Getting banded up on the 31st!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey guys and gals.

Ive been reading this forum for a while but with my date due at the end of the month I thought I would join and ask for some tips post op. I'm in the middle of my pre-op diet at the moment and I'm doing just fine with it, protien shakes and soups have great and kept me going! Whats it like after? I've seen people on here have had immediate regrets but long term have been happy, also wanted to know if anyone else is due to go in around the same time.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, had mine done yesterday at The Yorkshire Clinic and they were wonderful. Home now and managed about 2 or 3 tablespoons of thin soup but it tasted lovely. I've had a nasty taste in my mouth all day so I just wanted any other flavour really. A little sore but not what you'd call pain so very happy and looking forward to watching the little arrow on the scales going down for a change. Good luck everyone. X
  • Posted

How's things going? X
    • Posted

I'm doing pretty good MrsH, feeling a lot more mobile the last few days and as of today I am a stone down from the start of my pre op diet (11 days ago) so I'm pretty happy with that! Can't wait to take these surgical stockings off and have a proper shower tho!
    • Posted

Good to hear your feeling OK. You hear so many horror stories that I'm so pleased I can talk to people here and get some positive experiences. I just wish I could afford to go for it now!!
    • Posted

I'm sure you will get there as well! Healthier weight have a pretty good package with regards to finance. there are too many horror stories online about this sort of stuff; all you need to do it search gastric band on Google and you get is a flood of horrific daily mail scare mongering articles. I'm sure it's a case by case basis type of thing but I think far more people are inclined to go online to talk about a bad experience then a good one and all that does is paint a negative picture. To be honest I'm feeling fine; I worked from home this week as I do several hours of motorway driving per day just to get to and from work, but this weekend I'm going out its the lads as I normally would (just have to think of an excuse as to why I'm only having soup and staying off the booze!)
    • Posted

Unfortunately healthier weight don't have any hospitals near me so I'm looking at Nuffield at the minute. I have to pay off a bank loan before I can take on any other payments so will have to wait it out. Have you told anyone what you have had done. Im thinking i will tell a select few to start with but will be honest if anyone asks.
    • Posted

No one but my girlfriend, I don't plan to either! Nooooooooo way, not that there's anything to be ashamed off but I know that my mates would give me endless stick over it. Plus there seems to be a misconception that it's "cheating" to get a band and I don't want people to think that. My advice is travel to Healtheir weight, I would have gone to the other end of the country for the service they provided, not to mention with them you get two year cover (you don't with Nuffield) so if anything goes wrong like the port flips then they will sort it no questions asked; other companies charges thousands for rectifying issues. I went with Profesor Favretti and I'm so happy I did, I basically class him as being the worlds authority on gastric bands (he was the 2nd surgeon in the world to do it and has invented the procedure of single incision which is what I had) i really think that the fact I've had no issues or pain so far is down to the care providing by healthier weight and the expertise of Professor Favretti!
    • Posted

It looks like id have quite a travel to go with them. I'm from the Newcastle area so id either have to travel down to Manchester area or up north. This is fine for opp but bot convenient for fills or if I have any problems. Not sure what to do for the best to be honest.
  • Posted

There is also Buppa and someone called spirecare not far from me. Ive never heard of spirecare though.....
    • Posted

I've heard of spire. If I were you I would be asking what more inconvieniant, if you have a problem and go to healthier weight, you may have to travel but they will fix, go with someone else, it may just be down the road but you will be charges £1500 for the pleasure
    • Posted

Don't worry I have not made a choice and I wont be making one purely on the distance but obviously that's one of the factors.
  • Posted

Hi, my op was cancelled due to complications arising under the anaesthetic.  Really disappointed but hopdfully it will be done next month instead.
    • Posted

Hi Nicola, thats such a shame I'm sorry to hear that! Will you have to pay any more money?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.