Generics, can they make you feel this bad?

Posted , 26 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline for 8 months, it has been a slow but steady journey, I have been feeling my old self finally. Then when I got my prescription I noticed that it was a different generic. I thought nothing of it, but gradually through the week I have been on a downward spiral, anxious and a bit low, and today I have not been able to stop crying. I cannot believe that in a week I could become so different, I realise now that it is from the 2nd day of taking them that I started to feel bad. I am desperate to know if anyone else has had this experience, I will, of course speak to my consultant tomorrow - but any help would be good!

4 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all

this is such an interesting problem. Here are a few views of a pharmacist, if it helps!

We pharmacists have a sort of standard answer when patients come back and say the cheap generic we've given them (because that's what's on their prescription) doesn't agree with them or doesn't work or gives them side effects.....we say all generic drugs have to be made to certain standards and must show 'bioequivalence' to the original product, I.e. Lustral brand in the case of sertraline, and we are unable to give you lustral due to costs, and we say this all in good faith, because in honesty, this is all true. BUT.....I for one, know that the reality is different to this, as we are all different! And all the generic copies are bound to be slightly different as other posters have said, the inactive ingredients DO contribute some activity, especially with regards to allergies to colourings.

So, I just wanted to say, I do have sympathy and wish I could give each patient exactly the brand they feel best on, but I cant!  If the script says 'sertraline' I can give any brand and will be reimbursed for cheap sertraline, a set price. If the script says 'lustral' I can only give you lustral, and as such will be reimbursed the set price of this.....a lot more than generic.  I have worked in loads of different pharmacies as I'm a locum, and can say that I advise you all to shop around, as different pharmacies vary in their ability to obtain your preferred generic make.....so always ask the pharmacist if it's something they can do.

your doctor will be under pressure to reduce their prescribing costs so it is unlikely they'll start prescribing you the brand of lustral, but I do know some patients seem to get lucky here, and seem to have persuaded their doctor to write lustral. Well done to them I say! Often, the hospital doctors will be used to writing the brand (effects of company drug reps are influential) so you start on lustral, then your GP takes over and of course you feel fobbed off with cheap drugs. I believe patients when they say a generic has caused their condition to worsen, but I can't do anything about it if you want the brand, only the prescriber can. But i can try and obtain a particular manufacturers generic for you. 

another point is, some large pharmacy chains DO supply you with lustral even if your script says sertraline, as they have a deal with Pfizer as they buy in large quantities, so just to add even more confusion, some days you may well receive lustral when you weren't expecting it! 

Ive had so many people specifically request Dr reddy brand of other drugs, eg., clopidogrel, saying it's the only one they feel works, and funnily enough, also loads of ppl saying 'never give me Dr reddys brand'......so what does this tell us!? We have so much choice in this country and our wonderful NHS gives us so much for free, we are very spoilt if we can choose the brand of our tablets. I believe Dr reddys are made in India though, and I can only imagine their GMP (good manufacturing practice) is shall we say different to the uk!

always bear in mind your condition can change, and it's very hard to prove causation, as it could always be coincidence, so don't always blame the generic drug, but that said, I do believe problems can be caused by generics and your doctor should listen to your concerns. Fakes and counterfeit drugs are a separate issue though, generics aren't fakes. They're legal and genuine and tested. Always report adverse effects via yellow card system.

sorry to have rambled on! Good luck all.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for your unbiased views on the subject which I totally understand.

The interesting word is "bioequivalence" which I checked on Wikipedia and it says in part:

"two pharmaceutical products are bioequivalent if they are pharmaceutically equivalent and their bioavailabilities (rate and extent of availability) after administration in the same molar dose are similar to such a degree that their effects, with respect to both efficacy and safety, can be expected to be essentially the same."

Interesting it points out they will never be identical when it states "the same molar dose are similar" and shows a graph to illustrate this.

Agreed everybody is different and what works for one may not work for another whether that be the original drug Lustral or a cheaper generic, in fact there is one post I read where the poster stated he had so many side effects with Lustral but when he changed to a generic it all calmed down and he was fine!

A couple of years ago I was on Lustral for a short time and had 'slight' side effects but when I was put on Sertraline last December it was a generic (Accord) and the side effects were bad but as you say conditions can change so who knows if it was the drug or me! The thing is I feel fine now on 50mg.

Your post is so helpful, please could I have your permission to copy and paste it to other posts of mine if necessary obviously accrediting you as the author and to also include a link to show where it's been taken from?

Thanks again and I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,  thanks for that very helpful post!  I originally posted my comment several weeks ago regarding an apparently Lustral generic called Aremis - the difference between this and standard generic Sertraline being the outer packaging which implied it was 'masquerading' as the genuine Prizer Lustral.  The blister pack was decidedly NOT Lustral, and the tablets themselves have Aremis embossed on them.  Although on the foil pack, there is a paper sticker stating "Lustral", and Waymade Plc.  I switched  over to Boots and the pharmacist there was wonderful, and immediately ordered the genuine article, as that was what my doctor stated on the script.  Another blip today though, and again the Aremis slipped in! It's the outer packaging which is worrying though, as it's very misleading...they have even spelt Pfizer wrong and its a much larger box, apart from being very similar.  I find this a tad concerning to be honest and urge everyone to be very careful about this.  Thank you so much for your very honest post, which really helps folks to understand what is going on from your side.  Also most importantly, to hear you accepting what we are saying here - that there most certainly CAN be an enormous difference in the efficacy of generic meds.  I'm living breathing proof of this.  And I am not hypochondriacal or neruotic - neither are any of the posters here I would wager!  So thank you again for your post, and your understanding and explanation.
  • Posted

Im taking 30 ml citalopram (daily) and 5ml diazepam When required) for severe generalised anxiety disorder/ depression and agoraphobia.

My chemist often changes my citalopram from one generic to another.

My chemist seems to think that I am imagining that every time they switch generics on me I relapse.

I have experienced what I can only describe as withdrawal effects and side effects at the same time.

At christmas time I wanted to end my life because I had enough of feeling ill all the time. 

I felt better again up until a few days ago, I'm now experiencing mania and the only factor that has changed in my life is the brand of citalopram.

My chemist assures me that all generics are identical and the only difference is what each tablet is coated in.

I went to a diffirent chemist recently to ask him if he could guarantee a specific brand every month and that I specificaly did not want the Almus brand of citalapram. He told me that Almus dont even make citalopram, they just make the boxes!

Perhaps its not a specific brand thats making me ill, perhaps its just that I get used to one brand but then my chemist swaps me for another in order to save money.

I really feel as if Im loosing my mind. sad

• Posted

Hi Scott, I'm on Sertraline and when the local chemist gave me a different brand it had adverse effects. It seems my chemist is more understanding than yours as they have agreed to always give me the same brand!

Have a read of sarah17507's post about 4 above this one, she gives some really helpful info.

• Posted

I think in the last few months ive had almus, activis, teva and medreich brands, all generic citalopram and everytime Ive switched, I've been extremely ill within a few days.
    • Posted

Hi Scott, that sounds absolutely awful...what a nightmare you are having.  I understand 100% and have been through that nightmare myself.  I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile going back to your GP and discussing it with him/her.  If there is a particular brand of Citalopram you know suits you, you ought to ask your doctor to state specifically on your prescription THAT brand, at all times.  The pharmacist has a duty to provide you with that brand, and nothing else.  They are duty bound.  Your message was written 2 months ago, if you read this please write and let us know how you are doing.  Thats my advice ..... from personal experience I'm sure it's the best way to handle your problem.
    • Posted

Hi. I has a really bad experience after my post. I managed to cut down the citalopram to 2.5 ml but i was also taking diazepam sporadically to prevent a panic attacks when i felt them coming on.

I went nearly 13 days without diazepam and to cut a long story short, i ended up in hospital.

I had severe psychosis, tremor and to be honest i think i was close to having a seizure.

This happened multiple after i came out of hospital over the next 2 weeks.

I ended up seeing a sympathetic doctor who agreed that i was sensitive to the changes in thr brands of citalopram which was leading me to take more diazepam and then when i stopped taking the diazepam I was experiencing sudden diazepam discontinuation syndrome (which can be fatal) because of the sporatic use over the years.

The doctor has now put me on escatalopram which i thing is fantastic (no side effects) and a stable dose of diazepam which we are planning to slowly reduce over the next few months.

I am feeling much better now. Im not looking forward to reducing the diazepam though.

Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

Sorry for the spelling mistakes. im using my touch screen phone.
    • Posted

Hi Scott, gosh that sounds absolutely awful for you and I'm very glad indeed that you have stablised. Hats off to that doctor who listened to you and acknowledged your points!  That's a rare thing.  It makes me so mad to be honest....I wish there was something we could do to raise awareness.  The problem is money related of course, but add to that the fact that we are talking about mental health here, and you are likely to be tarnished with the "oh he/she's just being paranoid - it's all in the mind" etc etc.  As I said before though, if you have found medication which working for you, make a pact with your doctor and pharmacist - they must ensure that you get the same drug, same brand, every time! Good luck.
  • Posted

This message is more or less copied and pasted in reply to Sarah, below... I originally posted my comment several weeks ago regarding an apparently Lustral generic called Aremis - the difference between this and standard generic Sertraline being the outer packaging which implied it was 'masquerading' as the genuine Prizer Lustral.  The blister pack was decidedly NOT Lustral, and the tablets themselves have Aremis embossed on them.  Although on the foil pack, there is a paper sticker stating "Lustral", and Waymade Plc.  I switched  over to Boots and the pharmacist there was wonderful, and immediately ordered the genuine article, as that was what my doctor stated on the script.  Another blip today though, and again the Aremis slipped in! It's the outer packaging which is worrying though, as it's very misleading...they have even spelt Pfizer wrong and its a much larger box, apart from being very similar.  I find this a tad concerning to be honest and urge everyone to be very careful about this. There most certainly CAN be an enormous difference in the efficacy of generic meds.  I'm living breathing proof of this.  And I am not hypochondriacal or neruotic - neither are any of the posters here I would wager!  I think if people following this topic and have had a bad experience with Generics, they should definitely go back to their GPs and if they know of a brand which they like, and is proven itself to be consistent in quality and suits them they should demand that the doctor writes that brand name on their script, rather than the generic Sertraline.  Many years ago, this is what happened to me - cost saving - he switched from Lustral to Sertraline and I trotted off happily, not worrying in the slightest.  Every month it seemed, my package was different ie a differnt generic.  But I was neither up nor down.  But THEN...the nighmare began.  I can barely describe how atrocious it was .... not just extreme anxiety, verging on suicidal, but physical horrors too -  hair falling out, severe sickness....I can't even bring myself to write down what I went through. It was hell, and I was immediately given diazepam and  referred to a phychologist.  Yet still my GP negated my assumption that 'maybe it's down to the different medication brands?"  I truly feel deeply that not enough is being done to address this problem, and it may be because we just don't know for sure how big it is!  Most patients, I assume, and their doctors are really not aware of the possibility that the reason why they aren't well, or were well and now relapsed, is that the quality of the drug is not up to scratch....or at best consistent.  Sorry to ramble, but this is such a major issue.  I think it should be highlighted in the mainstream media, and a national campaign run to raise awareness.  I would battle to have it brought to the attention of the public, because the pharma companies seem to have the upper hand.   Just how strict can the guidelines be adheared to, if your medication is manufactured in India?! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your post. I've had similar experience this past week with Aremis and I can't begin to tell you how awful it's been. I share your comments and thanks for your post as it made me realise that I wasn't going totally bonkers!!!!
  • Posted

Approx 10 days ago I collected my prescription from Boots and I've always insisted on having Lustral sertraline made by Phzer. I had a bad experience previously on a generic! (Although prior to Lustal I was on Dr Reddy and had no problems on them)

10 days ago boots insisted they were giving me Lustral but the packaging looked different and the tablet packaging had aremis on it. I queried it with the pharmacist and she assured me it was lustral and what I would normally have.

After a few days I noticed I wasn't feeling "myself" and my partner said I sounded flat but I didn't put 2 and 2 together until this weekend when I absolutely was unconslable and crying and crying. I'm as flat as a pancake and feel worse than before I was prescribed sertraline (although they've been a miracle for me).

My dr was great and today I've collected a new prescription of lustral just like my old ones. I hope in a few days I'll be back to myself.

Pinky Book thanks for your post - reading you'd had similar experience and phoned Phzer made me feel so much better,

Insist on th Lustal Phzer brand!

• Posted

Hi. I'm not sure if it's just you who can see this or everyone in the group. Not that it matters really. I found this web site a few months ago and found it sooo helpful. Without wanting to sound dramatic, it sort of saved my life. I thought I was going mad when my prescription changed, but this site assured me that I wasn't. I am so grateful for that. Thank you everyone who has posted. 

After many months I have now been prescribed Lustral but am confused. Do I have the 'proper' one? Some people are spelling it Phzer and some Pfizer. Mine says Pfizer Lustral 50mg Film coated tablets Sertraline.

I'd be grateful for any information that would help. I have waited months and practically begged for this and am concerned now that I have the same old stuff I've been having.

Many thanks  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.