Gerd!Any wholistic remedy cures?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Gerd last Oct.I was prescribed Omeprazole capsules,which I took for 3 mths,twice a day,then a month 1 per day.It eased off,and after having to have quite alot of time off work (I work 12 hr shifts,chest pain was worse at night,only maxed 3-4 hrs sleep per night)I returned to work feeling much better.Back at work for 3 mths,then....Gerd reared its ugly head again.I had experienced anxiety (family issues)before being diagnosed.Those family issues are still ongoing.I am now off work again due to feeling in quite alot of pain,and suffering from anxiety.I'm not sure how all this happened.One minute I was coping (Or I thought I was??)with life,the next,stricken with bad anxiety,and Gerd.

I am back on Omeprazole,and was told by my doctor yesterday I will be until Xmas,taking 2 per day,then after Xmas,one a day.I'm not particularly happy about taking these tablets.Are they just masking the issue?I'm feeling nervous that once I come off these again next year,it will flare up again.

What I'd like to know is has anyone managed to ease Gerd with a more natural approach.I am aware of my anxiety,and am practising Yoga regularly,plus meditation.Atm some days are better than others pain wise.Has anyone taken any herbal supplements thats helped them?Anything idea's would be appreciated.

I asked my doctor if Gerd is something I will be suffering with for the rest of my life.He could'nt give me a definitive answer.Does anyone else know?Can you cure Gerd?TIA

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi New Life,

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering. Stress is a major contributing factor to Gerd. You are doing the right thing by trying Yoga and meditation. For the symptoms of Gerd I have had good luck with with lifting the head of the bed by 4 to 6 inches. It keeps anything from flowing back up where it shouldn't be. I went on an acid watchers ph diet for 30 days and that helped things to begin to heal. I couldn't handle being on the meds the docs give so went the natural way. I take Slippery Elm and Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice to help heal the stomach. If you have a sore throat from the acid coming up from the stomach you can heal that with water that has a ph of 8 or above. This can be found at most health type grocery stores. There's good books written by ENT's that really help with the diet. Also, there are good support groups on Facebook too. I hope these things help you! For me the meds tended to make me worse.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about that. I know that is not easy to deal with. I have some suggestions for natural approaches to help deal with this on a daily basis. It really easy a lifestyle and I think if you're already making changes like yoga this could be a perfect fit for you. If you're interested in more information I would be more than happy to pass it along.

• Posted

There is a direct connection between the brain and the stomach.  That why people say they have a knot in their stomach or butterflies when they are about to give a speech or perform before a crowd.  After having multiple digestive issues for year, finally in 2013 the stress at work and other issues came to a head and I could not work anymore.  Fortunately I was able to retire but the symptoms persisted.  My stomach was damaged, I had severe GERD and I had lost normal bowel function.  I also had two abdominal hernias that would entrap my intestines and cause blockages.  I did some research on the esophagus and tried to find a way to strengthen the esophageal sphincter.  I finally found that I could create pressure in my stomach by drinking carbonated water.  I would hold down the burp for a few minutes and then release the air. I then increase the holding  time by five minutes each week.  It is amazing how the body wants to heal and responds when it is challenged a little.  My progress was remarkable and I now share this on this forum. Many people have tried it and some have found real relief.  Everyone is different.  Some people have sliding hernias along with GERD.  Some people have ulcerated esophagus's. You can try and see if it helps. I also have other advise but I don't want to overwhelm you.  Here's a link.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-i-cured-my-acid-reflux-naturally--402930?page=35&utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=comment-notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Patient%20Access%20EAP&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email#3215082

• Posted

Thanks Sneal and Jonathan,will try those asap.Nicholas,not sure why you sent me a pm with a link for tablets/You Tube video to help you feel younger.Totally irelevant to Gerd suffering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.