GD-amlodipine atorvastatin Medicine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

my Dr has prescribed me the GD-amlodipine atorvastatin Medicine and I have been taking this for more than a year now but I have noticed that whenever I skip it or wait for the refills, I have cough developed.

Now I dont have any medical history. He just prescribed me to prevent any future incidents looking at my family history.

I am not kind of a guy to depend on medicines on a daily basis but the DR suggests I will have to take this for the rest of my life.

Is there any way I can consult a secondary DR for advise or just continue taking it ...please advise....thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

loxie is absolutely right one size does not fit all my husband has been taking statins for 3 years and has had no side effects at all.Within the first 3 months of me taking them I was having bad muscle pain in my thighs. I didn't make the connection until a year later but by then I had to crawl up they stairs.I have stopped taking them and feel a lot better now.
    • Posted

Hi Margaret...sorry to hear about your condition...but I never had any pains or side effects, reason I continued taking it...my wife would advise if taking one pill a day prevents you from future onsets and does not effect your present then why not...actually I also dont have any problems but dont want to depend on them...maybe if I am out of country and dont have access to it....am i going to die for the want of it?   lol
  • Posted

GD-amlodipine atorvastatin is a combination pill of the two drugs. Can you tell us from the packaging how much of each drug the pill contains? It should be a full dose of statin with a small dose of amlodipine.

With your doctors reluctance to give you any information one might suspect that he has included you in a drugs trial. I don't know if it is prescribed as a combination pill in the UK.

There are a few Polypills being prescribed/tested here that contain a standard dose of statin along with one or more low dosage BP meds plus aspirin.  

• Posted

Hi Derek,

Its hard to tell the amount of each pill from the packaging since it only says 10 mg from the container. I totally agree about the drugs trial thing since it has been in the news here.

• Posted

I wouldn't be taking it unless you have high cholesterol readings, that's what it's for, and even if the family history is full of people with high cholesterol, did they all have heart attacks and did they have other risk factors?

I've never noticed a cough when I go off statins, but then I have emphysema so I cough a lot anyway.    How many times have you gone off it?  The cough may just be coincidence and personally I'd rather have a bit of a cough than take medication I may not need.

Sounds like you have none of the usual statin side effects - lucky you!  

I don't understand what would be stopping you from consulting another GP?

• Posted

Hi Jude,

Its only my dad who was diabetic and had a heart attack and that also due to hyper-tension. It was only after this the DR put me on this drug. The cough thing may be a conincidence but I have observed to more to occur when I stop taking it for a couple of days and goes away as soon as I am back on it. It's not a heavy cough but discomfort that do gets noticed by poeple around.

You are very right about taking a second opionon or consulting another GP but its not easy as it sounds due to scarcity of DR's here and since the medical is paid by the govt, there is a huge procedure to change the GP and get the records transferred.

• Posted

Unless you have a family history of high cholesterol AND heart attacks AND other risk factors, I wouldn't be taking it.  Just interested, how come you go on and off the statins?   

I had a cholesterol test yesterday and see the GP tomorrow to find out if it's up, down or the same after some weeks of very high fish oil dosage - here's hoping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.