general anaesthetic or epidural for Knee replacement

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi. Had PKR on right knee in October 2015 under general anaesthetic with an epidural and was very sick afterwards which I expected to happen. Due to have left knee replacement in two weeks time and even though I was sick I think I am going to have a general anaesthetic again as I really just want to to be put under and woke up after it is all finished.

Anyone got any comments on what anaesthetic they think is best and why. Prefer not to have any idea what is happening.

would like to say how wonderful this forum is and how much it helped me the first time round.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had TKR on 3/21.  I had a spinal with heavy sedation, they gave me Versed pre op and when I got into the OR I was quite out of it, I remember nothing.  On the plus side I was able to do therapy that night and able to go home day 2.  
  • Posted

I had TKR on 3/21.  I had a spinal with heavy sedation, they gave me Versed pre op and when I got into the OR I was quite out of it, I remember nothing.  On the plus side I was able to do therapy that night and able to go home day 2.  
  • Posted

Hi I had a spinal block and was offered sedation if I required it, I didn't need it as the radio was on, the staff were chatting with me and the whole thing was over fairly quickly. I did hear some banging about, but it all felt very removed from me, reminded me of having some work being done in a different part of the house ie: aware of it, but not a problem. I liked the fact that I was alert and able to eat afterwards and the anaesthetic provided some pain relief for several hours after.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy and best wishes on your upcoming tkr.😊

I'm 50 years young and I've had both knees replaced this year. My right on Jan 22/16, and the left on March 8/16 (Both my legs have our family trait of being bowed, and that did not mix well with my avid love for running) Both knees were done totally with an epidural without general anesthetic at all. Instead, I was told that with the epidural, I would be in a deep "twilight" state. Like you'd be if you were having your wisdom teeth removed, but an even deeper sedation. All l know is that I've gone both routes. General for a previous ACL repair, and epidural in twilight for both knee replacements,which were far more invasive than the ACL repair. Hands down, I would do epidural in twilight again. It was wonderful to wake up with minimal drowsiness and no anesthesia nausea.

The nurse had me up and walking. for both surgeries within a couple of hours of waking. The nurse walking with you also feels better knowing you aren't groggy still from your surgery.

I hope this helps. It's a tough surgery, from beginning to beyond but my right knee at 12 weeks is showing me some light at the end of the tunnel.And from some of what I've read the one year mark is supposed to be a time when theses knees really start to feel like they're a natural part of you...Hallelujah! I look forward to that!

Blessings and Best Wishes to you!

• Posted

Hi Tracy and best wishes on your upcoming tkr.😊

I'm 50 years young and I've had both knees replaced this year. My right on Jan 22/16, and the left on March 8/16 (Both my legs have our family trait of being bowed, and that did not mix well with my avid love for running) Both knees were done totally with an epidural without general anesthetic at all. Instead, I was told that with the epidural, I would be in a deep "twilight" state. Like you'd be if you were having your wisdom teeth removed, but an even deeper sedation. All l know is that I've gone both routes. General for a previous ACL repair, and epidural in twilight for both knee replacements,which were far more invasive than the ACL repair. Hands down, I would do epidural in twilight again. It was wonderful to wake up with minimal drowsiness and no anesthesia nausea.

The nurse had me up and walking. for both surgeries within a couple of hours of waking. The nurse walking with you also feels better knowing you aren't groggy still from your surgery.

I hope this helps. It's a tough surgery, from beginning to beyond but my right knee at 12 weeks is showing me some light at the end of the tunnel.And from some of what I've read the one year mark is supposed to be a time when theses knees really start to feel like they're a natural part of you...Hallelujah! I look forward to that!

Blessings and Best Wishes to you!

• Posted

Pleased to say that my op went ahead as planned on the 13th April. This was TKR unlike PKR on my right knee. Opted for epidural and sedation as general anaesthetic makes me very sick. Was aware of some of the things going on but nothing frightening. Unfortunately I was once again very sick after the operation as it seems that I am very sensitive to lots of medication including pain relief. After a trial of a combination drugs I am  now on tramadol plus anti sickness and naproxen. Pain was alot worse this time and my bend was initially slow so had to stay in hospital for4 days untill i could get to the magic 90 degree bend.  Now back home doing my physio with a very swollen knee but the pain is already getting less, maintaining 90 degress bend during phsyio and walking somewhat stiffly without any aid. Hopefully things will condtinue to improve and the hospital will be happy with my progress when I return on the 27th for a check up.

Thanks for all the encouragement and good wishes.

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.