get street colitis just by changes in their routine and have bloody diarrhea etc. It's amazing how our bodies work, everything is connected.

• Posted

Stress, lol, not street
    • Posted

The stomach has more nerves in it than the spinal cord and is linked to your brain.  When your brain detects stress, it can be felt in your stomach.  With gastritis, the stomach lining gets infammed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.