general anaesthetic or epidural for Knee replacement

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi. Had PKR on right knee in October 2015 under general anaesthetic with an epidural and was very sick afterwards which I expected to happen. Due to have left knee replacement in two weeks time and even though I was sick I think I am going to have a general anaesthetic again as I really just want to to be put under and woke up after it is all finished.

Anyone got any comments on what anaesthetic they think is best and why. Prefer not to have any idea what is happening.

would like to say how wonderful this forum is and how much it helped me the first time round.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey l had spinal anaesthetic  12 wks ago you are not aware of anything as they put a drip in hand l don't even remember it being done,they prefer the spinal because they say it will help with the pain when you come round. Good luck keep posting.
  • Posted

Hi l had spinal brilliant and it gives you a few hours of pain relief after, like previous follower one second l was lying on table they did something on my hand sat me up the next thing l remember is waking up in recovery all done.
  • Posted

Tracy,

i am am in the states.  I had 2 nerve blocks and then they put me out for surgery.  My nerve blocks back of leg lasted 24 hours...front of leg above knee was what they called a pain ball...continuous numbing med t

they removed it the day I left hospital...2 days after surgery.  Then pain meds every 4 hours too.

• Posted

Hi Tracy

I had a spinal block and a light sedation with my TKR. I was so scared that I would wake during my surgery and hear things. I did wake during the surgery but I don't remember a thing.

I woke up without any nausea and pain. Hope all goes well for you for your second TKR.

• Posted

Hi, Pam,

Big chicken me would have nothing to with an epidural. Had. PKR two years ago and a total 9 weeks ago. Both under general anesthesia. I believe I was given propafal (sp.) both times ( and two colonoscopies but that's TMI) but all times awoke after having a great nap. No headache, no nausea, no after effects. You may need to have more conversation with the anesthesiologist.  Don't be afraid to ask questions. As to the pain afterward- the nerve block works as well as the other meds

• Posted

Hi Tracy!

If you don't have any physical problems with general anesthesia I DEFINITELY would recommend that route!

I had a spinal with my second child, and I was 100% awake and aware of EVERYTHING. For a birth that is GREAT. Listening to them sawing bones and banging around INSIDE your knee....UH...NO! I would NOT want any part of THAT!

For both of my TKRs I was under, WAAAY under. That was a VERY GOOD THING in my opinion!

• Posted

Cheryl, when you have a spinal with TKR you are not awake during the surgery.  They also give you a sedative (like the dentist gives you for an extraction), so you are not aware of anything until after the surgery.

Tim the CPA

• Posted

THAT'S good to know! I can't imagine hearing all the pounding and sawing!

During my second C-section with our second son I had a spinal and was WIDE AWAKE! My husband was doing video, my two surgeons were discussing their CARS (!). I was having a ONE-ON-ONE discussion with my awesome anesthesiologist. It was a lot like a cocktail party without the cocktails!

• Posted

sounds like fun!

Because i have other health issues, I was advised to have the general.

I dont know what's going on anymore.

I am 8 weeks post op and i feel like i am going backwards.

I am going to keep off those ibrufen tonight. They dont agree with me and seem to give me awful back ache the next day.Also I am highly constipated, which doesnt help.

I am on the co-codomol, two every four hours.

I am so fed up because now when Im driving its like the foot on my operated leg  is stuck to the pedal. I have to keep stopping to take my leg off the pedal.

What is that all about? 

I remember before the op the same thing would happen but i put it down to the osteoarthritius in my knee.

I can work it out now whilst  Im typing. Swelling in the knee causes my foot to do that.

Or if anybody has got any ideas I would be grateful.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl I was scared that I would hear lots of banging etc and wasn't like that at all. One of the staff loved going camping, like me, so we spent a lot of the time sharing details about our favourite campsites!
    • Posted

Hi RooQ!

I'm glad your experience was pleasant while your surgery was going on! SO happy you didn't have to hear anything unpleasant.

Are you doing well? Sure hope so!

• Posted

Hiya I am twelve months on almost to the day and, touch wood, am really happy with my new knee. I did a five mile walk with the dog this morning and reflected back on my inability to walk a 100 metres without pain prior to my TKR. Hope all goes well with your op.
    • Posted

Glad you are able to walk your dog and actually be able to enjoy the walk without having to deal with pain.

I had my first TKR last June and my second TKR last October. Both were under general anesthetic. I had no complications with either procedure.

I'm doing well. I have stiffness as is typical from what others have said, but I also have arthritic joints throughout my body that produce pain and stiffness. At least TWO of my joints though (knees!) are good. I am very grateful for that!

Take care!

Hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Ha ha you seem to be coping extremely well and glad to hear how smoothly both your ops went. You take care too 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.