general anaesthetic or epidural for Knee replacement

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi. Had PKR on right knee in October 2015 under general anaesthetic with an epidural and was very sick afterwards which I expected to happen. Due to have left knee replacement in two weeks time and even though I was sick I think I am going to have a general anaesthetic again as I really just want to to be put under and woke up after it is all finished.

Anyone got any comments on what anaesthetic they think is best and why. Prefer not to have any idea what is happening.

would like to say how wonderful this forum is and how much it helped me the first time round.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Always always have the general. i wouldnt have anybody sticking needles in my spine. Things can go wrong and you are far safer with the general. You can always ask for them to give you something to combat the sickness.
    • Posted

Hi Mary.  I couldn't believe how rough I felt after my PKR back in Oct 2015 and here I am ready to go through it all again.  It does get better. I'm now nearly 6 months post op and it is the best thing I ever did. The replacement knee is great can walk for miles on that one, good bend, no pain or sleepless nights unlike the left which I am having done next.

It is a roll coaster of a ride while we are recovering but I am sure that you will get there.  Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Regarding the anaesthetic I did let them know that I suffer from Sickness after as it has happened before.  I was giving medication before and afterwards and in the end after being so sick for most of the day I was givenan injection which helped.  Rather be sick than be aware to any degree of what is happening.

Wishing you a great recovery x

• Posted

I had wanted a spinal for my TKR, but I'm not flexible, so it wasn't possible. I had a GA and it was impeccable. I've always been well with anaesthesia, which may be just luck, since the rest of my family are sickies. I wake cheerful and thirsty, craving for tea.

I'd certainly tell the anaesthetist in advance about previous problems. Any problems! They have many solutions and you might find something that really works for you.

Best wishes for your second op - hope you're really comfortable!

• Posted

Initially I said i wanted a GA when I had my first TKR but I was persuaded by the anaesthetist that I could be made completely unaware while the surgery was carried out with an epidural. I am glad I did. I was completely out of it and when I came round I felt fine and had the added bonus of not being in pain because of the epidural. I was actually looking forward to my dinner which I ate with gusto! I didn't eat more than some cereal for the next six days. Last time I had a GA, like you I was very sick afterwards and very drousy. When I go in for the second TKR next month I will definitely go for the sedation/epidural again.
  • Posted

I had spinal and sedation for both my knees and was fine afterwards no groggy feeling had tea and something to eat as soon as i got back to the ward
  • Posted

I had a spinal with sedation. Never felt a thing and woke up fresh as a daisy.
  • Posted

My problem was the painkillers.They made me I'll. It took almost to months to get my eating back.Stomach was really affected.I had epidural and something to put me under. Knee is progressing well 135 degrees. Had it done Jan. 5. Good luck. At least you know what your in for.
    • Posted

Pain meds made me sick also so just took paracetamol in the end for the pain. Right knee really good, hopefully left will be the same.
  • Posted

Wow, I guess I'm very fortunate. Had left PKR two years ago and right TKR eight weeks ago today. No spinals for me! Big chicken. Had general for both, as well as two colonoscopies (tmi) under, I think, propafal (sp.) I had absolutely no after effects. No headache, nausea, hangover or pain. Woke up feeling like I had a great nap. Might have a discussion with your anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Pain blocker lasted a good 24 hours and they saw to it with other IV drugs that I didn't get behind the pain curve. So sorry to hear of bad results. 
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, In the area I live in, I was told I would have no choice but an epidural for a knee replacement. I need my two knees done. I am a bit wary of having the operation as I am a carer to my daughter who has severe M.E. and If anything went wrong she has no one else to help her.If I did get my knees done I think I would prefer a general anaesthetic, but it's not an option.

• Posted

An epidural is a much safer option. It is much easier on your entire body. General will affect your entire body while the epidural will only affect the lower portion. It is also eaiser to recover from.

The biggest reason it is safer/better is because you are breathing on your own. With general, you have to have the tube stuck down your throat in order to breathe.

Of course it has its own side effects but they are much better than general anaestheics.

• Posted

I can't have an epidural, they don't work on me. My first knee I used general and nerve block. Second knee I went without the block. Pain was more doable without the block. That's just me tho. I had done a good job of getting my leg muscles ready for surgery too. I felt that with the block that when Iit wore off the pain was just miserable all at once. Without the block it was less intense. Good Luck. Let me know how it goes.
  • Posted

I had an epidural. They kept me sedated throughout. It was the best. I was scared at first but I was advised by the anethesiast that general is hard on the whole body, lungs, heart etc. Just try it. 
  • Posted

An old friend who is a surgeon herself suggested I'd find it very interesting to be awake during my TKR and that the orthopaedic surgeon could talk me through it. I like a challenge and had had two pleasant and relaxing cataract ops, so it was worth considering the prospect. I'm a nurse myself and have worked in theatres, so I wasn't scared as such, but the idea of noisy drilling and sawing and hammering bits were definitely off putting! Often surgery is a refined and delicate process, but orthopaedics isn't. I don't think ear plugs or music would've been much help.

The dilemma resolved because I wasn't suitable for spinal anaesthesia. Of course, there isn't that nice nerve block effect with general anaesthesia, but they did use a lot of long acting local anaesthetic at the op site and that kept me comfortable overnight and some of the next day. Day 2 was grimmer, but I noticed that other patients found it sore then, irrespective of anaesthetic method. Not sure type of anaesthetic made much difference to our postoperative pain by then.

As long as you're asleep and they manage your pain afterwards, modern anaesthetics are pretty safe.

• Posted

I too wasn't suitable for the spinal tap which was discovered 5 minutes before he was going to injection my spine.

He then it would be better to give me a general.

It as ok when I came round - I didn't feel sick at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.