Getting my very First Surgery tomorrow on Broken and Fractured Ankle. Any Advice Helps???

Posted , 10 users are following.

Two nights ago, I tripped over a heap of Stuff in the middle of my bedroom and twisted my whole left ankle. Xrays show that my inner (right side of ankle) is broken, and the other side of my ankle is fractured. I am having my very first Surgery tomorrow (in my 38 yrs. of life) to repair the damage and I am naturally nervous. Any Advice will be truly appreciated. Thank you :-)

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just got back from the ER for the incision on my ankle that's not healing. What I thought was puss invading the wound is stretchy white dead skin.  It needs to be removed or it will prevent new shin from growing. 

So, now my 10 weeks of non bearing has turned into 13 weeks. I will be visiting the wound center on the 7th. The doctor hurt me today, so going forward will be a little stressful. 

• Posted

Ouch...so sorry to hear that. I didn't know that was a possibility? but I suppose anything can happen after surgery?....I Just got back from mine and am on bed rest. My whole leg feels numb. I opted for a spinal block as well as being put under anesthesia. I told her I don't want to feel anything. So now just on bed rest and took my Pain medicine they prescribed. I'm sure I will sleep good tonight (God willing), as they said the numbness will go away by tomorrow morning, which means I better stay on top of my pain medicine. make sure you keep in touch (I'm obviously not going anywhere) and will be here to talk/listen if you or anyone needs me (when I'm not drowsy/sleeping) from the medicine that is. Blessings :-)

• Posted

I had a nerve block when they did my surgery, behind my knee. So everything from the knee down was numb. It took over 24 hours for it to wear off. It definitely made the after surgery process easier. Definitely take those meds as prescribed, so you'll be ahead of the game. Glad your surgery is over and now you can focus on healing.

• Posted

Hi Mary!

Sounds like everything is going well. 

All I can say is rest and stay on top of your pain meds if you need them. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Glad all went well Mary try n get some sleep it's hard when your in hospital i hardly slept I had the block done too I didn't find it painful afterwards so

I'm

Hoping your the same I only had two paracetamol

For pain relief and some dehydracodine I was terrified the pain would be bad after the block

But it just felt numb I kept

Wiggling my toes and checking for pins and needles so glad your ok xx

• Posted

Hi :-). Thank you, I am feeling pretty good at this point. I, too keep trying to wiggle my toes but they are numb(paralyzed feeling). They gave me norcos for pain relief. I also have (degenerative disc disease and scoliosis) in my back and have trouble with my muscles in my body cramping/spasming from time to time so they gave me flexeril to relax my muscles. They also told me to take 1 bayer aspirin a day to prevent blood clots. Yes, I will get plenty of rest, fluids (water) and medicine to get to healing up. In the end right before surgery, I did not end up being as nervous as I thought, I did have an excellent, understanding staff and I think that helped me to be alot more comfortable. I am going to rest now. I will stay in touch. All of you have been awesome. Blessings :-)
    • Posted

Good night Mary hope your better in the morning having lovely nurses and medical staff definately makes a massive difference I'm

Glad you have plenty of pain relief you will be better Tommorow keep us posted on your journey I'm going to try and get some sleep can't sleep with this boot on it feels so heavy I still

Have to wear this sock thing for blood clots I never realised just how serious this could all be glad

Your resting take care xx

• Posted

Thank you so much again for your kind words. Looks like we are in this same boat for the long haul so to speak (This too shall pass) but in the meantime, the Chronic Pain and being Uncomfortable seems to linger forever. I actually woke up (after accidentally sleeping through one of my pain med dosage times) in excruciating Pain. I could literally feel everything in my ankle (especially since my spinal block wore off) so I took my 2 pain meds and a bayer, and 1 muscle relaxer, and finally after about 30 min. I got some relief to where it almost felt numb again. This is one of the most painful things I have ever been through in my life (besides 1 case of natural childbirth). Trust me that besides the medicine, you have all been a huge support. Just as I have been kept in Prayer through my Church, I have been keeping all of you in Prayer too. I am also here for you whether it be questions or just an ear to listen. Blessings <3

• Posted

Keep your head up Mary-this week is the worst part and when you get to week 2 it will get better,little by little (and I do mean little). You're lucky they kept you in the hospital, I went home the same day and that was super hard. Thank God for the nerve block so I didn't have to feel it til the next day. Don't try to do too much, I wouldn't bother getting up other than going to the bathroom. Make sure you take a stool softener or laxative because constipation and being almost non mobile is no fun. Pain meds and inactivity will constipate you pretty quickly.

?I felt a lot better once the stitches were out and I was in the boot, even though no weight bearing yet. I will be 4 weeks postop on Tuesday.

• Posted

Bless your heart! The first weeks are the worst. I promise it will get better! Hang in there!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.