gastritis wont go away! what should i be doing?

Posted , 9 users are following.

i had a second endoscopy done at a public hospital and the doctor told me that all he saw that i had was gastritis.  ive had this for the past two years on and off again, why wont it go away for good?  what am i doing wrong here?  ive been trying to following dieting tips that i found online and avoiding all kinds of certain foods and beverages and even at that my gastritis wont go away, what´s going on here?  is it me or is my gastritis that bad that it simply wont heal?  will drinking aloe juice really cure it?  why wont my gastritis heal and go away 100%?  why is nothing working here?  am i not being strict enough with my diet?  what will get rid of gastritis to the point where it will no longer be in my stomach???  is it diet, prescription medication, eating 3-4 hours before bedtime, ect.......?  can a gastritis expert please tell me what is going on here or what am i doing wrong here?  rsvp.  thank you.  

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ray,

I wish I knew the answers. These Doctors give you all these tests, and all you are left with is expensive co-pay medical bills, invasive tests and no answers. I was just told to "live with it" I read a post on here that someone uses. an amino acid called L -Arganine. Which has really helped. It's a powder. I am looking into purchasing it. I "googled" it and saw alot of positive reviews on it for gastrointestinal disorders. I wish I had more answers. If you hear anything, or anything that helps you, please share. I too, am tired of suffering.

• Posted

You need to be on a very bland diet avoiding anything greasy, spicy. rich or acidic. Coffee, alcohol and chocolate are common triggers.  However, everyone's triggers are different.  Keep a food and symptom diary to identify your own individual triggers.  Aloe  vera, while helpful for some, is acidic and may not be good for you.  

Ask your doctor or a dietician for a gastritis diet sheet.and ask for PPI medication to help to reduce acid in your stomach. Gadtritis can take time to heal and can come back in bouts.  Healing time is different for everyone.  When it does heal, it will leave your stomach permanently sensitive.  So you will always have to watch what you eat.  Anxiety about your symptoms will make you significantly worse.  Try distraction techniques such as hobby to take your mind off your stomach.  

Check with your doctor that you were tested for H pylori which can cause gastritis.  If you have h pylori, this could be caising you more problems.  You will need antibiotics to get rid of this infection.

It is also possible that some prescription medications may have irritated your stomach lining. It is also plausible that you are doing everything right and you have chronic gastritis if it keeps coming back. 

• Posted

what do you mean aloe vera might not work in my case?  rsvp
    • Posted

Aloe vera is acidic.  With gastritis, you need to stay away from anything acidic which could further irritate your stomach.  That is why it may not be good for you.  However, everyone is different.
    • Posted

but a lot of people have told me is that drinking aloe vera juice cured them of their gastritis!  what do you have to say about that?  rsvp
    • Posted

Not everyone reacts in the same way because we are all different. I have acid reflux and IBS so I don't like to put anything unusual into my stomach.  All you can do is try a very small amount of it to see if you tolerate it.

• Posted

Healing gastritis does not leave ones stomach necessarily in a sensitive manner permanently. If the issue is found and eliminated, the stomach can and will heal back to it's original state. There are plenty of people and ones I know personally who have healed from gastritis and have had no further issues.

• Posted

A lot depends on whether you have acute gastritis or chronic gastritis and whether it is mild, moderate or severe.
  • Posted

Aloe Vera is Alkanine. This is what I found on the internet. It works for the body, not against it. "Aloe vera is an alkaline forming food. It alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits."

Hope this helps.

• Posted

They say apple cider vinegar is alkaline too and beneficial but I find that acidic. What is good for some can be an irritant for others.  Milk definitely has an alkaline effect and calms heartburn down and settles my stomach.  This is the best thing to try provided you are not lactose intolerant.  
    • Posted

Yes, I am lactose intolerant too, but I find yogurt very helpful with live cultures. It has "friendly bacteria" it actually helps with constipation too, I get the one with BB-12 or L-Casie or L- Bulgarius, or L-Acidophilus.

• Posted

Activia yogurt appeared to normalise my bowel movements when they started to become very loose and urgent when my IBS started. At first I had resigned myself to this being permanent.  However, I had just got rid of my pre diagnosis health anxiety so I don't know if the lack of stress was the real cause of my symptoms improving or a bit of both.

• Posted

Activia yogurt is the worst. They need to remove it from shelves. I opened a container and saw something odd, and it was a maggot. Stay away from that stuff. It does not work.
    • Posted

A maggot in one activia pot doesn't mean they are all suspect.  You were just unlucky. I would imagine though an incident like that would put you right off the brand.

For some reason, a lot of these natural remedies that work for others,    

upset my stomach.  Peppermint oil also irritates my gut. My mum was also very sensitive to a lot of things.

• Posted

Then alot of people were unlucky besides me. Just Google and look at reviews on Activia.
    • Posted

I understand your frustrations. The original poster said they tried diet, meds and other measures and people still replied to them with " you need a diet and meds"...ppi has horribly affected me. I eat a low histsmine, low carb, low acid , gluten free Paleo diet for one year. I have had zero luck and have been tested for every single cause of gastritis. Sometimes , there are no answers...at least from doctors and you have to do what you think is best for yourself...I will say though that ppi drugs are not the way to go long term if they don't heal it in three months, than your gastritis will have to be controlled by other measures. They are not meant for lifelong treatment of gastritis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.