Genital herpes or jock itch/ yeast infection?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 2 months ago. I was given a viral culture and a PCR test which both came back negative. I also had my only recent partner tested with an IGG blood test 3 weeks after we had sex and she was negative for both types. I had recently taken the IGG and IGM tests at six and a half weeks post-exposure. I was negative for both types for the IGG test and positive on the IGM. I recently visited my family doctor who said I don't have any signs at this point of herpes. He diagnosed me with jock itch. I was prescribed an oral medication that is one dose and is supposed to clear yeast infection / jock itch symptoms and it has done so for the most part. I am very confused because I had red bumps on my penile shaft near the base after the sexual encounter. It had cleared up in about 2 weeks but recently I have been experiencing a red sagging scrotum that doesn't itch or burn. This has cleared up sense I took the oral medication prescribed for fungal infections. I am planning on taking the IGG again at 3 months and I hope I can finally move on from this nightmare. I have been extremely tired and irritable sense this has happened. However since I took this pill called Diflucan I have felt a lot better. Maybe this means that this was either a yeast infection or jock itch. However when I had the red bumps my previous doctor said he was positive it was herpes. I'm so distressed over this and I really don't know what or who to believe right now. I'm just hoping I can get some answers and if anyone has any ideas or can provide me with some information as to what this is please do so. My symptoms have been as follows red bumps that had fluid and burst with no pain and healed with scab. Red sagging scrotum and it seems like my genitals were inflamed, anal itching (was diagnosed as well with hemmoroids however little to no pain), extreme fatigue, irritablity, had a white coating on my tongue at one point, had a large hive- like growth on my penis shaft that disappeared, and blurry vision. I know this is a lot but if anyone has any ideas please share thank you.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The ELISA is thought to cross-react with more than just hsv1. They do not know entirely what trips it up (some but not all of it is hsv1), but as U-WA has gotten increasing numbers of low positive ELISAs for confirmation, more of those low positives have turned up true negative. Actually more show indeterminate on western blot and they are doing studies to figure out what it is, since it's not herpes.

• Posted

I read of someone with an ELISA over 8 who scored indeterminate on western blot. I don't believe it's all as clear cut as many think, esp the ELISA.

• Posted

I have read all of that, too, but it's not something to worry about unless you get a low positive by HerpeSelect IgG. Very few high positives are false; not enough to doubt all IgG results. Might be better to use another blood test other than HerpeSelect, as that is the kit with these issues. That's also why swab tests are always best, and pcr is very accurate, fyi.

• Posted

Thanks. I don't know it all by kit, but I saw a discussion out at westover clinic where they said more like half of those low positives were coming up negative on WB. The more low positives they put through WB, the broader cases they are able to measure and I have seen some recommend low positive as up to score 5. I have also seen physician/patient discussions online about cross-reactivity that seemed to say it doesn't matter the score, if the Elisa is reacting to, say, varicella or ANA. At any rate, point is the WB is there and quite accessible for anyone wanting to confirm an Elisa or other result.

• Posted

Did you guys see the outcome posted from the guy who got type 2 on his back and arm only? Recurred a lot although he's still in year 1. The amount of stigma when this thing can transfer anywhere is ridiculous.

• Posted

I just realized my score on the igm was 2.63 isr. Is this considered a low positive?
    • Posted

The whole low false positive business relates only to IgG. The IgM test is unreliable and inaccurate for herpes, and should not have been ordered. The CDC does not recommend it.
    • Posted

My igg results were

Type 1: 0.26

Type 2: 0.07

It seems unlikely it could be type 2 right?

Of all things, I hope it isn't type 2. Even type 1 for me wouldn't be bad, knowing the low recurrence rates as well as low transmission rates. This test also indicates I have never had type 1. Odd to me because I used to get what i thought were cold sores when I was younger (blisters that filled with fluid on my lip that would hurt if I tried to pop them. They were that frequent but would appear sometimes after I shaved)

• Posted

I did, but if legit, that is a *most* unusual case. Not common at all, and even Terri Warren would be sceptical, I'm sure!

The cross-reactivity is between the HSV1 and HSV2 G glycoprotein, or possibly another protein unique to some individuals. Varicella et al. should not cross-react.

• Posted

Not that frequent*
    • Posted

It's possible for the IgG test to miss one in four cases of HSV-1. Either that or what you had was not oral herpes! Accuracy is much higher for the HSV-2 IgG test, subject to correct window testing and this low false positive business that sometimes occurs. You were definitely negative for Type 2 at the time of testing, and probably still will be at 3 months.

• Posted

I appreciate your feedback. That is reassuring to hear because I have been stressing this thing since it happened. I would love to get myself back again but it's hard for me to move on without knowing what happened. For what it's worth I'm not very sexually active person this one night stand where I contracted something I was only the second sex partner I've ever had. So I don't know if that lowers my risk for Contracting this. She also recently told me she had a yeast infection a week or two before we had sex but she took medication and it was supposed to clear up although they told her it may come back. I took a dose of Diflucan and it seems to have helped with my fatigue levels my red sagging scrotum which is still a little red but has improved a lot. I'm thinking since this happened it must have been some kind of fungal infection like my doctor said. He diagnosed me with jock itch although it is not looked at as a traditional STD. That's why I'm so confused because I know I contracted something from her because almost immediately after we had sex I started having these symptoms I've never had before. So if it's not herpes I know it has to be something and possibly it could be a yeast infection or jock itch or something. I really don't know what else to think. A lot of the symptoms I have fallen to the yeast / fungal infection category but with herpes symptoms varying so widely I believe it may also be that. All of the research I have done does not explain a red saggy scrotum as a symptom of herpes though.

• Posted

I was even thinking it could have been follicultis. I had a lot of pubic hair at the time and the red bumps I had we're in the middle of all of my pubic hair. And this rash I have now could be from that spreading.

• Posted

I am getting another IGG ELISA done today at 9 weeks post-exposure. What is the seroconversion rate during this time? If i test negative again, can i be confident i don't have herpes?

• Posted

Usually, it's 3 months (12 weeks) minimum for the IgG test to capture the vast majority of serconversions, so that's what I always advise. However, a negative IgG at 9 weeks that *also* shows negligible change from your earlier IgG results would be extremely reassuring and near definitive. However, I'm still a stickler for the 3-month window, lol.

• Posted

Thank you! I plan on getting the igg again at 3 months im just very impatient right now and the test is already ordered so I just need to go in and get it. I should have my results this week sometime. I believe I read its about 90 percent accurate at 9 weeks, not sure how much truth that holds.
    • Posted

Just got my igg back at 9 weeks.

Hsv1. 20(decrease from .26 at 6 and a half weeks)

Hsv2 .07 (no change)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.