Gathering Lots of Information

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone tell me when it is safe to bend down?  How about just a slight bend to get something out of a cupboard?  I am keeping a journal so when I have my op (hopefully in February) I will know exactly what I can do and what I cannot!  I am planning it like a project and hope to come out the other end 100% fit, with all problems solved (fingers doubly crossed!) Warmest Wishes, Jacqui 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again Jacqui, have you been told about 'swelly belly?' I was just looking at myself in the mirror not a pretty sight on a normal day but since my op and I think all ladies get it. I look 24 months pregnant lol! It's not all the time for me but it is so annoying, especially when you want to dress nice, I am living in leggings or similar and loose tops at the moment that hide a multitude of sins.

Anyway if you didn't know about it before, at least you will be prepared. 😊

• Posted

Snap.my tummy is very swelly, still in leggings and baggy tops.swore blind I would never wear them but they have been a life saver over the weeks
    • Posted

No one warned me about this and in the hospital the dressing gown I took in with me wouldn't do up, then the sister told me it was normal but could go on for weeks :0(
    • Posted

No me either . The other thing I wasnt aware of was how difficult it would be to put my own nighty on in hospital due to all the drains and drips.
    • Posted

I got tangled up it was quite funny, I still had oxygen so I quickly took that over my head then quickly put it back afterwards, I think my drip had gone by then, I sat looking really innocent when a nurse came back.
    • Posted

I know what you mean. I had a drip in each hand, oxygen in my nose,catheter in and the wound drain in stomach, for the first 24 hours while I was high on pain relief I left the hosp gown on but after that I wanted my own nighty on.at the time I was in tears trying to get changed but now I can imagine I looked like I was fighting with spaghetti, lol
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe razz  

I've just been reading about swelly belly, as if you all don't go through enough!  What is worrying me is that I have it now, before I have gone anywhere near the operating theatre!  It started as my poor bladder is descending more and more, so my skinny trousers have all been replaced with soft leggings, and jeggings.  I look silly, because I only weigh 7st 12 lbs with this huge belly sticking out!  How big will it get after the op?  The doctors have stopped me doing my sit ups, and my Pilates table top exercises (apparently makes prolapses worse!) so the poor stomach muscles are going to jelly!  

Still as you say the loose tops and leggings can hide quite a bit, and I am sure you look lovely and radiant on well on the way to total recovery.  I take it eventually all our bellies will return to normal (please god!) and we can all see our feet again, oh bliss!  

But I am being good, I have got some loose tops and some harlem pants in shocking pink!  I am not going down quietly! 

Love Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Luisa and Phoebe, I have just been reading your incredible antics with drips, drains, oxygen and the like.  It would make a fantastic 'Carry on' film.  Sorry I know it is not funny but you both have just a brave way of explaining things it just makes me smile.  It is lovely to see you both have such a sense of humour and good fun, after all you have been through.  It is a tonic to us 'newees' who are awaiting to be called for the op, somehow it takes away the wobbles and fears.  A lot to be said in the act of laughter.  Thanks both of you.

Love Jacqui 

• Posted

You have to have a sense of humour, us ladies go through a lot more than men, what with smear tests, having babies and bleeding every month etc, I had a vaginal hysterectomy, legs in stirrups bed tilted back and with a man you only met a couple of weeks ago doing who knows what with your you know what, if you didn't joke about it well I think you would be in a sorry state, yes I know I was diagnosed with cancer but fortunately I didn't lose my sense of humour and now I have been given the all clear so even more reason to laugh lots. You will be fine Jacqui just keep positive and keep smiling. :0)
    • Posted

Hmm image of Phoebe legs acimbo in stirrups now !!! Lol,

but your right we have to smile and laugh our way through its what we do.smile

Jacqui im sure even though you will get swelly belly it wont be as big as the swelling you may have now, a prolapsed bladder isnt nice but just think that will all be sorted soon.

I had my bladder sorted aswell, I used to go to toilet 20 to 30 times a day plus leak all the time, nickname polly p*ssy pants! By my best friend.smile

Since op I go 5 max.no pain no urge so that side of things is amazeballs whoop whoop

im 8 stone 2 so like you petite so my tummy is very obvious to me but friends say its hardly noticeable, thats why they're griends for tho.

once im allowed to exercise and get the muscles working the jelly belly hopefully will ease.or at best have the muscle strength to hold the darn thing in

best wishes to you

• Posted

Think of it as a HYSTERICAL-ECTOMY lol
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe

That is really clever I love it, just don't forget the pillow when laughing!

Love Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Luisa and Phoebe

Gosh don't get me started on stirrups, is there anything more undiginified than legs up in stirrups, but oh so comfortable, I love the position, (am I sick!).  

So good to hear about your fantastic bladder progress, you must be so thrilled you want to do a jig all round the street!  It's those 'no warning' leaks I cannot cope with (two days ago it was a fountain, hubby was in the bathroom, so I had to grab a bucket!, now I have the giggles, how did it all come to this!).  I love your nickname, my Ian will kick himself for not thinking of that for me!  What is your best friend going to call you now?  I am so so pleased (the word does not seem adequate enough, does it!) for you, the world is your oyster now you have conquered 'The Bladder!'  

You have certainly given me lots of hope for this op being a success.   You and Phoebe are my role models to aim for, along with lots and lots of laughter on the way.  

Love

Jacqui 

Jacqui   

• Posted

You are sweet, I don't think I have ever been referred to as a role model. Should I give a speech? 'I'd like to thank................Lol.

Seriously, if I can help one person then I will be happy, the ladies on this website helped me enormously, I'm agoraphobic and suffer with horrendous panic attacks, I don't think I would have gone to the docs if I hadn't had a friendly kick up the btm, I will always be grateful for that. :0)

• Posted

Hi Luisa,

Have just thought of a question I must ask you.  Before you had your op to sort the bladder out, had you restricted any of your foods?  I have found quite a few fruits, cheese, wheat, sugar etc irritated the bladder very badly so I stopped eating them.  I was wondering if you can now eat anything without it affected 'The Bladder'?  I will never go back to wheat and sugar but I am a 'fruit bat' and it is very sad that I cannot eat it at the moment.  

Love Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Jacqui

On the lead up to op i did eat even more healthy than normal, I had reduced tea as this is a diaretic so goes straight throug.

but now back to drinking alot of tea and normal diet, im fine with eating fruit daily

• Posted

Hi Luisa

Now I really am getting excited, just maybe will be able to eat fruit, oh bliss!  You have given me hope, fingers crossed.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Hope you can,

grapes was the main thing I enjoyed and could eat immediately after the op, fingers crossed for you

xLu

• Posted

Hi Luisa, oh boy now I cannot wait, at my pre-op on Thursday I will saying "Do me, do me now!", and then to the surgeon after the op "peel me a grape boy!"  

Oh you all do make me laugh, I have to confess there has not been much laughter in the last few months, but I think I am making up for it now.

Love

Jacqui 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.