Getting nervous about up coming TKR SURGERY. Should i get a ice machine or not?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm confused about my need to use a ice machine or not. My medical team said that I won't need one and ice packs will be all I need. My Daughter had shoulder surgery and she said she couldn't have lived out one. I have read it both ways here in forums but I'm still not sure and my surgery is Oct.28th, what to do,,what to do???

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That ice machine is going to become your new best friend during tkr recovery.
  • Posted

I prefer the blue gel packs over the cyrocuff machine I have. The machine was issued to me when I had a very long, tedious synovectomy that bled profusely. It also had a drain that had to be emptied frequently. I tried it with the tkr and subsequent surgeries and found it to be restrictive as far as mobility. One reason they aren't given with tkrs, at least in the US, they are pretty pricy and The Insurance companies, especially Medicare won't pay for them.

I've had a total of 11 surgeries on the leg, 6 in the last 4 years, and 5 complete rehabs. Again, my personal preference is the gel packs as the machine does require a lot of ice and more maintainence than we wanted to mess with.

Good luck with the surgery and subsequent rehab. Its a rough trip at times so don't get discouraged if it seems to drag. You'll suddenly find yourself on smooth, even roads to recovery. Stay with this forum. Everyone has been there and no matter the topic or the of day or night your new family will be there for you. I'm in the middle US and its 1 a.m. just to give you an example.

• Posted

Hi Brenda

You go with whatever you are comfortable with i used the gell ice packs found them very good as they dont totally freeze you will learn whats best for yourself best advice that i learned from this great forum is take meds as prescribed elevate ice and plenty of rest dont rush it doesnt work good luck and i wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I have been using large bags of peas and find them fantastic as they mold to your knee really well.
  • Posted

Ice ice ice ice!! Before and after, walking, physio,sleeping.  I'm 3 months and still use it. It was my best friend.  I bought a couple of wrap arounds bags at  the drug store nice and soft

I also made my own when I found out u could. It molds around your knee it's a great ice bag.   3 cups of water, 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, pour in a large freezer bag and freeze!! 

So yes yes need ice

good luck

• Posted

That's a great idea about making the ice bags. I will definitely try that and it sounds like I will need a few. Thank you for ur help.👍👍👍

• Posted

Definitely get the machine my friend had one and it did wonders for her. Unfortunately for me I had a grand total of three ice packs the entire time I was in the wreak have facility and my leg is still stiff. I think you will be very pleased with the machine
  • Posted

The ice machine is more effective. But make sure you find out what it will cost you in the end if anything.   I am in the US and I have not been billed for it. And surgery was 10 months ago. 
    • Posted

Wow Cathy,, it sounds the ice machine worked out great for you. When my Daughter rented one it costed her $25.00 a day which was crazy but she loved it and couldn't have made it without it. I will take ur advice and check out the cost before hand.😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.