Getting my very First Surgery tomorrow on Broken and Fractured Ankle. Any Advice Helps???

Posted , 10 users are following.

Two nights ago, I tripped over a heap of Stuff in the middle of my bedroom and twisted my whole left ankle. Xrays show that my inner (right side of ankle) is broken, and the other side of my ankle is fractured. I am having my very first Surgery tomorrow (in my 38 yrs. of life) to repair the damage and I am naturally nervous. Any Advice will be truly appreciated. Thank you :-)

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mary!

Pain can be controlled by medicine. Just keep your leg elevated and have support by family and friends. 

• Posted

Including iced Ace bandages in addition is well worth doing for as many weeks as is necessary.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. It is encouraging.
  • Posted

Hope all goes well Tommorow Mary is very daunting I had my first operation on my ankle Aswell just nearly two weeks ago and I couldn't believe I had to have one I only thought I had sprained my ankle just get plenty of rest and try not too worry it's hard not too I had very little pain after wards I'm

Finding it more difficult now it's hard not being able to

Do

Anything for yourself but the time goes on and this forum

Is amazing hopefully you won't take long to recover I just keep sleeping all he time apart from

Night time i can't sleep with the uncomfortableness of this moon boot take care Mary x

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing with me. Good thing for X rays, because I thought it was just a really bad sprain, to find out it's broken and fractured. I agree this boot is uncomfortable, but I feel better wearing it as protection, rather than it being exposed and it accidentally being hit (I have 4 kids ages 9 and under). Thank you for your kind words, and I pray for God speed healing for you as well. :-)

• Posted

Same here Mary I actually went about for two days with no pin but non

Weight bearing before I went to hospital and to

Be told it was broke I was devastated I have horses and can't go to them

And can't work or anything it's just like a bad dream must be so hard for you having kids too I can't sleep with the weight of the boot but Iv to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks and it's going by so slow good luck Tommorow keep me posted how you are please xxx

• Posted

I will definitely keep you posted on everything, and Thank you for my Good luck wishes. I am really liking this forum. I'm glad I decided to make a post today. Everyone has been Positive and encouraging :-)

• Posted

Hi Mary!

Just wanted to wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Thank you for my Good luck wishes, and for your encouraging words. :-)
  • Posted

The first few days after surgery, take the pain medicine even if you don't think you need it. It's easier to stay ahead of the pain then to get the pain to go away once it's start. My pain meds could be taken every 4 hours. I took it every 4 hours even waking up at night to do so for the first few days. This enabled me to just sleep and heal. If you wait until you feel pain to take your medicine, it's too late. The pain will continue for awhile and it's not worth it.

• Posted

Thank you very much for that advice. They gave me some pain pills to take even now before surgery, and trust me, I have been taking them every few hours as prescribed, and it's just barely taking the edge off the pain, which believe me, is better than no pain relief. Hopefully they can possibly give me something a little stronger for after surgery. Again, Thank you for the information :-)

• Posted

HI Mary, 

I just wanted to say good luck in your recovery. Great forum here. Don't hesitate to reach out. I write all the time. (Even a silly question)... nothing is silly I guess.. because we are all in the same boat!

Keep us posted!

Rose

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement, as I really need it. I don't have family where I live, but do have some church friends and so far I really like this forum, because yes, we are all in the same boat and able to understand what one another is going through :-). I will definitely keep you all posted. Again Thank you for reaching out to me :-)

• Posted

You're welcome Mary. Get some of your church friends to help you out. The first couple of weeks can be a little rough. 

Good luck again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.