GD-amlodipine atorvastatin Medicine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

my Dr has prescribed me the GD-amlodipine atorvastatin Medicine and I have been taking this for more than a year now but I have noticed that whenever I skip it or wait for the refills, I have cough developed.

Now I dont have any medical history. He just prescribed me to prevent any future incidents looking at my family history.

I am not kind of a guy to depend on medicines on a daily basis but the DR suggests I will have to take this for the rest of my life.

Is there any way I can consult a secondary DR for advise or just continue taking it ...please advise....thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

it would be difficult to advise you without a little more info, do you have high blood pressure? Angina

could you let us know your age and if possible your cholesterol levels.

sorry but it's much easier for us to advise you if we have more of a background

thanks

sonya

• Posted

Hi Sonya,

Thanks for your reply....I am not sure about the high blood pressure or Anggina. The DR does take blood pressure during the visit but its possible for it to be high at that time as it changes every minute. As for Angina, I have never complained about it.

I am 37 yrs old and right now I dont have the exact levels but from what I recall the DR said was its in perfect range. if you want, I can ask him on my next visit and keep a record of it.

thanks so much

• Posted

It would be unusual for your doctor to prescribe statins just as a 'precautionary' measure as they usually only do so if your cholesterol is already high and related to your family heart history.  I would seriously question this prescription - these things are not sweeties, they are a highly toxic drug and full information should be provided to you about their side effects, liver function test requirements, signs to watch for plus dietary advice.  I'm very cynical about the volume of statins prescribed so quickly and easily by GP's but even putting my cynicism aside, you must get your doctor to sit down and fully discuss the matter in detail if you're to continue taking these, which as you say could be for the rest of your life - especially as you are so young - that again is a VERY unusual course of action in one of your age if you have no other heart condition pre-existing.  Please don't be 'fobbed off' by your doctor, you have a right to a full and detailed explanation of their decisions regarding your health
    • Posted

HI Loxie,

You have really scared me now....lol...Its actually very hard here (Canada) to challenge the DR in fear of losing them since they is scarcity of DR's here but not to compromise on ones health...to be honest the DR has seen improvements on both blood pressure and cholestrol levels but I am not kind of a person to rely on medicines especially when there is no symptom of it....I might just ask him to reduce the dosgae cause we had this discuission before where he advised me to take it all my life...unless i change my DR and get all the tests redone and being evaluated again...

• Posted

You should buy a BP monitor to check your readings at home.

Do you have any local pharmacies that would do a cholesterol test for you?

• Posted

We have a BP monitor at pharmacy and local walmart...like I said i dont have BP isssues to keep one at home and monitor on regular basis...the local pharmacy dont do a cholesterol check all the time...its only done after the DR gives the requistion and the results are also directly forwarded to the DR without we being able to see it..
  • Posted

I am completely baffled as to why you've been prescribed GD- Amlodipine Atorvastatin, it should only be given to patients who suffer chest pain ' angina' or people who have high blood pressure, the Atorvastatin is for high cholesterol.

you are correct to assume that blood pressure numbers alter and a reading maybe high when visiting a doctor, therefore good doctors ask you to re visit a couple of times to get a more average and accurate reading.

so if you do not suffer with angina, chest pain or high blood pressure ( continuously) then there is absolutely no way you should be taking Amlodipine as a preventative medication, no wonder you are suffering coughing bouts when you run out.

As for Avorstatin I'm also at a loss if you haven't even been told you have high cholesterol or given your levels. 

In my opinion you really do need to change your doctor as you are taking medication that can have serious side effects and health related issues when your body does not need them.

on future visits to doctors please ask for any blood pressure and cholesterol readings and make a note of them, don't take their word that it's a ' preventative measure' when you are so young and have no health issues.

hope that helps

Sonya

• Posted

thanks Sonya....i am not sure if the damage is already done as like I said , i do get cough bouts when not taking...but I will certainly take a second physician advice...hopefully I will get back to you after I have my readings...thanks so much for your help and advise...
    • Posted

I agree 100% with Sonya's comments above.  I have no knowledge of Amlodipine but I do know that statins are not prescribed as 'preventative' measures.  They are (or should be) a 'last resort' when diet, change of lifestyle, etc., have not succeeded in lowering cholesterol to a reasonable level.  Regardless of side effects and possible damage to muscles and liver that long term use of statins may cause, in some cases they are essential to prevent heart and stroke problems.  However, in your case and given the information you have provided, as Sonya has said you really MUST get the full facts about your current levels from your doctor, it is your right.
    • Posted

Loxie, Where do you live and do you keep up with the news?

In the UK present guidlines for statins are to prescribe if a person has a 10% risk of having a heart attack in the next tem years. For that the doctor would need a crystal ball.

If you read earlier conversations on this site you will see that low risk patients are being coecred into taking statins. Some fear being taken off their GP's list if they dont comply.  

• Posted

Derek, I hadn't been aware of that change in policy and it certainly doesn't tie in with the advice and guidance given to me by my GP in recent years - he has deferred prescribing statins to me in the past on the basis that I had no other issues re heart health (ie no high blood pressure, not overweight, no diabetes etc) just a high cholesterol reading.  I did finally get prescribed them as my cholesterol remained exceptionally high but he certainly wasn't of the opinion that I should take them 'just in case'.  I believe recent changes in policy to be directly related to payments to GP's relating to statin prescription and cholesterol levels and cynically probably due to pressure from drug companies re lowering the level at which cholesterol readings merit drug intervention.  I still find it difficult to comprehend why someone in their 30s without an actual diagnosis would be put on these 'for life' with no other reference to monitoring their usage in terms of liver function tests and advice and guidance on reporting side effects.  There is something between the lines here that we are obviously not aware of.  

Due to my own major issues with taking statins I've read everything I can possibly find about reducing cholesterol and frankly the use of statins is fairly apparently a 'quick fix' without taking due consideration of the other health risks they present.  I never was a cynic re my health care providers until this, I sure am now as statins have caused me irreperable damage which I was never warned of.

• Posted

Interesting article Derek - the phrase that jumped out at me was: "Statins work, they are very cheap, and are becoming considerably cheaper as they come off patent which in a cost limited health service is a big consideration to think about" and very noticeable by its absence was any mention of the cost (both human and monetary) of dealing with the damage statins can do to some people's health.  It's always cost related when blanket advice like this is given, it's as I said - the 'quick fix' but one size does NOT fit all and I think this type of cost cutting is unacceptable to be honest.
    • Posted

thanks Loxie...I am glad to have raised this issue here and have gotten so valuable inputs from you all...I am going to take a serious step on this now....thanks so much everybody..
    • Posted

Hi Derek...that's exactly the case...one cannot argur with the DR and say I dont want to listen to you...after all he knows more about your body than we do..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.