Genital HSV-1.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Life after diagnosis. Words of Encouragement. Here's my story.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and I wanted to share my story and a few encouraging words.

When I was 18, I was diagnosed with Genital HSV-1. I was once that young girl on every forum and blog site looking for answers. Up all night and day looking for something or someone's story to relate to what I was going through. I was devastated and my boyfriend at the time couldn't take the news and he broke up with me. I was so depressed and heartbroken. After that, I didn't date until I was about 21 because of my fear of rejection. There wasn't a day that didn't go by that I didn't think about this diagnosis. One thing about having GH is you have to choose your partners wisely. You have to be honest about your diagnosis and if that person cant accept you, they are not for you. I only dated guys who seemed genuine and disclosed my diagnosis after a few dates. No one ever turned away from me. Eventually I found my husband, we fell in love right away. I knew he was the one and told him on the third date. He said it didnt matter, he loved me..for me. We eventually stopped using condoms.We havent used a condom in 6 years.I didn't have another breakout until two months ago ( Im now 28)... and that was because I have been really stressed and my immune system has been compromised. I was prescribed Valtrex and within a week, all was well. Nothing has changed, we still have unprotected sex. If I notice anything, we will back off for awhile while I take my medication.

My point is, there is Love, Life and Happiness after being diagnosed. It is hard but you have to accept it and move forward. Don't let GH ruin your life. Most people are plagued by the stigma that comes with GH. There IS light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone has any questions or just need someone to talk to... Inbox me.

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for your post! I too contracted GHSV1 February 2016. I am still struggling coming to terms with it and think about it every single day! I'm single at the moment and dread telling future partners as I'm so scared they will run for the hills. I tend to go for cocky jack the lad type guys, which is probably my downfall. I need to find a nice genuine guy who wants to be with me for me but its so hard to find this type of guy! I'm not going to lie I was seeing someone few months back and I didn't disclose it, I feel terrible! But I just couldn't bring myself to tell him, I was so scared. Thank god he didn't catch anything! But I just don't want to get close to anyone for the simple fact of having to tell them about my herpes. I can't even bring myself to say herpes out loud makes me feel disgusting.

I've had one outbreak, my initial one which was horrific, but I was aboad at the time (Vietnam) went to a local hospital and they just said it looked like I had cut myself and it was infected, but I had all the visible sores I knew it was herpes I just don't think they were educated enough. So still to this day I'm not 100% certain I have it but I would say 99%. Over a year has passed and few weeks back I had one small bump, not sure if it was a recurrence or ingrown hair. I just feel lost tbh and feeling quite depressed. Sorry for the long story sometimes it's best to just let it all out I suppose.

So you say you have unprotected sex have you passed it over to your partner? Or any partners since you have had it? Have they have blood test etc to check?

• Posted

Hi J,

Honestly, I was just like you. It took a while for me to come to terms with this. What helped me was sites like this. Educating myself and the support of my family. I didn't tell my whole family but a few. They helped me through it. Alot of people already have the herpes virus in their system. Some people are just carriers and dont have any symptoms or outbreaks. Yes, me and my husband have unprotected sex. In the past ,I might have slipped up with a ex or two by not using condoms. You would think after being diagnosed with GH I would get my act together. Anywho, to my knowledge, I haven't given it to anyone.

Getting blood work done to see if you have GH is complicated. I say this because you can have HSV shown in your blood panel but they still wont know the location( orally or genitally) until you have a outbreak. How we're you diagnosed? Did you get blood work done and a culture swab?

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I hope I get to a point where I feel like it isn't taking over my life! Where I feel comfortable disclosing it to a future partner/family member/ friend. I have only told one friend and she hasn't been very supportive just told me not to worry! Much easier said than done. I am a sexual person who has always enjoyed sex, likes to feel good and sexy! But with herpes I never feel this way, even with my last partner the sex wasn't good as I just couldn't relax, I was never getting wet down below it was just unpleasant as I just had herpes on my mind!

I haven't been diagnosed properly, as I was abroad when it happened, I stupidly let a guy give me oral, couple days later I had the blisters, terrible pain going to the toilet, couldn't walk properly it was just awful! I went to a local hospital in Vietnam to get checked out they just took a look and said looks like an infected cut and just to keep it clean. I was certain I had herpes from reading things online. Anyway I was away in Vietnam for 2 months, so by the Time I got back home I was all back to normal. I went to my gp who just said sounds like herpes, just recommended a swab if I get any other outbreak. So I'm just waiting really, probably one of the reasons I can't move on.

• Posted

Hello Jessica heres my story

August of last year i had my first ever out break it was horrible.. my husband and i have been together for 17 years. Ive had it all these years and had no clue. Ive had 2 kids and of course i thought they checked for EVERYTHING when u find out youre pregnant well they dont.. so almost a year ago my hubby and i had really rough sex and i tore a little nit so i thought.. we that tear turned into a cluster of blisters. Went to the dr they did a swab and came back hsv 2..i was devastated. How was i going to tell him this?? I sucked it uo and told him.. one of the hardest things in my life. Weve both been faithful for 17 years how does this happen? I started antivirals and i havent had an outbreak since.. we have a great sexlife. I still enjoy oral sex. The is so much stigma behind this skin condition ( thats really what it is) that its not fair that everyone freaks out..

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I'm glad you were able to talk to your husband about it, I know how scary that conversation can be! Did your husband get tested?

• Posted

My husband has never been tested. Even if he did test positive for HSV-1, until he has an outbreak, we won't necessarily know the location.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, thanks for posting your words of encouragement. It's nice to come across a real story with hope. I just had one question does your husband have immunity to hsv by having it orally at all? I have gsv1 genital and my partner is negative for hsv 1 so I just wondered if your situation was the same? Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

My husband has never had an outbreak orally since I've known him. He could be a carrier but I'm not sure. Maybe so for the simple fact he has never contracted HSV genitally from me. Honestly, the transmission for HSV1 genitally is really low. I'm not sure on the numbers.. my advice is to do your research!

• Posted

Thanks Jessica, I've done lots of research on it and I see the numbers are very low. Your post was reassuring to know of an actual person combined with the research I've done so thank you so much for sharing your story.

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

It's so hard to find statistics/ info on ghsv1 transmission etc so I suppose it does help to give out our personal experiences and any knowledge we have become aware of.

I've had ghsv1 for a year and a half.

I wondered how long have you been with your partner? Has he been tested to know if he carries the virus?

My biggest worry is receiving oral and the guy catching it orally as I know hsv1 does prefer the mouth so I'm worried it would be easily transmitted that way. Have you heard of this happening at all?

Sorry quite a few questions but want to know if anyone in the same position as me has transmitted the virus?

I've also read ghsv1 has a low risk of transmitting, I wonder if that just genital to gential or also genital to oral?

Any info would be great from anyone. Thank you

• Posted

YAY! That was my goal! Hope as is well and if you ever have any questions, I'm one click away!

• Posted

If you look at Dr Hunter Handsfield's posts on med help or Terri Warren on West Over Heights Clinic they talk of how the risk of catching oral hsv from you is very low. And they talk of the genital to genital risk being very low also. I found they have good information.

My partner is a new partner so I'm trying to best protect him. Its frustrating to find the info we need to do this. I hope that helps you out.

• Posted

Thanks for that Stacey I will have a look at the info you mentioned.

The worse thing about having this virus is knowing you can pass it on to someone else. I just feel I can never relax!

Maybe reading what Dr Hunter has to say may put me at ease a little more.

Thanks again and I hope you are well

• Posted

I feel exactly the same way you do about not being able to relax. Let me know if you feel what you read with Dr. Hunter makes you feel you can relax more. I'd love to hear your take on it when you've read it. I hope you are well also. Nice to be able to talk with someone who shares the same feelings and worries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.