Gastritis? Something worse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm going out of my mind. I just turned 39. For the past 12 weeks I've been in pain on left side of my rib and middle where stomach is. It all startwd after a horrible stress( death in family), drinking wine a lot and coffee on empty stomach. Sometimes it feels like pressure, like a baby foot stuck there while pregnant, sometimes like a stomach pain protruding into back, sometimes like rib itself burns. I have been put on omeprazole 40 for last 10 weeks with no real change. I've had complete blood work which was perfect ( the only thing they found was low thyroid), h pylori breath test- negative, complete abdominal ultrasound - normal, upper GI series with barium swallow - normal, chest x ray - normal. I finally had upper endoscopy 2 days ago. Waiting for biopsy, but doctor said he didn't see any cancer, polyps, ulcers. All he saw was small scratch and possibly mild gastritis. And that I can stop omeprazole. I didn't take it last two days and pain got worse, waking me at night. So I just took it again today. I'm at the end of wits, scared of pancreatic cancer etc. Googling symptoms is killing me. 8m a very anxious person. Anyone else had gastritis that took this long to heal?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had mine since 2012 on and off, for me I don't think it will ever go away but it does get better, first start a diet journal of everything you eat and how you feel afterwards, in the morning and throughout the day, the diet you should be following is foods safe for gastritis and perhaps ibs, stay on the ppi, it does help, it doesn't feel like it is doing anything but believe me it is, maybe start a probiotic those have definitely been helping me out , I do this and have a junk day every couple weeks, but stop the pain and discomfort by watching what your eating, finding the things that set you off, which can be scary. I started at250 and am now 133 , so this was a life changer for me , I hope you start feeling better soon, .

• Posted

I just went shopping and got all gastritis ok foods and gluten free. The food log sounds like a good idea! I could use to lose about 40 pounds of after baby weight too... thank you
    • Posted

No problem, I hope it helps you out some, and just don't forget to remember that your not the only one, sometimes that the roughest to go through, sounds and others don't really understand how it feels and why you feel like crap, but these forums help alot to get comfort , when you feel real down . Eat smaller portions, basically don't ever eat a full meal, eat 5- times maybe a day , I start with a banana, then maybe a little more fruit a couple hours later or some nuts like almonds I found OK for me, then a few hours after that have you a turkey breast sandwich or chicken breast with veggies, fruit should always be eaten alone, it will cause discomfort if you eat it with anything else, check out food combinations if you have issues with digestion like myself, it's crazy but combining the right foods together makes digestion much easier, drink nothing but water for a few days then introduce non acidic fruit juice ,like apple juice ,I like Mott's because there are no preservatives all organic basically and it's delicious,lol, I also found that 7 up , sprite, non caffeinated and things like that are OK to drink once in a while in small portions. Good luck !!!! :-)

• Posted

It really depends on what your body can handle, I like bananas, pears in small portions, and applesauce, I like carrots and celery, green beans canned and cooked, chicken ,shrimp, fish, turkey, salad with a little egg and turkey ,I can handle ranch dressing in small portions, I can also handle a dab of ketchup here and there ,I only use sea salt to season , although I have a seasoned turkey I bought from a farm I'm going to cook tonight and try, I also handle potatoes very well, I think iceberg lettuce causes a little discomfort well gas, also broccoli raw, I can drink apple juice in 8 oz bottles , and grape juice sips throughput the day, I can eat around ten mixed nuts a day I usually do like 5 almonds a couple hazelnut, and a Brazil nut. I handle egg and wheat toast pretty well, mixed melons I like but have to eat those alone as just a snack or so. The fiber one bars are good for a sweet craving , I like the chocolate chip, also most of the stuff I buy I try and make sure it is fresh, organic, no preservatives, no gmo, gluten free, eggs should be cage free, I can't find white but brown eggs works to and there is absolutely no difference in taste. And cheese, my favorite thing to eat, they have a horizon organic cheddar that I have been able to eat in small amounts. There really no way of telling except for trying it, you can look online for things safe to eat, what I do is try a little and wait an HR and see how I feel, like the broccoli, I literally took one little sprout, dunked it in a tap of ranch and ate it ,about a HR later I started getting gas, so that one is a no no for me ,however some veggies are easier to handle after you've steamed or boiled them, crackers is my all time got to ,especially if I start feeling icky, organic chicken soup is the best, I can't remember which one I got but it was in a box, organic, no preservatives, blah blah blah, also 7 up, sprite and other non caffeinated carbonated beverages, are OK with me, only a few sips though not like a whole 12 or 24 oz , more like. 6-8 oz. Hope that helps a little, oh and peanut butter, organic 100% peanuts, make a nice topping for crackers, ( not heaping loads) .

• Posted

First of all, unless you have Jaundice, you don't have pancreatic cancer. Second the abdominal ultrasound looks at your pancreas and you were fine. So eliminate that worry.

A CT scan won't pick up a tumor that the ultrasound missed in your abdomen.  It takes a closer look at other potential issues or show a closer look at a mass/tumor if one was already identified.

The internet is set up to tell you that you have every cancer or terminal illness. It is a hypochondriacs or someone's worn anxietys worse nightmare.

So get the cancer stuff out of your head. You were already checked! Also it's great people have advice but you can't let them diagnose you. Let the dr do that... regardless, it's nothing life threatning 

On the concept these sites seem ok, but there is too much self diagnosing going on by others. Only a dr can do that, and everyone's bodies and symptoms are unique.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for a sobering talking to. My husband says something similar to me, even threatened to hide my tablet... I'm just such an anxious mess and tend to be negative. My health glass is always half empty. I am probably gonna try counseling for that.

• Posted

Please don't take it offensively - I have done the same in past and wasted so much precious time of my life worrying and looking for someone else to reassure me so I can feel good for 10 min.  You will push everyone away if you continue this way.  The one day when you do actually have an illness, you just treat it... that's it!!!  No need to take our minds to this craziness 

I appreciate what people offer on here, but don't get sucked into this viscious cycle. Go live your life! Laugh, love your family and deal with things as they come. Let the Dr's deal with the medical stuff.! Many of us with anxiety want to find people with similar symptoms so we can reassure ourselves and not feel alone. We are all different! That's not possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.